Sponsored by:

BEWARE JETWASH HOSES!!

Search this Thread

Old 04 April 2004, 04:19 PM
Markyboy uk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry BEWARE JETWASH HOSES!!

Just went to treat my black MY01 to a 13min Jetwash shampoo & wax, only to get home and find that sand & grit from the lance hose has scratched my car all along the passenger side from bonnett to boot where it unavoidably made contact with the car. I'm SO ANGRY about it. Went back to the garage to ask for the manager but she is not in until tomorrow.

Anybody else had this or similar problem?

Realistically what can I expect or ask for (if anything) from them in terms of being compensated - & I'm not talking about my £4 being refunded!

Anyone know what our rights are in this regard.

Be interested to hear your comments

Mark.

Last edited by Markyboy uk; 04 April 2004 at 04:21 PM.
Old 04 April 2004, 04:32 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

go back to the garage, and where you pay for the jetwash find out if there is a disclaimer stating that you use the equipment at your own risk? if there isnt take a photograph of the foyer area, to prove there is no discalimer shown. because that is the case " i hope" your laughing and realistically you could ask for a respray at their expense!

jamo
Old 04 April 2004, 04:35 PM
WR1 Ant
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Anyone that lets a jet wash hose drag along there scoobs bodywork is a pr@t.

Sorry to sound harsh but what do you expect these things are normaly covered in grit, sand, mud etc etc
Old 04 April 2004, 04:43 PM
Hol
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

My mate used the brush at one garage only to find that the water pipe inside was scratching his car. only problem was he couldnt tell as it was covered in suds and only noticed he had scratch the whole car when he jetted the suds off.

He got no compensation as the garage claimed HE had had not checked the brush.
Old 04 April 2004, 04:46 PM
WR1 Ant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hol
My mate used the brush at one garage only to find that the water pipe inside was scratching his car. only problem was he couldnt tell as it was covered in suds and only noticed he had scratch the whole car when he jetted the suds off.

He got no compensation as the garage claimed HE had had not checked the brush.
In this case I would say the garage would (or should) be responsable for the damage.
Old 04 April 2004, 04:46 PM
andypugh2000
Scooby Regular

In my experience people wash muddy motocross bikes and off road vehicles with these things, surely you must have realised the area was "full of ****" when you drove up? I wouldn't take a rusty skoda into a jetwash let alone a shiny scoob

think you have more chance of finding rocking horse droppings than getting compensation from something that you actually caused yourself, you wouldnt sue halfords for dropping your new sponge into grit then rubbing it all over your car now would you?? Think you have to be realistic here
Old 04 April 2004, 05:42 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Sorry. but I would have thought it was pretty obvious not to let a thick rubber hose off the floor scrape along the side of your car.

Chip.
Old 04 April 2004, 06:45 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

ahh so thats why mine is scratched!
Old 04 April 2004, 06:51 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com
happened to me on my BMW scratched the sh*t out of it . NEVER USE ANY GARAGE EQUIPTMENT AS THEY ARE ALL FU*CKED DUE TO MIS USE! I see blokes washin transit vans and lorries wit them brushes . and would u really want to touch your scoob wit that? NO! stay well clear people. wash the car your self at home. M444GY
Old 04 April 2004, 06:58 PM
sooby
Scooby Regular

Just out ofinterest, the jet washes at garages keep recycling water. That way their water bill isn't so big. You can damage your car if their filtration is faulty.
Old 04 April 2004, 07:20 PM
BedHog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sooby
Just out ofinterest, the jet washes at garages keep recycling water. That way their water bill isn't so big. You can damage your car if their filtration is faulty.
I never use them anyway, but I didn't know that! You could end up shotblasting your car. Those places are definitely best avoided.

Feel for you mate, must really stand out on black as well. They too bad to polish/T-Cut out? Colour magic can be good on dark colours, not a permanent fix though. Recently used it on a car before selling it and it looked stunning afterwards.
Old 04 April 2004, 07:23 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

I know a guy who cleans some work equipment at a local garage. He washes out a pot full of an anaerobic sealant. This stuff apart from stinking will just be recycled through the system. A good reason to stay away from these things.

chip.
Old 04 April 2004, 08:06 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

I know its a bit different but a few years back I drove into a petrol station and my car hit a manhole cover (the raised type) and damaged underside of the car. (sideskirts).

I got in touch with the garage head office (BP I think it was) and after a few letters (inc estimate for repair from body shop) they posted me cheque for £800.

Took a few weeks but I got it sorted.

In todays "claims direct" world they might fight a bit harder but I am sure you can get something. I will mention it to the Mrs (Solicitor) and see what she says.

BTK
Old 04 April 2004, 08:22 PM
garangie
Scooby Regular

A good old bucket & sponge does the trick & its cheaper
Old 04 April 2004, 08:24 PM
PaulT68
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by garangie
A good old bucket & sponge does the trick & its cheaper
And you can clean the wheels, some thing a jet wash can't do.
Old 04 April 2004, 08:26 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Ahh, the society of blame that we live in... I think you're going to have to take responsibility for your own actions here

First off, there's no way on earth you can prove that the jetwash did this damage. Absolutely none.

Sorry mate, I know this sounds harsh, but you damaged your own car. If you drag your hose at home through ****e, and then drag it down the side of your car, what happens? Will you try to sue the hose manufacturer?

One of life's learning experinces. On the positive side, you may find that you can polish some of the scratches out, even stuff that looks bad.

Good luck with getting it sorted, but the way to sort it isn't to have a go at the garage.

Cheers,
Nick.
Old 04 April 2004, 08:32 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

I never use the brush - sponge it at home, but i usually wax/spot free finish my car at the jetwash to finish the cleaning.

Chip is your mate some kind of moron? If that stuff is clearly gonna get recycled and could cause a problem then he is a prize ****. Why does no1 in society give a shyte about their actions (carpark dents etc).
Old 04 April 2004, 08:34 PM
===WRX===
Scooby Regular

To be honesty matey i think you have cause to be pi$$ed at the garage, there a rules and regulations govening faulty/badly maintained equipment, and i would concider a filthy Jetway area, badly maintained, it is up to the owner of said equipment, if used by the general public, to maintain/clean it.

So i say go for it.......good luck.

and to all you nasty b*tches, why dont you just keep you sanctamonious BS to your own thoughs......"why are you putting your scoob through a jet wash".....becuase its a car plain and simple.......its a subaru, not a bloodie Enzo...get a grip....why insult the guy, he's asking for some insite, and as usual the "D*ckhead hat" has been passed about.........if you have nothing intresting to say or a least funny.........go find yourself a left handed website an enjoy yourselfs...lol

good luck anyway
Old 04 April 2004, 08:37 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by andypugh2000
In my experience people wash muddy motocross bikes and off road vehicles with these things, surely you must have realised the area was "full of ****" when you drove up? I wouldn't take a rusty skoda into a jetwash let alone a shiny scoob
I wouldn't put my Skoda through any garage forcourt treatment. I've just spent all day giving it the Wax Wizard treatment

Steve
Old 04 April 2004, 09:13 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Spoke with the Mrs - she is not confident that you will get any £££.

She said try sending a letter to head office but she said something about duty of care bla bla bla and they in theory dont have to pay.

Give it a shot and let us know what you hear.

BTK
Old 04 April 2004, 09:15 PM
andypugh2000
Scooby Regular

====WRX==== you are missing the point, it was the guy washing the car that rubbed the gritty hose across his car, when you fill up with petrol do you drag the hose across your boot when you are on the wrong side of the filler?? I dont for sure as these things rub themselves all over the ground and pick all sorts of ****e, you have to be a sandwich short of a picnic to do that

Im sorry but common sense has gone out of the window on this thread, if i get a stone chip from a car in from i dont go ranting and raving to the council about how badly maintaned the roads are, its my fault for sitting to close to the car in front. this guy DRAGGED a dirty hose across his car and that is it, his own fault end of story
Old 04 April 2004, 10:23 PM
Markyboy uk
Scooby Regular

jamo, Bedhog, billythekid, =WRX=. Thanx guys for your empathy.

I will admit that I am partly responsible, but surely the garage must bear SOME responsibility too. After all, these jetwashes are designed to leave your car looking cleaner & smarter not scratched & older. They are designed to be used OUTSIDE & if by so doing (as per their instructions) you actually damage your car in the process, that surely can't be right.

The hose was not on the floor when I arrived & it wasn't a particularly dirty area either for a jet wash.

I'll post on here tomorrow the outcome after speaking to the garage manager.

To all those who kicked a man when he was down - I hope I can do the same for you some day

Mark
Old 04 April 2004, 10:31 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Mark,

Not wishing to kick you when you're down, but if you drag anything across your paintwork it's gonna leave a mark of some kind, how is this the garage owners fault?

If the paintwork was damaged by grit in the water or by a damaged brush head then I'm sure people would have every sympathy and you'd have a good case, but dragging a rubber hose across your car is entirely your own responsibilty.

Hopefully the damage will be easily and cheaply repaired, it's not nice when something like this happens, but honestly if I were in your position I'd chalk it up to experience and not do it again.
Old 05 April 2004, 12:33 AM
Markyboy uk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
Mark,

Not wishing to kick you when you're down, but if you drag anything across your paintwork it's gonna leave a mark of some kind, how is this the garage owners fault?

If the paintwork was damaged by grit in the water or by a damaged brush head then I'm sure people would have every sympathy and you'd have a good case, but dragging a rubber hose across your car is entirely your own responsibilty.

Hopefully the damage will be easily and cheaply repaired, it's not nice when something like this happens, but honestly if I were in your position I'd chalk it up to experience and not do it again.
NotoriousREV thanx for your comment.

I agree with what you are saying in part BUT, at this jetwash it is NOT POSSIBLE to walk around your car and clean it with the lance without the hose coming into contact/dragging accross the paint work at some point -surely that IS the garage owners fault.
I'm not some moron that intentionaly drags anything across my paint work - hell - I won't even open or close my car door or boot with keys in my hand JUST IN CASE!

For the record, I didn't & never would use the brush - even on the wheels.
I will learn from this though never to use a jetwash in future. Only used it today coz I was in a hurry.
Old 05 April 2004, 01:08 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Perhaps I should stay out of this - seeing I'm one of the guys who uses them get all the mud off my Land rover after a good weekend off-roading

Still, car washes scratch and wear paint layers away, and jetwashers strip any form of wax and body protection. Making it more exposed to the elements and more likely to oxidise (if a solid colour) and loose it's shine.

I only use them if my car is seriously dirty (can't read number plate ), and I wax it again striaght afterwards.
Old 05 April 2004, 09:54 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

its your own fault for dragging the hose along the car, sheesh!!!

i mean ive worked as a valater for years, and i have my own preasure washer, and i scratched my own car by acident doing the same thing, and i didnt try to blame sumbody else (maybe my mother should have swept the drive or sumthing?? )
Old 05 April 2004, 09:55 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markyboy uk
NotoriousREV thanx for your comment.

I agree with what you are saying in part BUT, at this jetwash it is NOT POSSIBLE to walk around your car and clean it with the lance without the hose coming into contact/dragging accross the paint work at some point -surely that IS the garage owners fault.
NO its YOUR FAULT for washing your car there when you noticed there wasnt enough room!!
Old 05 April 2004, 11:36 AM
Markyboy uk
Scooby Regular

StickyMickey.

In your experience as a valter can these light(ish) scratches be polished out or masked?

What product would you recommend?

I was thinking perhaps along the lines of colour magic - but i notice the black paint on the car has like a blue flec in it - would colour magic be a bad idea on this type of paint?
Old 05 April 2004, 11:50 AM
Ch!lledBudwei2er
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markyboy uk
StickyMickey.

In your experience as a valter can these light(ish) scratches be polished out or masked?

What product would you recommend?

I was thinking perhaps along the lines of colour magic - but i notice the black paint on the car has like a blue flec in it - would colour magic be a bad idea on this type of paint?

Nothing a little Meguiars DACP wont get out, even better if you know anyone that knows there stuff and have a PC to work it in with.
Old 05 April 2004, 11:57 AM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

take it on the chin,

you ****ed it, you fix it.

Quick Reply: BEWARE JETWASH HOSES!!