Sponsored by:

New Front Tyres Now Rear Is Popping

Search this Thread

Old 04 April 2004, 03:15 PM
WR1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New Front Tyres Now Rear Is Popping

I've had two new front tyres stuck on my MY98, same as the rears they are the PZero 205/45 17". Near me is a roundabout that I usually go round no probs yet today I went round it at just under 30 and the rear just went ended up 180 degrees facing wrong way!

Now, I go round this roundabout every day often at speeds much faster and have never had a problem, sometimes feel like the car will slide but am easily able to lift off the accelerater and solve it. Today, car just went no warning (that I could sense anyway!) and I felt like I had next to no control at all. So, what's my problem now?

Have I got too much grip at the front and if so would switching the new tyres to the back solve it?

Should I replace the rear tyres as well? Was hoping not to as switching cars soon but value my life more.

Could the tyres be fitted wrong somehow?

Luckily enough there was no other cars around at the time so I'm writing this message instead of asking where a decent car shop is.

Thanks all
Old 04 April 2004, 06:47 PM
Burble
Scooby Regular

Get the same tyres all round mate.
Make sure that the tyre pressures are all the same or close.

Been there - done that.
Old 04 April 2004, 06:54 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Diesel on the floor ?
Old 04 April 2004, 07:00 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=WR1]I've had two new front tyres stuck on my MY98, same as the rears they are the PZero 205/45 17". Near me is a roundabout that I usually go round no probs yet today I went round it at just under 30 and the rear just went ended up 180 degrees facing wrong way! [quote]
Oops. In order, check the tyre pressures are right, and on the assumption they are, check you've got the same sort of tyres fitted front and back (there are a number of different types of PZero).

Today, car just went no warning (that I could sense anyway!) and I felt like I had next to no control at all. So, what's my problem now?
Are the rear tyres well worn? If so, the likelihood is that the difference in rolling radius is doing something funky to the transmission. Under ideal circumstances you should swap the tyres between front and rear axles on a regular basis to keep the wear as even as possible, and thus end up changing all four tyres at the same time.

Should I replace the rear tyres as well? Was hoping not to as switching cars soon but value my life more.
Them's the breaks. Should get a bit more for it in px if there are four nearly new tyres on it. Assuming of course you haven't already been given a px price on your WR1. If in any doubt, fit a new pair on the back as well.

Could the tyres be fitted wrong somehow?
Not if the car oversteered. Same reason would rule out release compound on the new tyres causing problems.
Old 04 April 2004, 07:06 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WR1

Have I got too much grip at the front and if so would switching the new tyres to the back solve it?
worked for me, i had the same experience myself and swapping the tyres round stopped the oversteer and didn't seem to make it understeer any more than usual.

my rears were pretty well worn at the time and i guess couldn't compete with the grip at the front.

was quite fun kicking the **** out for a while though
Old 04 April 2004, 07:22 PM
WR1
Scooby Regular

Just been and had a quick look at my tyres. The rears have about one third to one half the tread compared to the fronts to the fronts but there's still a fair amount of tread on the backs. Unscientific measurements with a key though

All the tyres have 205/45 ZR 88W on them. They all are the Asim type.

I remember when I first got the motor there was a thread saying that the Asims have to be fitted the correct way round. How would I know if they are, would looking at the tread pattern confirm?

Thanks all. I intend to talk to the garage tomorrow but good advice in advance is well appreciated.
Old 04 April 2004, 07:26 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

should be written on the tyre 'inner' and 'outer' aswell as a directional indication, worth a look just incase.