Sponsored by:

Does anyone know

Search this Thread

Old 03 April 2004, 06:24 PM
russ.
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Does anyone know

Does anyone know what insurance catorgory d means.
I went to look at a scooby today and the garage said it was insurance catorgory d and that was way the price was so low (£8995) for a my00 with 33000 miles on the clock full ssh
he said it had been stolen when it was 3 months old but recoverd
the car looks nice and drives well allthough i have never driven one dont realy know what they are like but when i came back icould not stop smiling anyone got any ideas or is it a bad idea any advice would be welcome
Old 03 April 2004, 07:37 PM
greg.g
Scooby Regular

Location: Faster than a quickshift.... get yourself a bionic arm ;)

Insurance catagory D refers to the fact that the insurance wrote the car off.
This could be because the car was not recovered for a while, and the insurance paid out in the meantime. Or it could mean that it was uneconomical to repair.
Either way, it affects the re-sale value. I do not know if it will affect future insurance quotes.

Or i could just be talking poo
Old 03 April 2004, 07:48 PM
RRB
Scooby Regular

Is that the red one that was on Ebay ? I spoke to a mate who fixes up damaged cars and he said a Cat D is a write off. Try contacting the previous owners to find out what happened

Last edited by RRB; 03 April 2004 at 07:49 PM. Reason: adding info
Old 03 April 2004, 07:59 PM
russ.
Scooby Regular

No found the car at www.lwbcarsales.co.uk the dealer said it was stolen when 3 months old
Old 03 April 2004, 07:59 PM
wanted
Scooby Regular

Insurance catagory D means that the car has been a total loss at some point, and has been written off or paid out before it was recovered, as greg.g said.

There are 4 varying severitys of this with A being the worst. Cat D is panel damage/stolen recovered and can be repaired and put back on the road. Cat C is more severe but can still be repaired and put back on the road. Cat B is only to be sold to the trade, not too sure on how repairs stand on these although I know someone who does own a car that is cat B. Cat A is only to be sold to trade and is NOT to be put back on the road.

As the car has already been paid out once by the insurance, if the worst did happen and a claim is made then you will get nowhere near the book value. I think the most you will get is about 2/3 of what it would be worth if it wasn't on the insurance register.
Old 03 April 2004, 08:07 PM
russ.
Scooby Regular

Wink

THANKS for all your help lads will leave this one alone and carry on looking because after test driving this one i have got to have one
Old 03 April 2004, 08:39 PM
RRB
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by russ.
No found the car at www.lwbcarsales.co.uk the dealer said it was stolen when 3 months old
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...category=18277

This one ?
Old 03 April 2004, 10:50 PM
dij
Scooby Regular

If I remember correctly

A=to be crushed nothing else.
B=breaking only by a licensed breaker.
C=repairable but heavy damage.Must be Autoline inspected after repair.
D=repairable.Light-moderate damage.Inspection not necessary but advisable.

AFAIK cat c & d are the only ones that can be put on the road and they will both have this recorded on the log books as from sometime this year.

Worth buying a cat d if you are completely satisfied by a professional inspection,you plan to keep the car for a long time, and there is a fair amount being saved by getting a damage repaired.

IMO ofcourse.
Old 04 April 2004, 10:28 AM
russ.
Scooby Regular

RRB no that is not the car this one is a my00 and has full leather inside looks very simular though
I will go back have a good look at the hpi check and log book and car is checked by rac and has 3 months warrenty
Old 04 April 2004, 10:49 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

IIRC you car have the car taken off the register for a price if it is a cat D
I stand to be corrected on this however.
Old 04 April 2004, 01:04 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Have a look at this one in the FS section
Old 04 April 2004, 01:09 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

This thread is useful! I'm looking for a run-about at the mo, and seen a couple of cat d's nice n cheap.

One for 4k under list, with 2000!!!! miles on the clock..
Old 04 April 2004, 03:22 PM
RRB
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brun
IIRC you car have the car taken off the register for a price if it is a cat D
I stand to be corrected on this however.
You can pay to have a car taken of the registers, Im not sure what cat it would be though.
Old 04 April 2004, 03:25 PM
RRB
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by russ.
RRB no that is not the car this one is a my00 and has full leather inside looks very simular though
I will go back have a good look at the hpi check and log book and car is checked by rac and has 3 months warrenty

Personally if it is only a stolen/recovered and there has only been minor damage, this would not put me off buying it if the price was right. If fixed properly its only the resale value thats going to be worse. If you plan on keeping the car for a long time then go for it.
Old 04 April 2004, 03:31 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
dij is exactly right, above. The only thing to add is that Cat C & Cat D can also be sold off by the insurance company simply because the original owner refused to have the car back after it being stolen.

Cat C & D are a technical 'write off' rather than a write off because of severe body damage and various parts being used to make a car up again. Mostly they [ C & D ] have light inconsequential damage or even sometimes none.

David API
Old 04 April 2004, 05:52 PM
dij
Scooby Regular

Thanks David.

I think that a write off cant be taken off the register,at least not in a legal way.
The only thing that you can do is to get it inspected,after which it will apear as 'Condition inspected' on the hpi report (providing it passed).

As David has said,alot of the cars are not necessarily heavily damaged.
Its just a case of how much the car is worth,how much the repair will cost,and if the insurance or owner chooses to go ahead with repairing.

Still,you have to be cautious,some cars are thrown together and will always give problems due to the way they were repaired.
Old 05 April 2004, 02:10 PM
MatteeGee
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Dij is spot on. My scoob is classed as 'condition inspected'. This came up on the HPi report that I got when I was considering buying it, although the seller was honest about it anyway.

As well as the FSH, I got a document that shows the Thatcham approved inspection that was carried after repair.

Because this happened 2 years previous, I could be fairly sure that any problems arising from the repair would of been highlight and sorted.

Basically, I got a damn fine motor for 3-4K less than book price.

I would seriously consider buying my future cars within this category cos if the repairs have been done right, you're on a winner!
Old 05 April 2004, 09:02 PM
russ.
Scooby Regular

Talking

Got to say all the help and advice on this have been realy helpfull and have eased my mind, thanks for all the help.
hopfully if the car is still there then i will be buying it as i now know why all scooby owners have big smiles all the time
If anyone else is thinking of buying a cat d i can tell you it does not affect your insurance only one company refused me so they did not "quote me happy"
Anyway thanks again and i wont be shy about posting any more
Old 05 April 2004, 09:16 PM
greg.g
Scooby Regular

Location: Faster than a quickshift.... get yourself a bionic arm ;)

Now you have experienced the smile's, you will soon be able to experience the petrol stations

Good luck with the hunting.