Sponsored by:

22B or STi PPP

Search this Thread

Old 03 April 2004, 02:10 PM
scoobyp1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 22B or STi PPP

Im at a cross roads. I dont know what to go for next.
I am currently driving a P1 and am looking to change it. I just dont know what to go for next. Do i buy the new STi with PPP or do i stay with the classics and get the 22B ?
what you reckon folks ?
Old 03 April 2004, 02:17 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

22B (says a completely biased 'classic' owner)
Old 03 April 2004, 03:27 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

22B of course!!!
Old 03 April 2004, 03:35 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It depends what your after really, id personally look at a JDM car (new shape) over the 22b and the STi PPP, but if you want rock solid residules then the 22B is the way to go as they hold their value very well, but for fun, look somewhere else.

Tony
Old 03 April 2004, 03:36 PM
terryb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyp1
Im at a cross roads. I dont know what to go for next.
I am currently driving a P1 and am looking to change it. I just dont know what to go for next. Do i buy the new STi with PPP or do i stay with the classics and get the 22B ?
what you reckon folks ?
ScoobyP1

I'm a P1 owner too. Not that I'm thinking of changing and I haven't driven a 22B but ask yourself these 2 questions.

How many STI PPPs do you see on a regular basis?

How many 22Bs do you see on a regular basis?

I know as a P1 owner that I like the exclusivity - very rarely see another on the road. But I tend to see loads on STI 7 or 8s.

I know which way I think I'd go - but then I'd have to drive them both first too.

Have fun choosing..
Old 03 April 2004, 03:46 PM
neil@wrx
Scooby Regular

i have a P1 and i would only go for a 22b now
Old 03 April 2004, 04:01 PM
sti8sam1
Scooby Regular

Default which is best ?

Hello, I currently have a sti8 jap spec . I went for the jap spec ( the fastest/quickest jap model available) as i drove a UKPPP and it was like driving a UK wrx, Have you seen jeremy clarksons shootout video UKPPP V MITSI EVO8, The evo kills it, Personally i would love a 22B as i have had a few type r's and they are lovely cars. It all depends on what you prefer, i'd have a 22b tomorrow if i could find a reasonable priced one with a good history, as for performance the 22b will probably beat the 8's off the mark, but get my car in 2/3 gear and it would be a different kettle of fish, no red line till 8000 rpm, I must recommend you test drive the jap spec model before picking as i still shake when i get out of her, just make sure its the best model as i've no idea what the lesser spec models are like. If your anywhere near me your welcome to have a look at mine. Good luck with your purchase. sam
Old 03 April 2004, 05:56 PM
scoobyp1
Scooby Regular

the 22B is looking favourite
Old 03 April 2004, 06:26 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Litchfields have a corker of a 22B for 29.995!!!
Old 03 April 2004, 06:28 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I'd consider the JDM STi, and if funds will go that far, the Type 25.
Old 03 April 2004, 06:56 PM
scoobyp1
Scooby Regular

i do like the new shape but as so many people have said and pointed out, how many 22B's do you see on the road compared to the new shape sti's. There is no mistaking a 22B.
The speed of the car isnt the biggest factor in making me decide what to buy. Obviously i want something that can go but its not my main concern.
It has to look the part also................ and i love the sound of the classic.
Old 03 April 2004, 07:02 PM
andypugh2000
Scooby Regular

attended a rolling road day today and the STI PPP was only pushing a few more ponies than my 98 UK wagon, (5 bhp) my choice would be a 22B without a doubt but the P1 is still a great bit of kit and i would think hard about parting with it
Old 03 April 2004, 07:53 PM
gridgway
Scooby Regular

Default 3 yr old P1

My P1 is now 3 years old and I am hankering after a new car. So I have the same kind of dilemma. The current ppp is pathetic compared with the P1. You could make a cup of tea waiting for the turbo to spool up!

So for me the choices are:

Keep the P1 as is (standard).

Breath on the P1 to get sharper throttle, steering and brakes.

Change car to a...

Spec C
Type 25
WR1
22B

All are around the same cost (although type 25 is way up there). I have driven Iain Litchfield's Spec C and it's fantastic. WR1 is the easiest from a logistics pov. Dunno if the 22b would be much different from the P1.

Graham
Old 03 April 2004, 10:34 PM
dij
Scooby Regular

Agree with gridgway

been in a modded 22b,excellent,but IMO it wasnt different enough from a sti type r.Ok its rare and there is differences but it wasnt worth twice as much as a standard type r/ra or cheap p1.

I would go with the best newage car available.
At least all the wear and tear parts will be more fresh,and it wouldnt have suffered from as much deteioration from the elements.

Plus it is newer/better technology with updated interior and styling.
its only a matter of time untill the blob eye will be the norm and the classics will be the 'old' style.

If I had the money thats what I would do,or mod the **** out of the P1 to make it better.One of the things would be to change the box to a 6 speed.....oops may aswell get a car with that already done.
Old 03 April 2004, 10:37 PM
Brian the Sn@il
Scooby Senior

2 door 4 door issue to think of as well folks
Old 03 April 2004, 10:38 PM
codemunky
Scooby Regular

If you can't find a 22b, keep it. I also suggest reading the current issue of Evo Magazine...it will make you keep your P1.
Old 03 April 2004, 11:03 PM
terryb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by codemunky
If you can't find a 22b, keep it. I also suggest reading the current issue of Evo Magazine...it will make you keep your P1.
well said mate - that's another option for you - get yourself some 18's and bigger brakes if you haven't got them already. Then speak to someone like TSL Motorsport to learn how to get a good 340bhp out of it and be prepared to shell out some money.

Will put a bigger smile on your face than any UK new age will.
Old 04 April 2004, 12:39 AM
Eder22b
Scooby Regular

22b
Old 04 April 2004, 10:07 AM
Phil WRX 01
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

22B .
Old 04 April 2004, 10:15 AM
PeteT
Scooby Regular

Get the 22B and keep it ....forever
Old 04 April 2004, 03:16 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Id only swap for a 22b as well. There simply isnt anything in the subaru range id swap my P1 for. Im a classic shape fan, and not really like any new shape impreza, and im not alone

The only thing that would put me off a 22b is that i need a car everyday for work and if something major went wrong with the 22b parts or panel wise, i dont want to be in a crap courtesy car for weeks/months on end . Also i have the option of extending 2 years with subaru warranty as the p1 is nearly 3 years old now

So, i have kept mine and just added a nur spec R Blitz and some 6 pot brakes
Old 04 April 2004, 04:08 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

I agree with the above, though I am seriously tempted by the type 25. But this would only be in addition to my 22b.

I have no intention of selling the 22b ever. I am looking to have the equivalent of type 25 mods in terms of the powerstation suspension set upo. Iain litchfield assures me the suspension development done on the classic, is every bit as confidence inspiring in terms of what they have achieved, as it is on the type 25. I am very excited to see how it is afterwards.

The seem welded 2 door shell is already about the most rigid available from a classic road car, and I have done what I can to strengthen it further with everything I can short of a full cage which would be sacrilege.

Its on ap 6 pots, has every conceivable improvement I could find, the best ecu for the money and should soon have the strongest (please god) 600bhp and (nealrly) 600lbft engine I could have build.

There is no impreza short of a full P2000 wrc which would tempt me to chop it in for.

Having said that, unless you want to keep it forever because you love the car, I would find it difficult to justify well over doubel the money compared with an sti 5 or 6 type r. Though it dores feel completely different on the road.

And on the rarity front, I have seen a few 22Bs on the road because I notice them, yet never have I been driving mine at the time. In three (nearly four) years of ownership I have never crossed another on the road.

It is a second car for me, but it needn't be. I just chose for it to be that way when I blew up its engine and didnt choose to have it fixed with the same one. Had I just sorted it there and then it would be my only car and be used everyday.
Old 04 April 2004, 05:58 PM
wakeboardar
Scooby Regular

sti 8 move on cant live in past forever
Old 04 April 2004, 06:22 PM
Wuss
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I would keep the P1 and do the following:

1) 6-pots
2) set of 18's
3) geometry, etc.
4) full decat and a remap by somebody who knows what they're doing...!

It will cost you a good few thousand, but that will be nothing compared to the depreciation on a new car and you will end up with a storming vehicle.

You will still have a unique car and if the recent press is anything to go by, you're unlikely to lose a lot of money on her in the next few years...!

I would love to buy a P1 myself, if it wasn't for that daft front splitter and the lack of four doors (live in speed-bump heaven (London) and have a baby on the way !)

Mark.

Last edited by Wuss; 04 April 2004 at 06:26 PM.
Old 05 April 2004, 08:09 AM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

I've had a 22B for 4 years now, during that time I've also owned a MY01WRX and a MY03 STIPPP (uk car) and sold both. I only bought the MY03 STI because I was hoping it would be good enough to make me want to sell the 22B which is getting older....well it wasn't so I sold it and kept the 22B.
The JDM cars should be a good step forward from the UK spec STI though...you should try one.
I've PM'd you on why you shouldn't buy a 22B, but it's all lie's...buy it and drive it and enjoy it
Chuck
Old 05 April 2004, 09:54 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

chuck, good advice, now that you have bought another car in an attempt to rid you of your parasitic 22B, what are your views on holding on to it?
Old 05 April 2004, 10:20 AM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

Well the yellow car is fantastic 'in the twisties' and the steering feel and competance it displays on B roads does shade the 22B somewhat. However the 22 still feels like more of an event more of the time, oweing to a greater feel of involvement and stonking brakes...the Alcons do give much better feel and confidence than the Porkers..amazing as that sounds. Also the low gearing of the 22 and it's torque really are thrilling still...the porker is 320bhp but doesn't feel as accelerative as the 22 anywhere under 100mph. Would like to add some weight to the 22's steering and get a bit better turn in....may try some agressive geometry when the tyres need changing (very soon)
I'm keeping both for the moment..still more likely to sell the 911 before I sell the 22B though...overall 22's more fun more of the time..hopefully track the C4S this summer after sprog 3 drops...Nicki wants to find the limits as she much prefers the 22 at the moment..but she's not pushed the porker really.
Cman
Old 05 April 2004, 04:51 PM
scoobyp1
Scooby Regular

what to do.................

I guess i need to go and drive both cars. I have driven an STi8 without the PPP and i was not impressed at all. Was nowhere near as nice as the P1.
I have driven a 22B, lucky not to have bought that one aswell as i believe it spent a good part of its life in Scoobyclinic not long after i looked at it.
Even though the 22B felt a bit dogged and the clutch was shot. stil felt a much nicer car and when you look out the side mirrors and you see those rear arches, you just know your in something special.........
I know which car im leaning towards
Old 06 April 2004, 02:31 AM
HYP1C
Scooby Regular

This help ?

Old 07 April 2004, 04:20 PM
scoobyp1
Scooby Regular

Sweet as !!!

Quick Reply: 22B or STi PPP