Sponsored by:

window tint laws

Search this Thread

Old 20 March 2004, 09:47 PM
Graybr
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question window tint laws

Has anyone got an update on the window tinting laws currently be revised - heard a few stories two of which:-

1. Once passed all cars with front side windows tinted will have to have them removed regardless of when they were fitted.

2. that only cars tinted post late Dec 03/Jan 04 will need to be removed.

Will the more sensible light tints on the fronts be , how can i say it overlooked by the police and only the max power boys with full on limo tints get hit or what??? any ideas, opinions???
Old 20 March 2004, 09:50 PM
bluenose172
Scooby Regular

All tints on the front windows will have to be romved regardless of when they were installed. I drove past the traffic cops in my CTR with tints on a number of occasions, they never did anything. I think it depends on what your local TC's are like! At the end of the day your sunglasses let less light though than light smokes, so whats next, no sunglasses when driving???
Old 20 March 2004, 09:58 PM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

Tinted Windows - What the law now says
Old 20 March 2004, 10:00 PM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

As I understand it will be based on the amount of light that passes throught the glass using equipment that can accurately measure the transparency of the tint. It is either 70 or 75 % light passthrough. In other words if you have heavy tints they will have to be removed. You could look at it another way...if your tints are below the threshold you will technically be invalidating your insurance.
Old 21 March 2004, 12:03 AM
Rally
Scooby Regular

Location: Nottingham during week, Leeds at Weekends and 5ive-o.org at night

My local tinting firm wont do over 50% tint film on front windows now as does not want be become an accessory to the offence.
How do you find out what % your scoob standard glass is before adding more tint, does the JDM brown tint let 95% in as standard?
Old 21 March 2004, 12:49 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Seen it loads of times where people get stopped with >35% tint and have to rip the tints off the windows.

If you are going to get it done I would go for a very light tint of around 20% so you are 100% safe.
Old 21 March 2004, 03:05 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Just remember your standard windows have a tint which the extra tint film goes on top of. I've just had my tints removed due to the insurance co. voiding the policy whilst thet were on.

Steve

Trending Topics

Old 21 March 2004, 03:45 PM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

Its been said before, in that your car is illegal with a full de-cat if its over a certain year old.

How many on here have no cats on there cars and the insurance know about the exhaust upgrade,but if they are going to be so picky then your insurance is void for the de-cat due to it possibly failling and emmisions test.

What they say and do are tottaly different (The police) if your car has LIMO tint on the fronts then yes i can see there being an issue (or not possibly,Joke) but if you are running 35% on the fronts then i cant see them making you take them off and i for one wont be rushing out to remove my fronts tints just because i may get pulled.

Washer fluid is a requirement by law,so your telling me if i run out and then have an accident i have no insurance as my car isnt road legal.

Stop panicking.
Old 21 March 2004, 04:43 PM
Danny B
Scooby Regular

http://www.pentagonglasstech.com/news_legal_update.asp
Old 21 March 2004, 05:08 PM
Dazza's-STi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ZIPPY
Its been said before, in that your car is illegal with a full de-cat if its over a certain year old.

How many on here have no cats on there cars and the insurance know about the exhaust upgrade,but if they are going to be so picky then your insurance is void for the de-cat due to it possibly failling and emmisions test.

What they say and do are tottaly different (The police) if your car has LIMO tint on the fronts then yes i can see there being an issue (or not possibly,Joke) but if you are running 35% on the fronts then i cant see them making you take them off and i for one wont be rushing out to remove my fronts tints just because i may get pulled.

Washer fluid is a requirement by law,so your telling me if i run out and then have an accident i have no insurance as my car isnt road legal.

Stop panicking.
Its a little more serious than have a De-cat...

The reason the law was changed was simple down to muppets putting very dark tints on the front windows... one muppet in question in a X5 KILLING a motor cyclist

And the comment made about

wearing sunglasses.... err @ Night?????????

Only last month i nearly killed a youg lass on a scooter... I was at a junction to pull left, looked right saw a car had time, moved a foot and just caught a glint of light from the scooter... she had forget to put her light on... silly yes at 40mph that she was doing she would have lucky to live, I know I hit a car on a bike @ 25 it wasn't good!
If id have had tints, then its more than possible she could have been killed.

not good

Dazza
Old 21 March 2004, 05:13 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Plus they're a bit more obvious than a decat (when the engine is switched off ) plus the insurance co. could argue that they contributed towards your accident. My co. won't even let me work on the car's brakes incase I **** them up!

Steve
Old 21 March 2004, 05:58 PM
sulli
Scooby Regular

Seems a bit of a grey area this.
My missus's car has tints which were fitted a couple of years ago. They are apparently <30% tint on the driver and passenger fronts, so I assume there is at least 70% light going through them. According to the link above that is OK. However, I also assume that if stopped by traffic cops, they have to use a light-meter to prove how dark they are to be able to enforce removal??
I was told though by a copper who I work with (who used to be in traffic and has chatted to traffic about the new regs) that anything non-standard fitted to the front will be deemed by traffic as illegal, and they will order removal (either immediately or within 10 days with a rectification notice). He said they are not the biggest concernm though, as he reckons our insurance is invalid with any non-standard tints in front of the B-pillar!
Don't want to remove them as they look good, and the car would look odd with dark tints at rear and none at front. But I must admit that at night vision is reduced, and that means you have to be more careful.

Edit (they are tinted with safety film, as the previous owner had car broken into twice for stereo, so it was a valid reason for fitting, and the car is now more secure- police should encourage this, as they do f-all against car crime)
Old 21 March 2004, 06:08 PM
bluenose172
Scooby Regular

There are the cynics amongst us that say one accident does not a new piece of legislation make!(I've gone all yoda!!)

We would also point out that it may be due to hampering the indentification of the driver when persuing speeding convictions!

I dunno..........