ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Which Warranty company then?

Search this Thread

Old 21 June 2000, 12:36 AM
Richard F
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bit negative I'm afraid.

Personally I wouldn't bother with any of them. When I bought my STi, I asked how much the car would cost without the 3 year warranty but with 1 year's cover and it was 500 quid cheaper. I've had it 1 year 3 months and have had one problem which would have been covered by the warranty which cost 120 quid to fix so I'm currently 380 quid better off. As it happens, the warranty company (WH) wriggled out of it on a REAL technicality.

I think as time goes on, it's more and more likely that a claim would be turned down because of wear and tear so warranties lose their value over the warranty period. I wouldn't waste my time or money.

Sorry...
Old 21 June 2000, 12:44 AM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

It seems that only the Subaru warranty is worht the paper its printed lately, i have heard numerous horror stories about 3rd party warranty companies, using all sorts of mumbo jumbo, and saying its wear and tear mate, to get out of paying on any claims, especially engine related problems !!!!
Old 21 June 2000, 11:24 AM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Question

Having just read Craig's thread with regards to his warranty company (WH) trying to get out of paying for his big end (oh), which warranty firms are worth using?

I got a 3 month warranty (Olympic) with the car (MY93 WRX) and it's now up for renewal (about £125 for 12 months) I've had a few jobs done on the car but all were wear and tear (oil leak, radiator hose...). Do i go with them or another company? Anybody got some good stories to tell about certain companies?

Any comments, good or bad, are greatly received, HELP!

Tone.
Old 22 June 2000, 01:45 PM
Tony Quinn
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Tone,

I'm another non-believer. I've got a mate with a garage and because of the experiences he has had with warranty companies, he now just laughs if anyone comes in with a job and asks whether their "mechanical breakdown insurance" will cover it. Hold onto your cash, stick it in the bank and keep it in case the worst does happen. It probably won't.