SCOOBY ECU ? WHATS HAPPENING !!!

Search this Thread

Old 19 March 2004, 06:13 PM
pjb147
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry SCOOBY ECU ? WHATS HAPPENING !!!

Hi,

Can anyone give an update on the scoobyEcu upgrade ?
I have read so many post about these ecu's and i cant understand why these are so hard to get hold of !!!

Supply and demand !! its getting silly now and if all us pre MY96 owners arnt carefull the price of them are going to get ridiculous....

Can anyone tell me who makes these ecu's because there is a money making oppurtunity here and believe me i know there are enough customers out there who want these ecu's.

I think because there are so few suppliers of the ecu (ie i think only 2 here) it backs us all into a corner and we have no choice but to wait.. also if your not in with the right people on here your not going to get one either !

So come on you 2 play the game and get your act sorted or people are going to get fed up with waiting and give up and you could be left with a load of ecu you cant get rid of !! or maybe you think not ?

Also the excuse about waiting for there suppliers is getting a bit boring now. In the world of business there is allways more than one place to buy things.

All this might mean that i do not get a scoobyEcu but hey i needed to get it off my chest because ive been waiting for months to get one of these.

Sorry for all this babble but getting p***ed off now.

Cheers

PJ
Old 19 March 2004, 06:50 PM
C
Scooby Regular

Both the people who do them have full time jobs as well.

They make sod all from them from what I gather.

One of the people (David Wallis) posted up here he gets nearly 100 e-mails a day from people with problems with thier cars & think he might be able to help, just because he is technically minded.

So chill out, they do them as & when they can
Old 19 March 2004, 09:47 PM
Wonder Wagon
Scooby Regular

because they are for pre 97 car's the chip's are very hard to get hold of
so I think you should give them a break
Old 19 March 2004, 10:31 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

The problem with scoobyECU is that it's not as plug and play as say an ECUTEK remap, first up, you have to get at the ECU to see if it has the adaptor socket on it, my WRX Wagon did not, so I had to have one put on it, this entailed me sending ECU off and getting this done, no ECU = no car to drive, thankfully I did not need the car. Even if you do have the socket then you need to open the ECU up and plug the daughter card into it, not the hardest thing to do, but some people may not be comfortable doing this.

Before you even put the new daughter card in you need the right map, for example, a 94 WRX Wagon map is different to a 94 WRX Saloon map, even if they have the same engine (think wagon has different compression ratio), get the wrong map and bad things *might* happen. Plus if your car is modified you may want/need a map to cope with the mods, and to be honest that is the main reason you'd want the scoobyecu as you'd want a remap to account for your mods.

So, someone has to create the map, burn it to EPROM and then send it off to you, or possibly fit it for you.

This takes time, and the chaps doing this don't have that much spare time, they have lives outside of scoobyecu and these lives have to and should come first.

It would be great if someone could step forward and have the time and money to be able to run this as a proper business (and I am NOT slagging off the people who do it now) but I really don't think anyone could really do this full time, and even if they could, they would ideally need people all over the country willing to help out, with mapping, burning and installing, and more importantly refining the maps, and that is a lot of effort, especially for the price you pay for the scoobyecu.

On the subject of the chips, I'm not totally clued up on this but I think they are not the easiest of things to come by, it is quite possible there are a very limited number of suppliers out there, so if there are delays, well, there are delays and it's unavoidable.
Old 19 March 2004, 11:35 PM
pjb147
Scooby Newbie

Default RE: I KNOW !!

Hi,

I think you misunderstood me !! I wasnt having a go at the people who are doing the chip directly ! I was saying that if there were more people doing the scooby ecu then we would all benefit !! would'nt we.. ? I know they have lives outside of this and i am sure that these lads are very busy doing there own work without doing the ecu's. But sometimes people do get fed up with waiting and the next thing you know someone has come out with another ecu and the scooby ecu falls by the side. Which would be a shame as everyone on here knows that they are the best for the early impreza's.

Lucky i have sorted another upgrade now as i had been waiting for some months for one and it was becoming a pain.

Sorry if i have offended anyone with my comments but i like to say what i think.

Cheers

PJ