Sponsored by:

Info please !!

Search this Thread

Old 18 March 2004, 12:34 AM
pjb147
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Info please !!

i have a 1995 uk allmost standard turbo ... sports back box, de-cat center and downpipe, k&n 57i kit.....oh and (max power car mats) ....lol

Car u tell me what a knocklink is ? and lambarda sensor is ? and do i need them for my car ?

one more thing what benefit does doing a ecu reset do ?

Cheers lads

PJ
Old 18 March 2004, 09:42 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

PJ

Knocklink

Most modern engines will already have a knock sensor fitted as standard, but any type of knock sensor may be fitted as required. The sensor is normally screwed into a boss on the engine block although some manufacturers fit the sensor in the inlet manifold (especially Ford). In either case, the sensor must be in such a position that block vibrations are coupled to the sensor.

Assuming the engine is operating correctly, the LEDs will show only background noise which will rise in proportion to engine power output. Any abrupt rise in signal level at any time is an indication that detonation is occurring. The immediate remedy is to close the throttle. Severe detonation will destroy any engine in seconds.

Knocking is the self detonation of the unburnt fuel in the combustion chamber toward the end of combustion. The flame burns abound ten times faster than normal causing huge pressures. Possible cures for knocking are: cooler intake air; increased intake humidity; reduce load; increase RPM; enrichen or lean engine from lambda stoichiometric; improve spark; increase octane level of fuel; reduce total ignition advance etc.

• Monitor engine “Noise”.
• Optimise advance.
• Detect Detonation.

Common cause of det is a failed MAF sensor

LamdaLink

Oxygen sensors (Lambda Probes) are self generating sensors that produce a small output voltage according to the oxygen content of the exhaust gas.

Higher amounts of exhaust oxygen indicate a lean mixture, and produce a small output voltage. Rich mixtures produce very little oxygen and the output voltage is higher. This voltage range is amplified and scaled by the display unit to drive an LED bar-graph calibrated to both air/fuel ratio and carbon monoxide (CO).

Do you need them?

Well, they are safety devices that warn you of problems with your car. I had an MY99 PPP which had a failed MAF which caused det & mullahed the engine. I did not have a KnockLink fitted. Saying that MY99/00 seem prone to weak short-lived MAF sensors.

If you replace your MAF and LAMBDA sensor on an annual basis, with your current mods, you probably shouldn't need them. If you get a de-cat downpipe, then I would strongly recommend that you install them. But better safe than sorry.

Re-setting the ECU puts all the values back to factory standard and allows the ECU to re-learn all the differing inputs peculiar to your car. I dunno if it is of use to you, but possibly a good idea if you make some major changes, or fit new sensors as it allows the ECU to start from a fresh sheet, not re-adjust for the new values.
Old 18 March 2004, 09:50 AM
pjb147
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thx

Thx m8 for the info. i am planing to get the downpipe next week. i think i had better get them sorted..

Cheers

PJ