Sponsored by:

HELP!!! Red on KL

Search this Thread

Old 15 March 2004, 03:30 PM
coulty
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down HELP!!! Red on KL

I have just fitted my knocklink and after going for a drive i find the red illuminates only when i back off the throttle to change gear or to slow. Also when selecting the next gear (downchanging) it lights up then goes away.
Is this det???

Please help!
Stuart
Old 15 March 2004, 03:31 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What model scoob, what mods, what fuel and where in the rev range are you getting knock?

Tony
Old 15 March 2004, 03:32 PM
coulty
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
What model scoob, what mods, what fuel and where in the rev range are you getting knock?

Tony
MY96 sti v2, no mods apart from green panel filter and centre decat, optimax + millers and at about 7k revs! (give or take a thousand below since i have to watch the road!)

Last edited by coulty; 15 March 2004 at 03:39 PM.
Old 15 March 2004, 03:44 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The v2 has a 7.5k redline doesnt it?
Well put it this way, my MY03 JDM STi runs extremely well with optimax and millers and the only lights i get near the redline are green, the engine is quieter than the classics though, if it goes from the green to amber to red slowly then id say it could be engine noise, but even then id be suspicious as my old car did this once and it was a bad tank of optimax (uk turbo with a few mods).
The centre decat aint a problem as the v2 only has the one cat in the d/p so your only real mod is the green filter which also shouldnt give you any problems.. it could be a bad tank of fuel so id run her safe and keep her under 3k for a while, you could see if anyone has any det cans to see what your engine is doing.
Do you get any signs of the red or amber lights in the midrange (in gear, ie 5th at 70-90mph?)

Tony
Old 15 March 2004, 03:49 PM
coulty
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
The v2 has a 7.5k redline doesnt it?
Well put it this way, my MY03 JDM STi runs extremely well with optimax and millers and the only lights i get near the redline are green, the engine is quieter than the classics though, if it goes from the green to amber to red slowly then id say it could be engine noise, but even then id be suspicious as my old car did this once and it was a bad tank of optimax (uk turbo with a few mods).
The centre decat aint a problem as the v2 only has the one cat in the d/p so your only real mod is the green filter which also shouldnt give you any problems.. it could be a bad tank of fuel so id run her safe and keep her under 3k for a while, you could see if anyone has any det cans to see what your engine is doing.
Do you get any signs of the red or amber lights in the midrange (in gear, ie 5th at 70-90mph?)

Tony
Nope none at all in 5th at 70-90. I have had her sitting about for the last 2 weeks though and the tank is less than quarter full so perhaps it is that. I have a ecu upgrade chip from Alex Hill that takes the boost up 2psi and makes it run without millers so perhaps that will help. Decat downpipe coming in the next month too but only after i fit the lambdalink (half way there fitting it!)
Stuart

Last edited by coulty; 15 March 2004 at 04:00 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 15 March 2004, 09:03 PM
coulty
Scooby Regular

Question

do you think it is det then?
Old 15 March 2004, 09:33 PM
JohnnyR6
Scooby Regular

It could be m8, how hard did you have to hit the block when testing the k.link? I had detting with my v2 due to knackered maf. I had no symptoms, car ran fine but as i had just bought it i put it on the rollers to check it and it was detting badly, new maf and perfect. Moral to the story is get it checked m8, ava charge about £70 for a session on the rollers, imho worth it for peace of mind.
Old 15 March 2004, 10:09 PM
coulty
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JohnnyR6
It could be m8, how hard did you have to hit the block when testing the k.link? I had detting with my v2 due to knackered maf. I had no symptoms, car ran fine but as i had just bought it i put it on the rollers to check it and it was detting badly, new maf and perfect. Moral to the story is get it checked m8, ava charge about £70 for a session on the rollers, imho worth it for peace of mind.
I hit the block really hard and only managed to light the bottom green. If it is the maf where can i get one cheaply? Would the Lambdalink point to the maf too?
Old 16 March 2004, 12:41 PM
RICH WILD
Scooby Regular

Wherabouts is the sensor mounted?

It sound to me more like that it is picking up noise from your gearbox/transmission as your description seems to say it only happens on or around gearchanges.

I would suspect it has something to do with that. Check your gearbox oil level for one.

I have experienced similar knocklink activity when I've had boxes on their way out.

From the symptoms you describe, I'd be very surprised if it was det although at the redline in higher gears it could well be leaning out a bit. You need maybe to get the fuelling checked.

I'd be surprised on a 96 car if you were having MAF problems as they are rather uncommon.
Old 16 March 2004, 12:49 PM
coulty
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RICH WILD
Wherabouts is the sensor mounted?

It sound to me more like that it is picking up noise from your gearbox/transmission as your description seems to say it only happens on or around gearchanges.

I would suspect it has something to do with that. Check your gearbox oil level for one.

I have experienced similar knocklink activity when I've had boxes on their way out.

From the symptoms you describe, I'd be very surprised if it was det although at the redline in higher gears it could well be leaning out a bit. You need maybe to get the fuelling checked.

I'd be surprised on a 96 car if you were having MAF problems as they are rather uncommon.
The sensor is mounted on the M8 thread below the intercooler where everyone else mounts it.
My gearbox was just rebuilt less than 500 miles ago and i checked the oil just before i went out with it.
When i install my lambdalink that should tell me about my fuelling correct?

Should i have someone who knows the signs to have a look perhaps.

Stuart