Sponsored by:

neeed to make an exhaust decision please help

Search this Thread

Old 11 March 2004, 11:40 AM
pbee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default neeed to make an exhaust decision please help

good that sounds desperate, mods please leave here for a few hours, I need some community therapy on making this decision.

Ok im having the car remapped at BRD in june, so I need to make a decision and get the exhaust fitted to my 03 wrx.

Ive decided on a full decat but noise is a problem. Get on well with the neighbours and I would like it to stay that way.

Hayward and Scott have offered to do a custom made centre section with a silencer section in it. Which sounds promising.

quote is downpipe, cat pipe, center with resonator and standard rear box fitted for £770 which seems like a good deal.

My question is how loud is the standard rear box from H&S ?, the 4" version is quoted at 99db, and how much difference will the silencer in the centre make ??. Will it affect the performance of the exhaust and will it create other noises in the cabin ??.

The alternative was to go for the scoobyworld h&s exhaust but with the ninja backbox which i prefer the look of but im concerned about the noise level, has anyone been able to compare the ninja to the H & S standard exhaust or the old scoobysport exhaust that h&s made.

need to make a decision and get this sorted as i keep flip flopping. I know noise is individually subjective. My perecoption of loud is the tsl firestorm fitted to a decat car, and the tsl group n was also a little loud for my liking.

The magnex 6x4 fitted to a decat car is getting there but still a little loud but that was in a classic wagon.
Old 11 March 2004, 11:43 AM
rb5 286
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pbee
good that sounds desperate, mods please leave here for a few hours, I need some community therapy on making this decision.

Ok im having the car remapped at BRD in june, so I need to make a decision and get the exhaust fitted to my 03 wrx.

Ive decided on a full decat but noise is a problem. Get on well with the neighbours and I would like it to stay that way.

Hayward and Scott have offered to do a custom made centre section with a silencer section in it. Which sounds promising.

quote is downpipe, cat pipe, center with resonator and standard rear box fitted for £770 which seems like a good deal.

My question is how loud is the standard rear box from H&S ?, the 4" version is quoted at 99db, and how much difference will the silencer in the centre make ??. Will it affect the performance of the exhaust and will it create other noises in the cabin ??.

The alternative was to go for the scoobyworld h&s exhaust but with the ninja backbox which i prefer the look of but im concerned about the noise level, has anyone been able to compare the ninja to the H & S standard exhaust or the old scoobysport exhaust that h&s made.

need to make a decision and get this sorted as i keep flip flopping. I know noise is individually subjective. My perecoption of loud is the tsl firestorm fitted to a decat car, and the tsl group n was also a little loud for my liking.

The magnex 6x4 fitted to a decat car is getting there but still a little loud but that was in a classic wagon.
super dragger system, i have one, compared to afterburner, blitz and some other its a lot quieter whilst conservatively driving, however on the motorways and nailing it u get a nice loud rumble

never had any of the neighbours complain
Old 11 March 2004, 11:58 AM
SlowBoy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reckon you'll be OK with the H&S set up as you decribed above. Their full system on a classic (not too familiar with new age) is obviously louder/deeper than the standard, but still quieter than most other aftermarket systems. Add to this the custom centre section with silencer you mentioned and you should be fine.

You could always ask Ian at H&S if there would be any further options if, after fitting, you did find it too noisy.
Old 11 March 2004, 12:06 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I have got the Power Engineering turbo back system. It does have one free flow cat in the centre section which hardly affects the power, it is flowed for up to 400 BHP they say. My car is a MY94 STI and the difference to my car's perfomance was quite considerable. The noise question was no problem with the PE back box. It has a lovely rumble but is not too loud at all. The locals around here tell me that they like listening to it! I had to fit a Dawes device to reduce the increased boost to just below fuel cut at 16.2 psi, it was easier than fitting a fuel cut defender.

Never have any problem at MOT time with emissions.

Les

Last edited by Leslie; 11 March 2004 at 12:07 PM.
Old 11 March 2004, 12:07 PM
pbee
Scooby Regular

my main concern is adding the silencer and moving the noise from the rear of the car, and maybe causing a resonating sound under the passenger compartment.

anybody had resonator silencer sections on other exhausts I know a few are available for the classic.

Also does a sport cat also act like a resonator ??. does it reduce noise as well as emmisions ??.

cheers

pbee
Old 11 March 2004, 12:09 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Another tip is to put a layer of thick carpet felt under the rear seat squab. That does reduce the noise. I think the cat probably does act as a resonator, it is about the same size.

Les

Last edited by Leslie; 11 March 2004 at 12:10 PM.
Old 11 March 2004, 12:47 PM
pappasmurf
Scooby Regular

I think the H&S system will be the one for you. Shouldn't be that loud but have a nice burble. H&S can make it to your requirements including the tailpipe if you like it big.
My Ninja wasn't loud on my classic. When i decatted the d/p the engine growled alot more but it was never loud and when i decatted the centre it got deeper in tone. However, others have said the ninja is loud...maybe i'm going deaf?
My Ninja never "boomed" inside the cabin on journeys.

Trending Topics

Old 11 March 2004, 04:57 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

£770??????
Magnex dp - £170 ish
Magnex centre - £65 ish
Backbox of your choice - £200+

We are talking about a metal pipe, so there ain't much difference between a £450 system and an £800 system
Old 11 March 2004, 09:33 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

You might want to talk to Janspeed and see what they have .
Old 11 March 2004, 09:42 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

The new Scoobysport system should fit the bill. I have just fitted one to the wagon (MY03).

Not as noisy as the first generation (H&S) scoobysport system
Old 11 March 2004, 10:23 PM
SlowBoy
Scooby Regular

Also worth mentioning, excellent service from H&S.
Old 12 March 2004, 08:13 AM
pbee
Scooby Regular

thoose magnex prices re for the classic, the new age exhausts are more exspensive

circa £200 for the downpipe. and also have a extra centre pipe or cat pipe i think it is known as.

the cheapest system I have found is circa £600 and I have to get it fitted im guessing £100 for that as the downpipe is tricky so im led to believe. so thats only a £70 saving not much really.

I'm think the H& S system is the one. as The magnex downpipe are manderel bent and im told they can be a real pig to fit ??. for very little saving i dont think its worth it.
Old 12 March 2004, 09:45 AM
RRH
Scooby Regular

I know where there's a used scoobysport system for a new age- think he wants £400ish. PM if of interest.