Brake upgrade questions

Search this Thread

Old 07 March 2004, 07:38 PM
Pockman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake upgrade questions

Hi,

Although it won't be for a while, I'm considering upgrading the brakes on my MY03 WRX PPP.

Subaru offer a Prodrive upgrade to 330mm disks, but there are also obviously a lot of 3rd party manufacturers as well (perhaps offering better value than the Prodrive kit?).

Bearing in mind I've 17" five spoke Prodrive alloys on. here's a few questions.

1. Whats Subaru's policy on fitting 3rd party brake kits to cars under warranty?? will they tell you bog off if you asked them to fit a 3rd party brake set, if I fitted them myself (or a 3rd party garage) will it invalidate any Subaru warranty?

2. Whats the insurance situation if you fit bigger (better?) brakes?

3. Is it wise to upgrade just the front brakes, whilst leaving the rears as std WRX units, or should you really upgrade all four corners?

Thanks,

Chris.
Old 07 March 2004, 07:57 PM
wakeboardar
Scooby Regular

sorry not techie enough to answer you ?

but just wandering if you have had any problems with the standard brakes which seemed very good on my old car?
Old 07 March 2004, 08:02 PM
T2000PPP
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Dont do it.Save your money.Stops okay now dont it?
Old 07 March 2004, 08:14 PM
Pockman
Scooby Regular

Hi,

Nope doesn't stop OK, IMHO.

If you go out on a nice dry day round the B-roads, where there's some lovely bends, it's easy to run out of braking ability on my car. I'd like the braking ability to match or exceed the acceleration ability.

It's Ok for normal driving, but if you stand on the brakes when you are caning it it doesn't feel as though it's braking VERY hard. I'm not talking about brake fade here, just general performance.

Before the PPP upgrade it was just acceptable, but not now.

Cheers,

Chris.
Old 07 March 2004, 09:18 PM
wakeboardar
Scooby Regular

have you tried changing the pads yet

ds2500 seem to highly recommended on this board

changing brand new 4 pots seems a little drastic
Old 07 March 2004, 09:42 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...

no, you are definitely right to change the brakes. The standard 4pots are not up to the job, if you use the car as it is meant.

I have just put my 2002 wrx back to standard, but unfortunately I have already sold the ProDrive brake upgrade. However, although they cost a lot of money, they are absolutely worth every penny. I have never ever once experienced brake fade, even on the hottest day of last year chasing an Exige around Donington. The hotter they got, the better they got.

The wear rate is also very good on the discs, you will probably go through at least two sets of pads before needing to think about new discs, which is good as the discs are quite expensive. I also never had a trace of warp, which is amazing given how many track days I have done.

You do not need to touch the rears at all, although it is worth changing the pads for ds2500 compound when they need changing. However given how new your car is, that won't be for at least 12-18 months.

If you want the absolute ultimate in stopping power, get AP 6-pots. However, bear in mind that if anything happens with your brakes, they will be fully warrantied, and there really isn't that much difference in performance from the AP 6pots.

Make sure they also fit braided steel hoses, and uprated dot4 or 4.1 fluid.

Bear in mind also that you can sell your standard brakes and discs for around £300-£350 if you wanted.
Old 07 March 2004, 11:22 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

I agree about the brakes, I have a my02 with STD 4 pots, went in a STI 7 the other week, and they break...ours don't

I am no super driver and even I find them use less, must admit they seemed fine as the car was std, but with the upgrades (260lbs,270 lbs at powerstation, springs, drop links, anti roll bar, anti lift kit) they are the week link and as soon as my credit card cools down abit i see ap 6 pots ( not that my driving ability is any where near that class, they just look really good )
Old 08 March 2004, 10:13 AM
DJ140
Scooby Regular

Chris, agree with you about the brakes, I'm thinking of going for some 330mm front disks with DS2500 pads.

Have you fitted the Prodrive spring kit yet? This improves front end stability, when braking from high speed, as well as an improvement in the overall handling of the car.

Dan
Old 08 March 2004, 11:22 AM
Pockman
Scooby Regular

I'd probably go for the Godspeed 335mm brake kit which uses the existing 4 pot WRX calipers. From what I've read it appears to sigificantly increase the stopping power. Undoubtably it's not as good as upgrading the calipers and disks but it's a far cheaper option and would probably give me the extra power i'm looking for.

I'd love to add Prodrive springs on, but it's a money £££ issue (where's my credit card...). BTW how much did you pay to get your car fitted with springs?

Ta,

Chris
Old 08 March 2004, 11:51 AM
DBY
Scooby Regular

Chris I have the same car as you WRX03 PPP and yes if you do use the car in anger every day then the standard brakes inspire little confidence. So I changed the front set up to Godspeed 335 brake kit with braided lines and Ferodo 2500 and dot 5.1 fluid, with this set up you will no longer suffer any brake fade and growling noises of protest!!!

As regards Warranty if you have a problem with a front wheel bearing or brake related problem then you are in the hand of your dealer, my dealer commented on the Godspeed kit and thought that they were a good idea and got rid of the "standard mushy feel"

The only down side is that this kit adds a bit of weight to the front which when combined with the standard springs on bumpy back roads at speed over 90mph can cause the front suspension to bottom out on it's bump stops. I have now fitted Prodrive Lowering springs and this has made a big difference to the above, you should also up grade the rear pads at the same time to balance things out. I am presently waiting for the rear kit to be delivered as the the fronts are so good that the rear discs look well spangly!! Behind 18 PFF7s so when fitted I will report back on these as well.

Regards

John
Old 08 March 2004, 08:50 PM
Pockman
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info mate about the extra weight and the suspension bottoming out with hard use, hadn't thought about that happening...

Sounds like it would have to be springs and brakes together... eeek... better earn some more money!

Cheers,

Chris.
Old 08 March 2004, 10:03 PM
DJ140
Scooby Regular

Hi Chris,

The springs fitted were around £375, this includes parts, fitting and geometry.

How much are the 335 disks and do they fit behind the standard 17" wheels?

Cheers,
Dan
Old 08 March 2004, 11:07 PM
Pockman
Scooby Regular

The Godspeed 335mm disk upgrade kit is £595 (ex fitting) for disks, spacers, bolts and pads. More details at www.godspeedbrakes.co.uk. I think there is a group buy on at the moment if you are looking at getting a set now.

The springs sound worth doing at that price.

Doing the disks at some point (read, when i have some dosh) will also give me an excuse to paint my corroded to sh%t calipers!
Old 08 March 2004, 11:08 PM
Pockman
Scooby Regular

Yes, I believe they will fit behind 17" wheels OK.

Originally Posted by Pockman
The Godspeed 335mm disk upgrade kit is £595 (ex fitting) for disks, spacers, bolts and pads. More details at www.godspeedbrakes.co.uk. I think there is a group buy on at the moment if you are looking at getting a set now.

The springs sound worth doing at that price.

Doing the disks at some point (read, when i have some dosh) will also give me an excuse to paint my corroded to sh%t calipers!