ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Advice on a cracked alloy

Search this Thread

Old 04 March 2004, 07:29 PM
L1J
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on a cracked alloy

Not going to name any suppliers or manufacturers at the moment.

I bought a set of alloys last may, over the past couple of weeks i noticed one wheel was leaking air. It was checked out in the local tyre place and they found a crack on the inside bead of the wheel starting to run into the rim (about 30mm long). On closer inspection I found another hairline crack about 8 inches away.

Ive phoned the suppliers and they have agreed to send me a complete set of new wheels after some discussion. One problem, there is a 4 week wait for an identical set of new wheels. Supplier has offered me alternative alloys but im not keen on the style.

This means running on a space saver for a month! Any side ill effects from doing this? Old alloys are bald and wont fit over the brakes!

Car is an MY98 UK and the wheels were FIA approved

Any advice?

MORAL: CHECK TYRE PRESSURES OFTEN
Old 04 March 2004, 07:40 PM
dij
Scooby Regular

Strange for new alloys to have a fracture in them.Perhaps theyve been dropped hard before the tyres where fitted (by King Kong).

Are you sure the space saver fits over the new brakes?(Im assuming you have bigger calippers) .You can only do a max of 50mph on the space saver.

Make sure that the rolling radius of the spare is not more than a few millimeters of the new wheels (should be if the tyre size is correct).

Be patient and get the replacement wheel,If its at all possible.
Old 04 March 2004, 07:57 PM
bits'n'pieces
Scooby Regular

My space saver was crap because the car was lowered and had a rather large exhaust system, it would only fit on the front of the car or the exhaust dragged ! Now I've got bigger brake disks, I carry a full size alloy spare and sod the Mrs and the shopping , shes got her own car