Sponsored by:

Bad luck D'oh!!

Search this Thread

Old 01 March 2004, 02:03 PM
flatfourburble
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Bad luck D'oh!!

Not looking for sypathy, because I don't deserve it really, but last night I was caught doing 106mph on the motorway by an unmarked police car D'oh.

The police were very nice about it and did say if I was going alittle slow they would have let me off with a warning.

What am I looking at loss of liecence etc? any help would be nice

Cheers

MKD
Old 01 March 2004, 02:08 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

You are more than likely gonna get a ban mate .... over 100 is the thresh hold i think ,.... or more than 30 over the legal speed limit. That will mean a court appearance. I should get a letter from ya boss and plead that its deperate you have a licence coz of your job. If you do that the ban will be light, maybe a week or two and a bigger fine, maybe £500.
Trouble is your insurance goes throught the roof i should imagine .... good luck mate
Old 01 March 2004, 02:18 PM
MadMark
Scooby Regular

Not good. Sorry to hear that .......

5 years ago I got done at 101mph. Was very lucky and got only a 2 week ban and a £250 fine - no points.
Knackered mine and the g/f's insurance for years - and it's difficult to hire cars ....

You need to start researching this so try http://www.speed-trap.co.uk/
You need to plead like buggery that you will lose your job if you get banned for a long period, but I would bank on 2-4 week ban, £500 fine (+ court costs) and 3-6 points.

Last edited by MadMark; 01 March 2004 at 02:19 PM.
Old 01 March 2004, 02:26 PM
flatfourburble
Scooby Regular

D'oh lets hope it is light it's my first and only motor offence of any sort!! Trouble is I do need my car, not for work but my other half lives in crewe, hence why I was done on the M6

Like I said the poilce were very nice about it and couldn't fault them, they are only doing there job.
Old 01 March 2004, 02:44 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A mate got caught doing that speed on the M40 a few years ago and worked for SAAB's HQ in Marlow as a technician, he got a letter from his bosses etc but still got banned for 6 months even though it was his first offence Needless to say he lost his job
Old 01 March 2004, 02:47 PM
flatfourburble
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulpalmer
A mate got caught doing that speed on the M40 a few years ago and worked for SAAB's HQ in Marlow as a technician, he got a letter from his bosses etc but still got banned for 6 months even though it was his first offence Needless to say he lost his job
kinda thought they would be hard on me and that I will probably loose my licence
Old 01 March 2004, 02:54 PM
MadMark
Scooby Regular

FFB - You will DEFINATELY loose your licence - only unknown is for how long! 101mph or over is an automatic ban. Mine was a first offence too!
The coppers were nice to me too - but they don't set the sentences .......

Last edited by MadMark; 01 March 2004 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Missed something!
Old 01 March 2004, 03:29 PM
flatfourburble
Scooby Regular

Mad Mark how long did you lose your licence for and for what speed? (if you dont mind me asking
Old 01 March 2004, 03:30 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by MadMark
5 years ago I got done at 101mph. Was very lucky and got only a 2 week ban and a £250 fine - no points.
Old 01 March 2004, 03:36 PM
flatfourburble
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulpalmer

lol sorry mind is elsewhere today!!!

Cheers for pointin that out paul, lack of attention on my behalf there
Old 01 March 2004, 03:46 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

No problem
Old 01 March 2004, 03:51 PM
WRX-Mark
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down @107 6 years ago

Likewise Police very nice, first time I'd been stopped etc.....magistrates not so nice 28 days and £250 + costs.
Insurance went through the roof, had to always hire vans etc in wifes name.

Get proper legal representation if you can afford it, I didn't and watched loads of people get off with shorter bans or even points from a similar offence just because their case was 'put foward better'!

Good luck

Last edited by WRX-Mark; 01 March 2004 at 03:52 PM.
Old 01 March 2004, 04:07 PM
flatfourburble
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WRX-Mark
Likewise Police very nice, first time I'd been stopped etc.....magistrates not so nice 28 days and £250 + costs.
Insurance went through the roof, had to always hire vans etc in wifes name.

Get proper legal representation if you can afford it, I didn't and watched loads of people get off with shorter bans or even points from a similar offence just because their case was 'put foward better'!

Good luck
well that's the point I cant really afford it but I guess I'll have to find the money some how. Might have to sell my car to raise the money for legal representation and the fines. Thanks though
Old 01 March 2004, 04:13 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts
Thumbs down

Hard luck mate. At least it was a good old-fashioned un-marked car and not a sneaky scamera!

Just to p1ss you off a bit more... I was cruising on the motorway last night at a steady 120mph ...Driving back from Munich on the Autobahn and totally legal

Last edited by BMWhere?; 01 March 2004 at 04:14 PM.
Old 01 March 2004, 04:18 PM
Re-Bitten Hero
Scooby Regular

Al, we were doing more than that on our tests on the country road yesterday afternoon

Richard
Old 01 March 2004, 04:20 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Alastair that is just cruel you shouldn't wind the poor Brits up by telling them how fast you can drive legally I mean I would never brag that I can take mine off the clock at over 250kmh and not worry about getting caught

You have to bare in mind they are only allowed to do 70 in their 300bhp cars

And as Richard says we were doing more than that when we were power testing my car on that small country road last weekend.

Last edited by Wurzel; 01 March 2004 at 04:22 PM.
Old 01 March 2004, 04:22 PM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

Between 100 and 109 mph the magistrate has guidelines which recommends a ban, but it is DISCRETIONARY, i.e. if you have a good solicitor and a damn good reason to avoid a ban then you *might* get away with a fine and 6 points on your license. You would need a damn good excuse though. Risk of losing a job is not enough. If you have to travel to look after a sick relative, take children to school or even to muck out your horses, then you have a better chance.

When I got done I sat through about 7 other cases before they got to mine. I was in good company that day, two others getting prosecuted were doctors, caught between 100 and 109 mph. Both argued they had to attend patients, one worked in casualty, the other was a young house doctor. First got off with 6 points and a fine. The second was charged with 2 counts of speeding, one at between 100 and 109mph and the other offence at just less than 100mph. As the guy already had 3 points on his license, his solicitor argued for points for the <100mph offence, and a short term ban for the >100mph offence. Reason for this was that losing your license under the totting up rule (>12 points) carries a hefty ban, like 6 months. As it was he only got 6 points for the one offence and a 2 week ban for the other.

Note: for a single speeding offence you can get points or a ban, but not both (unless under the totting up rule)
Old 01 March 2004, 04:24 PM
flatfourburble
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BMWhere?
Hard luck mate. At least it was a good old-fashioned un-marked car and not a sneaky scamera!

Just to p1ss you off a bit more... I was cruising on the motorway last night at a steady 120mph ...Driving back from Munich on the Autobahn and totally legal
lol nah that doesn't **** me off at all. I'm not a speed demon and the only reason I was going as fast as I was, was so I'd get home abit quicker. Not really a good enough reason
Old 01 March 2004, 04:30 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I got pulled on the M3 near Basingstoke a few years back in my XR3i I was doing 109mph.

I got 3 points and 300pound fine.

Told the judge I would lose my job if I got banned and also got my mate to page me a few times whilst I was in the courtroom in the attempt to make the judge see how important I was. I kept my licence and drove away from the court.
Old 01 March 2004, 04:33 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by flatfourburble
...the only reason I was going as fast...
LOL, you were only doing 106mph

Wurzel & Re-Bitten-Hero, I don't know about you guys, but I never exceeded 100kph on the country roads... or are you talking about the *private* roads???
Old 01 March 2004, 04:52 PM
flatfourburble
Scooby Regular

lol did mean it like that...........but I wasn't intending on going that quick, I drive a diesel they are meant to be slow!!!
Old 01 March 2004, 05:00 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

LOL, flatfourburble, sorry to go a little off topic, but just pointing out Britains archaic 70mph speed limits
Old 01 March 2004, 05:06 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Tough luck mate.
This is what happened to me, so read what you want into my case to see if it is similar.
Got caught speeding at 104mph a few years back with 3 surfboards on the top (was when i was slimmer and more sporty).Had to attend court in Sussex.Spoke to a solicitor over the phone at Legal Aid prior to going to court to ask his opinion.He said at that speed, with a clean licence and no points, if i pleaded my case i should get a warning. Went down there in the car (no-one available to give me a lift) and got seen last as everyone else had reprensentation.My case was heard and after 10 mins discussion they gave me 6 points, 2month ban and £500 fine !!! FFS it was my first offence...anyway i pleaded that i needed the car for my job etc etc and after another 10 mins they gave me a 1 month ban, 6 points and £250 fine.All the other lawyers at the court agreed that it was bit harsh.
All i could do was to take it on the chin, but i had a result in the end.When the licence came back to me they had forgotten to put the points on !!!
So be prepared for a small ban, some points and some money leaving your bank account unless you get them in a good mood.
Old 01 March 2004, 05:42 PM
Dazza's-STi
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Here goes...

Sep 1999..
107 on M6 Vascar for 27 seconds... no traffic on m-way.

I have a house, family, good job, live 80 miles from my nearest office "can't commute" job involves traveling around england... Letter from work stating job was up if could get to work! No points and passed both Adv driving tests IAM & ROSPA

Got legal help... and... result.

3 month ban... and only £150 fine and no points...

F*kers

I could have lost everything, and some W*nkers do 50 in a thirty and get 3 points.

insurance is still high now and that was 4 years ago!

T

good luck m8

Last edited by Dazza's-STi; 01 March 2004 at 05:43 PM.
Old 01 March 2004, 06:09 PM
FrenchBoy
Scooby Regular

I'm in the same boat as you mate.

I got caught doing 106 on the M25 in January and i'm still waiting for my summons to come through!!!!

It seems like its all down to the luck of the draw and how the magistrate is feeling that day.

If i were you i'd stop reading this thread, cause the stories where people got off only get your hopes up, and stories like Dazza-STI's and Tony's just depress/worry the **** out of you!!!!

Good luck.
Old 02 March 2004, 09:37 AM
flatfourburble
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FrenchBoy
I'm in the same boat as you mate.

I got caught doing 106 on the M25 in January and i'm still waiting for my summons to come through!!!!

It seems like its all down to the luck of the draw and how the magistrate is feeling that day.

If i were you i'd stop reading this thread, cause the stories where people got off only get your hopes up, and stories like Dazza-STI's and Tony's just depress/worry the **** out of you!!!!

Good luck.
yeah very true at the moment I'm going for the "worse case" so I've already put the car up for sale
it was my own fault so there is no point moaning, just mean that any "quick" car will have to be put off for the next X amount of years lol

Thank you all for you views and support, scoobynetters are the most friendly of all the people out there!

Frenchboy please do let me know how you get on and all the best!
Old 02 March 2004, 09:52 AM
FrenchBoy
Scooby Regular

Flat Four,

wow, thats preety drastic. have you had your summons yet?
I'm hoping to get away with 2-4 weeks, any more than that will be preety devastating. I'm getting a solicitor and will be throwing myself on the mercy of the court and hoping for the best!!

cheers,

frenchboy
Old 02 March 2004, 10:47 AM
flatfourburble
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FrenchBoy
Flat Four,

wow, thats preety drastic. have you had your summons yet?
I'm hoping to get away with 2-4 weeks, any more than that will be preety devastating. I'm getting a solicitor and will be throwing myself on the mercy of the court and hoping for the best!!

cheers,

frenchboy

nope not yet, but the agreement of my car is no points on licence but I'm not going to let it go for less than what I want, I was thinking of change cars anyway lol as like you I'm hoping for the same sort of thing.

BMWhere I agree the speed limit is low, it's still based on cars of 30 years ago. I think a sensable speed limited should be set as lets face it most people cruise between 80-90 on the motorway (lets face it most moden car will do that easy)
Old 02 March 2004, 12:38 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

150 kph average for me when on the bahn

trouble is when you get back to blighty you occasionally lapse!!!

the bitchbox in the copilots seat tend to kick in arounnd ** and you remember to back off!!!!!

on the bahn i rarley go below 100 mph the roads are so empty!!!!

Mart
Old 02 March 2004, 12:55 PM
FrenchBoy
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Mart,

thanks for your thoughtful insight into the driving Utopia that is Der Fatherland.

It makes me feel so much better about my increasing sense of doom concerning my license that you can hoon around with complete impunity, enjoying you car as god intended, while i can look forward to a lengthy ban, a life of increasingly paranoid motorway trips and obscene insurance premiums!

cheers

Quick Reply: Bad luck D'oh!!