Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best way to apply stickers & rubber to bodywork?

Search this Thread

Old 27 February 2004, 07:45 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to apply stickers & rubber to bodywork?

Hi folks,
Now i've heard various advice in relation to applying stickers to external bodywork, & windows for that matter, which is usually along the lines of apply a spray of water & washing liquid so you can move sticker around a bit still & then let dry... This works well enough but i have always found i get air bubbles trapped with this method & this still leaves a non perfect finish even when they dry out so am i doing something wrong or is carefull application dry the best technique?
Is it also best to remove all wax before applying? Just wondering how full on a wax wizard treatment is cunning plan before applying stickers as i only just waxed it last time out

Also i have some rubber, generously donated by a fello scoobynetter, to plug a missing piece of spoiler & i was just looking for tips on applying this via glue or bodywork type tape? If you can't tell i no jack so any help greatfully received

Ta
Si
Old 27 February 2004, 08:14 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Si you must be doing something wrong M8, if you apply the stickers with soapy water and then squidgy them out using one of hose rubber window cleaning squidgies you WILL get a perfect finish with no air bubbles if done slowely enough.

also when they are semi dry a blow over with a heat gun and then squidgy asell.

if you do end up with air bubbles then a pin ***** will get the air out and a rub over with a finger will cure it.

the vinyl will shrink and become stickier when slightly heated, not to hot or it will melt and shrink to much.

If you really get stuck then let me know. Not that I can directly help you but we can talk about it again.

Cheers

Steve
Old 27 February 2004, 08:37 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

me do something wrong ok it wouldn't be the first time lol
Sounds good plan i'll try it

Now all i need is a cunning plan on the rubber attaching front
Si
Old 28 February 2004, 12:27 AM
The Romping Armadillo
Scooby Regular

Wurzel, sounds bout right there, I used to fit the reflective strips and rear boards to fire engines and all we used was a bucket of soapy water with a spunge to get the surface wet then an old credit card to remove the bubbles, finally dry it out with a hair drier as its not too hot and with a pin to remove any final bubbles that were being b@r stewards and Bobs ya uncle. Sounds a bit bodgit and scarper but it worked a treat.