Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Subaru will have to honour Malta/Cyprus warranties...

Search this Thread

Old 17 February 2004, 06:14 PM
rapiddescent
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subaru will have to honour Malta/Cyprus warranties...

since Malta and Cyprus will be joining the EU on the 1st of May2004 - that will mean that Subaru (in the UK) will have to honour warranties on cars sourced from the cheapie scooby countries...

I imagine - and I will need help here - that it will also include cars purchased before the 1st May 2004 as well. I quite fancy getting one of those motorpoint cheapies as a run about - already got a UK sourced wrx wagon you see.

anyone know any different?

rd
Old 17 February 2004, 06:18 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Yes and no. Cars bought after the joining date, yes. Cars bought before, no (I mean why would they?).

Having said that, have a look at this thread and see my comments there as I beleive there is a case for these cars to be supported (kind of) by IM here.

Matt
Old 17 February 2004, 08:40 PM
AR
Scooby Regular

As I understand it, Motorpoint etc buy cars which have already been registered in the country of supply before shipping. Therefore, I guess, you would have to buy a car from them after, say, July to guarantee it gets the pan-European warranty.

Also, I presume that Subaru in Malta/Cyprus will have to put up the local price of cars to cover the fact that they have to have a better warranty on them than before? If this is the case then Motorpoint will need to raise prices also.
Old 18 February 2004, 11:08 AM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Roll on Motorpoint !!!!
Old 18 February 2004, 03:42 PM
sickboy
Scooby Regular

Exclamation maybe

in my experience IM don't actaully do any "honouring". You register your car with them for "cross border warranty" purposes. This means that for any warranty claim, the car is already on their system, and it expedites the process.

They still have to get work approved by, and claim off the supplying dealer in his country.

The first year (I think) is covered with the manufacturer ie. Fuji Heavy Industries. Subsequesnt years are down to the supplier. In my case I bought a Belgian car with 3 years total warranty. At year 2 a claim was made and they settle the bill for the UK repair work.

So I really doubt it will make any difference for Cyprus and Malta, unless is outside the first year- in which case they would need to offer a 2 or 3 year warranty at the point of sale. Does that make sense?
Old 18 February 2004, 05:05 PM
tmo
Scooby Regular

Interesting, very interesting