Sponsored by:

One Inch from losing my Scooby

Search this Thread

Old 08 February 2004, 01:51 PM
sulli
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face One Inch from losing my Scooby

Driving down my street doing a sensible 20-25ish mph, as it's residential, when suddenly a black cab doing at least 40 mph comes from a side road to my left and straight across in front of me, right across the road, not stopping at the junction.

As soon as I saw him I braked, and hard, and thank **** for me upgrading to 4-pots last month, as I missed his rear quarter by literally one inch.

I was on the ball as I didn't stall it, and adrenalin was pumping so I floored it after him. He must have realised he had no chance of getting away and he stopped. I got out of the car raging, grabbed him round the neck and gave him a slight telling off (read F'd and blinded so bad my mother would have fainted). He kept saying sorry, but didn't look like he meant it so I told him he was going to be picking his teeth up from the road and went to smack him. Common sense then came in, and I stopped myself - not sure how as my adrenaline made me feel like stomping on his head until it squashed

Ended up walking away with him shaking like a leaf - dozy tvvat

If I had been going any faster, like the legal 30mph, there is no way on earth i'd have stopped, as I must have gone from 25 to 0 in less 6ft. You can't legislate for some people on the roads.

Anyway, also took his reg, as funnily enough my head was kind of clear throughout, and i'm going to report him to the Council VVanker
Old 08 February 2004, 01:55 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Least the cars ok!
Old 09 February 2004, 12:52 PM
chrismc
Scooby Newbie

Gotta remember that taxi drivers have several injections before they start work. One for inconsideration, one for impatience, one for downright rudeness etc. Thing is my exwife has never driven taxis and she seems to have had overdoses on them all!
Old 09 February 2004, 12:57 PM
MrShades
Scooby Regular

Get ready for a visit from the local plod, investigating a serious road-rage incident....

I kid you not. In this lovely PC-gone-mad country that we live in they take the post-incident rage MUCH more seriously than the consequence of the actual incident these days....

Just hope the cabbie didn't report you.

Good luck!
Old 09 February 2004, 01:01 PM
sulli
Scooby Regular

LOL - report me???
I am reporting him for driving like a lunatic - he can report me for what he likes - won't get him anywhere, apart from if he does, this time I won't hold back.
Old 09 February 2004, 01:45 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

Appreciate how you felt Sulli but the police dont take too kindly to chasing some one down and then agressively man handling them. Mind you lucky a brawl didn't break out. There's not many people who just stand there while someone has hold of their neck.

Sometimes the best course of action is just to take a deep breath and be thankful that you had enough wits to avoid an accident. I dont think the council would do much you know. Plus you always have to think about these poor buggers that jump out of their cars, get in to a confrontation than get stabbed or similar.

I'm sure in a few days time you'll be glad that you didn't punch the guy. Bet it was funny though if you were a passing motorist!!
Old 09 February 2004, 01:56 PM
evoviifan
Scooby Regular

I have to agree with other people posting here...i think getting out of the car and kicking off is the wrong way to go.

He was driving like a right pr**k no doubt, but I think you may have taken it too far yourself.

IMHO.

I dont know what you can do about things like that...reporting him will be of little use...just have to let the thing go, and think yourself lucky that you got away without injury or car damage.
Old 09 February 2004, 02:03 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Anyway, also took his reg, as funnily enough my head was kind of clear throughout, and i'm going to report him to the Council VVanker
Lol, cool your jets. As things stand (if your story is true and not some daydream), you are the only one potentially in the sh*t.

I am reporting him for driving like a lunatic - he can report me for what he likes
How about driving like a lunatic? "...adrenalin was pumping so I floored it after him. He must have realised he had no chance of getting away and he stopped. I got out of the car raging". Guilty as charged your worship...

won't get him anywhere,
On the contrary. It'd probably get him a newspaper story and some compensation.

apart from if he does, this time I won't hold back.
Lol.

The council won't take any action against the cabbie, and your actions have potentially put you in line for a charge of threatening behaviour or assault. If you have any sense you'll forget about this as quickly as possible and hope the other party does the same.

Last edited by greasemonkey; 09 February 2004 at 02:09 PM.
Old 09 February 2004, 02:36 PM
dan4
Scooby Regular

www.blackcab.com Have alook at this site for a story about a tw*t in a scooby that was driving too fast and nearly hit this poor blokes cab. Then the scooby driver chased after him with his neons blazong. Luckily the cabbie was able to give him a good shoeing as the impreza driver was too busy waiting for his turbo to cool down after flooring it to defend himself...
Old 09 February 2004, 03:18 PM
currymonster
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by dan4
www.blackcab.com Have alook at this site for a story about a tw*t in a scooby that was driving too fast and nearly hit this poor blokes cab. Then the scooby driver chased after him with his neons blazong. Luckily the cabbie was able to give him a good shoeing as the impreza driver was too busy waiting for his turbo to cool down after flooring it to defend himself...
Lol, at Dan - mad as a bag of frogs!
Old 09 February 2004, 04:39 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

Despite my previous post condemning Sullis actions lets be honest we've all felt exactly the same at some point or another.

Hope you've calmed down mate.
Old 09 February 2004, 07:19 PM
sulli
Scooby Regular

Yeah i've calmed down.
I had enough common sense to realise that it was wrong to give him a pasting, though I was very close.
If anyone has ever got that close to being written off by a lunatic driver they will understand the feelings involved - I haven't been that angry in years, and I really could have done some damage, particularly if he had a go - he wasn't that stupid though.
As for me getting done - no chance at all, I simply followed him at which point he stopped, and I calmly explained to him the error of his ways officer. Lay a hand on him? I simply patted his shoulder in a kindly gesture as I said 'gosh that was a close call, did your brakes fail at that junction you just sped over?'
And, he is still guilty of reckless driving, which was witnessed, as it was on my road and a neighbour saw it
Old 09 February 2004, 07:53 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

fair play to suli, i would have done the same, ive actualy done the same to a white van man who was being a total ***** on a dual carrige way cutting people up (what looked to be for fun!) i was holding back, watching him keeping out of the way, get near the end at the traffic lights and im slowing dow,n get along side his rear wheel and he pulls out of his lane and into mine !!!!!

then after i lock up and skid to a halt he then cuts his way back into his correct lane and starts to take a slip road, i drive past, theres no way i can get over to him, hes laffing at me as i drive past

ill be honest i was ****en rageing at this point, i took the next exit which was a side street, went round a few corners and lo and behold here comes the white van man towards me

ohh how he shat his pants, tried to swing it around and nearly took out another car, he was caught up at a junction, i was pretty angry at this point, bailed from my car, ran up and half dragged him from the van, unlike you i gave him a bit of a slap while screaming my head off, he wasnt laffing anymore, what a ****en tosser, i also gave his back quarter a good fisting as he drove away.

stupid ***** in a works van who couldnt care less about other people got what he deserved that day, and i would do it again, if it were to happen again

that is just the way i am
respect for backing off and not hitting him, i dont have that kind of self control, once i lose it, i really lose it, maybe i need to cleanse my mind or sumthing lol
Old 09 February 2004, 08:51 PM
andypugh2000
Scooby Regular

Angry

I think most of us are guilty of something along these lines when provoked by sheer stupidity of fellow road users, i know i am and on more than one occasion have challenged people over their actions.

But the only thing that really annoys me about cab drivers is their sheer laziness, we have them come round our streets picking up people but they wont get out and knock but just sit on their horn repeatedly until someone comes out, this p!sses me off big time as they manage to do it regardless of the time of night.

I asked one cabbie for his name and address so i could sit outside his house revving the bo!!ocks off my HKS and sounding my horn, he seemed puzzled and gave the usual grunt and wound his window up.

Moan over
Old 10 February 2004, 05:31 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Unhappy

I allways find it wierd how cabbies spend so much time in a car. Yet they seem to be some of the worst drivers on the road. I have had one or two come very close to hiting me through careless driving.

No disrespect to the few cabbies who can drive and know the highway code but most of them are sh*t behind the wheel and it is their job!!!

Best wishes
Steve