Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

At last! Buying a new WRX this week, need advice on options...

Search this Thread

Old 27 January 2004, 08:23 PM
papascooby
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I wanna know what's worth having and what's not. I've already discounted most of it and the PPP will be coming later, but which of these would you advise on getting.

Reports from anyone that has any would be just dandy;

Anti Dust/Pollen Filter £ 49.95
any difference?

Sports Gauge Pack & Case £745.00
Seems expensive? Better/cheaper avaiable?

Prodrive 294mm Front Disc Upgrade - 329.00
Uprated Front Brake Pad Set - £ 164.50
Are the pads for the bigger discs, or are they seperate items? What size discs are std? Are the 294mm adequate after PPP?
Better/cheaper avaiable?

Quickshift Gear Change £ 199.95
Much difference?

SPRING KIT IMPREZA WRX 2003MY £ 195
Just harder springs? Handling improved much? Ride compromosed much? Better/cheaper avaiable?

I'll probably get the mats, sills and possibly front and back headlight packs (depending how corsaboy they look) just because I'm a bit of a tart.
Old 27 January 2004, 10:00 PM
Fizz
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
you will need to do something with the brakes but I don't think that the prodrive ones are the best option. either go for a big brake kit such as AP or Brembo or get good quality group N ones and Ferodo DS2500 pads e.g. from TSL or Scoobysport or one of godspeed kits...

Springs are a good choice. The rest is not required. If you want gauges then go for a SECS monitor they have just released one with a groovy screen that is not LCD.....
Old 27 January 2004, 10:28 PM
mrklaw
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
but if its a new WRX, he might not want to dump the warranty just yet.....

I wish I'd gone for the sills and colour coded side skirts, just because they look lovely.

Don't know about the lights though - got a link to any pictures?
Old 27 January 2004, 11:21 PM
stevoWRX
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hi Papascooby,

Bought my Scoob WRX 5 months ago , thought it was the dogs danglies .. until .. 1000 mile service bought the Prodrive BackBox.. ... Nice burble noise that SOUNDS like a Scoob should ... 3 weeks ago Dealer fitted the Prodrive Spring Kit and a Strutbrace [EXCITED MODE ON] TOTALLY TRANSFORMED THE CAR !!! NO understeer , BRILLIANT handling , corners FAR better ,grips the road + makes the car feel alive on the great wee country roads .. BRINGS SUCH A SMILE TO YER FACE !! ... DO IT , YOU WONT REGRET IT !!
[EXCITED MODE OFF]

Hope this helps ,

Steve
Old 27 January 2004, 11:23 PM
MadGrip
Scooby Regular

and after you've spent all that money on your new motor...

make sure you Secure It

Phil
Old 27 January 2004, 11:25 PM
markbluemica
Scooby Regular

can only help with the quick shift and the springs they are both a must have in my book totaly transform your car
Old 27 January 2004, 11:29 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

I agree, I found 18 ich wheels and springs more fun than the extra power on my02 wrx

forget the dials, defi gauges or a secs unit, defis look better and secs does more

if the dealer isn't going to knock much of wait till you get it,
because others will

see if you can get a discount with a sidc membership and if so go for it

sometime pays to move away from subaru/prodrive as cheaper and better quality items are to be found but watch out for your warrenty
Old 28 January 2004, 10:03 AM
papascooby
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks for the info guys

Looks like a deffo for the spring kit and quickshift then.

How much difference does the (front i presume?) strutbrace make, is it something most do, or is the difference in Stevo's car mainly the springs?

How badly is the comfort of the ride compromised? I'll be using mine every day down some pretty average country roads and I don't want it to be like an EVO or even Sti (I imagine not having been in one).

Re: Security. I'm gonna get a Tracker/Trackstar fitted after reading some of the stories on here about the way theives are operating, but I don't know that I fancy tapping in a pin, whenever I have to drive, esp. since you'd want the pad to be hidden away. Also I'm in Berkshire and don't fancy the trip to Leeds.

OK - No Gauges, but can't you get things Monitors like that Psi 3 one that also do 0-60 / 1/4 mile times etc?

How are the brakes as standard?

I've also decided that the standard lights look better than the kits, you can see them In the WRX, Accessories, External section of the subaru uk website.
Old 28 January 2004, 10:38 PM
stevoWRX
Scooby Regular

Hi Papascooby again,

The front strutbrace makes the car turn-in better . Consulted a couple a people here on Scoobynet + others and it seemed the 2 go hand in hand .

Why don't you come on Scoobychat esp late evenings/nights ? Theres a lot of good people on here ( inc. me ) and means u can ask as many questions as u like .

BTW .. I use mine every day for work and pleasure and it's fine .. just makes you feel you are driving something that wee bit more special + thoroughbred .

Steve
Old 28 January 2004, 11:03 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

just buy the springs for now.

better aftermarket parts, which aren't necessarily warranty un-friendly, are available.

also bear in mind that its easy to spend a couple of grand getting dealer fit options, which won't really enhance the resale value.

the same couple of grand could buy you a proper set of brakes, a de-cat and and Ecutek (wouldn't do a lot for the warranty tho)

bide your time, get used to the car, then go shopping.