Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warranty help/advice (Prodrive Spring Kit fitting/Sti8 Battery problems)

Search this Thread

Old 26 January 2004, 01:33 PM
phil_r24
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
(The below post/information has been cleared with International Motors (IM) / Subaru UK, as it contains extracts from private e-mails)

Hi all,

Well you may have seen, or have contributed to my previous post over at the SIDC Forums Warranty help/advice.

Well after talking to International Motors, I have a definitive answer to the situation regarding the fitting of the Prodrive Spring Kit by a third party garage (non-Subaru dealer).

--------

The definitive answer is as follows:

If the Prodrive spring kit is fitted by an official Subaru dealer then it is covered by a 3 year/60,000 mile warranty if there is a manufacturing defect. However, if you choose to either fit the kit yourself, or have a third party garage (i.e. non-Subaru dealer) install the kit and there is a suspected manufacturing defect, it would be necessary for it to be inspected by a dealer, and the installation checked (It would then be at Prodrive's discretion as to whether or not any claim would be allowed). If it was originally fitted by a Subaru dealer the cost of the labour could also be claimed, but, if it were fitted by a third party, the cost of the parts only would be allowed. It is recommended that a Subaru dealer fits the spring as they will have up to date technical and installation information.

--------

Well I hope the above information is of some assistance, and helps to clarify the situation regarding third party garages (non-Subaru dealers) fitting the Prodrive Spring Kit.

Sti8 Battery Problems

During my discussions with IM regarding the Prodrive spring kit/fitting situation, I asked several questions regarding my MY03 Sti8 battery problems (As I’m today having my second replacement battery fitted!!).

Firstly I asked about the possibility of the alternator being linked to the MY03 Sti8’s battery problems, and the recommendation of driving with the side lights on in order to ensure the battery is correctly charged. IM told me that they have carried out various tests and there is no problem with the alternator on the current MY03 Sti8, and that all their tests showed the alternator to be correctly charging the battery.

I also asked IM about the potential for a high voltage drain on the MY03 Sti8 causing the battery to completely discharge. IM said that they have had no reports of any MY03 Sti8 with high voltage drain issues, and thus IM did not expect there to be any link with the batch of reported battery problems.

The latest bit of information I have on the MY03 STi8 battery situation has come from my local dealer. The alternator charge to the battery is controlled by the ECU, and where the battery falls to 11.8 volts the ECU recharges the battery

Ok well I hope the above information is of some assistance, and I would also like to take this opportunity to thanks International Motors / Subaru UK for all their help with the above information.

[Edited by phil_r24 - 1/26/2004 1:34:53 PM]
Old 26 January 2004, 01:58 PM
BlueSimon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keep it hush hush, but my MY03 WRX battery has just been replaced

Simon