Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CARBON FIBRE

Search this Thread

Old 23 January 2004, 01:15 AM
SUBTYPER
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anybody know of a compnay or how easy it would be to fabricate in Carbon Fibre A pillars, B pillars and C pillars of a Subaru impreza.
Old 23 January 2004, 01:24 AM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

What? Are you talking about replacing the plastic pillar liners with CF ones, or replacing the entire pillar structure?
Old 23 January 2004, 02:30 AM
Dan B
Scooby Regular

how easy it would be to fabricate in Carbon Fibre A pillars, B pillars and C pillars of a Subaru impreza.
its a complete cvnt.... better off finding a prefab one from a company that ain't run away with everyone elses parts! Like someone in the US.
Old 23 January 2004, 03:00 AM
Dan B
Scooby Regular

ohh, look, I can get another c-card
Old 23 January 2004, 05:33 PM
SUBTYPER
Scooby Senior

Talking about replacing the plastic pillar liners
Old 23 January 2004, 05:39 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

It's not the sort of part that resin impregnated carbon fibre would be suited to Subtyper.

The plastic pillar liners are a one piece part (per side) that would not only be very expensive to produce if you decided to have custom made in carbon fibre, it'd also be a sod to fit as the plastic ones are quite floppy and have moulded-in clips, which would have to be reproduced as separate (probably machined) parts and bonded into place.

The finished part would likely tend to rattle rather than sit snugly in place, and the sound reflective nature of the carbon fibre finish would also amplify cabin noise.

If you're just thinking about cosmetics, your easiest option would be to cover the existing parts in that carbon look film, or even just spray it metallic black...
Old 23 January 2004, 05:43 PM
SUBTYPER
Scooby Senior

Thanks GreaseMonkey For the good advice but will the Carbon fibre film match up with real carbon fibre dashboard bits and bobs. I might be having a triple gauge pod made in real carbon fibre for the dashtop box and dont want the two effects to clash. As i was hoping to add defi gauges to the center pod and the driver side a pillar.

Trending Topics

Old 23 January 2004, 06:02 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

but will the Carbon fibre film match up with real carbon fibre dashboard bits and bobs. I might be having a triple gauge pod made in real carbon fibre for the dashtop box and dont want the two effects to clash.
Difficult to say, I've never used the sheet stuff. As you may have gathered from my other posts I don't overly go for "styling" stuff, I care more about how the car goes than how it looks.

I doubt you'd ever get a cosmetic printed sheet to look exactly like carbon fibre, because carbon fibre itself looks different according to the type of fibre, the weave and the resin used.

If I was in your shoes I'd leave the pillar liners as they are. That way there's no chance of them looking "bad", or otherwise drawing attention to themselves.
Old 23 January 2004, 09:42 PM
SUBTYPER
Scooby Senior

Why I want to change the Pillar liners is I can get a carbon fibre three gauage pod. But think it will look odd to the rest of the Pillars
Old 24 January 2004, 02:43 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

That's why I was suggesting you leave the pillars as they are. If you put a carbon fibre pillar pod on, it'll look like you put a carbon fibre pillar pod on.

If you get a carbon fibre pillar pod, and cover the rest of the pillar in cosmetic film, I suspect the real carbon fibre will make the fake stuff look even more fake, and the result will look much worse than if you'd just left the pillars standard.
Old 25 January 2004, 03:34 AM
Simon Lau
Scooby Regular

SUBTYPER, I agree with greasemonkey here that if you have the centre pod made from carbon fibre (the real stuff) then forget about doing the pillars because the carbon fibre film will differ from brand to brand and you will find it difficult to find a close match.

Therefore I suggest you stick with the carbon pod and forget about 'carbon fibre-ing' the pillars otherwise you might notice too much of a difference once you've got the job done!
Old 26 January 2004, 03:50 PM
SUBTYPER
Scooby Senior

Good advice thanks for all the responses.
Old 26 January 2004, 10:39 PM
siwrx
Scooby Regular

the fake carbon look stuff looks nothing like real carbon whatsoever. Its just black with silver squares on it. Real carbon has a depth that you can't replicate in a film.

The other guy is right, put a fake carbon pod on a real carbon pillar and it will stand out almost as much as sticking it to the stock grey one
Old 26 January 2004, 10:52 PM
SUBTYPER
Scooby Senior

So is Nito Sports Carbon Fibre defi triple gauge hood fake carbon or real. And is there interior bits fake or real. Does anybody know.