Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

check your nuts guys!

Search this Thread

Old 17 January 2004, 12:58 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
had some tyres swapped over at ELITE last friday, just cleaned the car and have found one of the wheel nuts is gone!!
obviously should have checked the nuts were done up when i got home, but forgot and haven't looked until today.
all the other nuts are done up fine and they were all there when i left ELITE
i would have thought after paying £35(!) to change 2 tyres over they would have done a simple ******* job of doing nuts up correctly[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
not even gonna bother phoning up and moaning as i know it will be a waste of time.
good job i spotted it before it goes on the rollers monday!
thanks for a great job ELITE

[Edited by hoskib - 1/17/2004 12:59:40 PM]
Old 17 January 2004, 02:39 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

I'd phone them up and play hell if I were you. You paid them to do a job that is crucial to the safety of your car, and yet they obviously didn't do it properly.

If the nuts had been checked with a torque wrench prior to them giving you the car back, they wouldn't have come loose.

I take it you've checked the other 9 (or 19, depending on whether the wheels were swapped around), and found that they're all still tight?
Old 17 January 2004, 04:40 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

yeah the others are fine mate,the bit that pisses me off is i went there thinking they were the best for the job (got 18" P1 alloys and didn't want them marked) they only put the tiniest of marks on 1 wheel, so i went away thinking they were the bollox, now i don't rate them higher than kwik-fit, and at least kwik fit wouldn't have charged so much!!
not impressed.
Old 17 January 2004, 05:14 PM
Chungster
Scooby Regular

I've had numerous tyre changes done at Elite, and I'm 50miles away!

Always looked after the car and rims.

No problems at all with them in my book.

If i needed tyres, and Elite had them, I'd go there again!

Lee
Old 17 January 2004, 06:41 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

see where you're coming from lee, i've had nothing but good results from them in the past too, but what they did was nothing short of amatuerish.
driving around with 4 nuts to hold my wheel on might have resulted in me having a bad crash, this isn't a vendetta against elite, just me having a justified moan.
Old 17 January 2004, 06:56 PM
dazz d
Scooby Newbie

just put another nut on and stop ur moaning
Old 17 January 2004, 07:25 PM
Type R
Scooby Regular

If you check your receipt it proberly says remember to check your nuts, after ....miles.
Old 17 January 2004, 08:03 PM
matty01
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Many companys have a disclaimer notice telling you to check your nuts after a certain distance (typically 30-50miles)some have been known to work loose after bieng correctly torqued on re-fitting[it's to do with dirty mounting surfaces/'debris' on hub/wheel and heat etc],if you didn't know this(in your case you did) and they didn't tell you ,then you have a point in telling them that they didn't point this out to you at the time but thats all, CHANCES are that the nuts were all ok{you sais they were all there when you left] but they do leave themselves open to bieng sued if an accident is caused by a loose/missing nut/s if they didn't tell you to re-check them ,verbally or by a reasonably visible notice. Having said all that i don't ALWAYS check mine, although i know i really should
Old 17 January 2004, 08:35 PM
Chungster
Scooby Regular

yeah, i think they print on the receipt to say please ensure to check your wheel nuts after 100 miles or something.

But I'd be fuming also if i had a tyre change at anyplace, and one of the nuts has decided to do a runner on its own!

not good at all.

When I swapped my tyres around with a mates help, he made me do up the nuts TWICE round on all 4 wheels with a torque wrench, set at the correct pressure, just to make sure they all stay on etc.

Lee

Old 17 January 2004, 08:38 PM
adstephens
Scooby Newbie

replace some tyres a while back at Just tyres and lost a hub cap and nut. They offered to pay for new ones after having a 'quiet' word