Sponsored by:

Looking at a MY01's tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 16 January 2004, 09:13 PM
MoonCat
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey up,
I am going to look at some 01 UK Turbos tomorrow.
Is there anything specific to this year to watch out for?

All are standard
Any known problems etc would be brill.

Ta
Old 16 January 2004, 09:22 PM
sugar04
Scooby Newbie

bugeye ?????
Old 16 January 2004, 09:43 PM
G00ner
Scooby Regular

Location: Poole - in an Isuzu D-Max LE (Prodrive Version) Gamer Tag "Coin Slot"
Dealer or private ?

Things like people passing imports off as UK is a start.
Piston slap on a very small number of Bugeye's I read somewhere.
Look for later cars with 10,000 mile servicing.
Uneven front tyre wear.
Juddery clutches.
Brake squeal.

Personally I would be put off cars with anything more than mild mods, i.e no full-decats, remaps etc unless you have money in reserve to get them fixed.
1/3rd party warrantys next to worthless.

Well worth an inspection when you find one you like.

Try and stretch to an STi if you can, well worth it.
Old 16 January 2004, 09:46 PM
sugar04
Scooby Newbie

Red face

i agree or try to hold of to an MY03, much better car all round and better residual if u decide to sell in a while !!!!!!
Old 16 January 2004, 10:01 PM
Taff107
Scooby Regular

..Juddery clutches..
I think you'll be looking for a long time for one without a juddery clutch. I think most suffer from it, especially when cold
Old 16 January 2004, 10:01 PM
MoonCat
Scooby Regular

Thanks,
They are all private sales, its for my brother I currently drive a 97 WRX so will spot a import, well a bad one anyway! was not sure what is what on a newer model. They have all got a bit of warrenty left on them so nice to know what can be fixed
Budget cant stretch to a 03 (Its a good job or I would get Very Jealous !!)

Thanks
Old 16 January 2004, 10:56 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Having owned an MY01 (lightly modded - semi decat) for a couple of years and done just over 50K miles, I'll give you my thoughts:

Generally the car has been extremly reliable. I've had a clutch replaced under warranty - judder being the problem. It doesn't stop the clutch working, it is just annoying when the car is cold.

I had an exhaust gas temperature sensor failure. Incidently EGT failures don't seem to be related to semi or full decat exhausts. There have been reports of failures on all types of MY01. Again this was a warranty job. Not much you can do to check for this. The early symptons were stalling when cold and the revs dropping when trying to acclerate.

Like most Scoobs, they seem to suffer from dodgy wheel alignment which can lead to the uneven tyre wear. A visit to Powerstation sorted mine out and it's been fine ever since.

I've also had one rear suspension unit replaced under warranty.

Interior quality is much improved over classic Scoobs (I owned one for 2 years, prior to my MY01). Few rattles and the fit is better. I've had no problems. Seats and upholstery still look good after 50k miles.

Check the paint finish (stone chips are a big problem), brakes etc.The Scoob is a heavy car, so the brakes can take a hammering if it has been abused.

FSH is essential. I would want to be sure that the car has had regular oil changes. If the car has a high milage, then the cam belt should have been changed at 50K miles - make sure it has been done.

Check to see if a service is due, small ones will cost around £150, larger services upto £450 - £500 (from a main dealer), so check!

Generally, I would recommend the car. I've enjoyed mine. It has been on track, done trips across Europe on several occassions and been used for my daily commute. Can't really complain.

Chris
Old 17 January 2004, 12:37 AM
G00ner
Scooby Regular

Location: Poole - in an Isuzu D-Max LE (Prodrive Version) Gamer Tag "Coin Slot"
The funny thing is the variance from one model to another, things like my paint (blue/black) have been excellent with hardly a mark in 60,000 miles, others have had terrible paint.

Then the rattles, jesus christ my car rattled like a b1tch once the miles hit 35/40k miles, dash, doors, door frames, suspension etc, one of the main reasons for dumping it.

I personally don't feel that the cars hide their age very well at all, mechanicals are mostly good, but the cheapo plastics soon start to age, especially if it's been taken out for ice installs/alarms etc.

As for the dealers, or what's left of them, 90% of Subaru dealers are every bit as bad as Ford/Vaux/Ren/Pug etc, many are big multi-franchise super dealers that have absolutely no idea of customer care or personalised service.
Old 17 January 2004, 12:59 AM
ChrisS/P1
Scooby Regular

Why are you even looking at 00's/01's. They are regarded as the dark years (bugs).

For a bigger punch and more fun, go for a 2nd hand P1 @ 17K or even better, an STI5/6 for about 13/14K.

You've GOT to drive anything before you buy it. Try all above, and see what you like.

Chris
Old 17 January 2004, 01:12 AM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

talking about highly modded cars, these as we all know can be put back to standard - I would advise you take a look under the car and check for shiney new bolt and exhaust sections

personely I would be more worried about track days etc. My my02 has quite a few mods but it has never ever been trashed and would be a good buy for any one and I am sure most people on here would say the same about their cars

a std car being Reved hard when cold day in day out would be worse than a enthusiast (sp) doing a track day once a year

so its not quite as clear cut as people try and make out - may be this is the reason scoobies are not holding their value