Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Beginning to doubt Scooby ownership ..

Search this Thread

Old 16 January 2004, 03:48 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I felt the same about two years ago - sold the UK300 and got an Audi A4 Quattro - sold the A4 got a Focus ST170. Sold the ST170 and got a STi8.

These others cars might be able to keep up but they aint half as much fun in getting there

Old 16 January 2004, 03:56 PM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

Cool

Discs - £150 from Godspeed.
Pads - £45 from GGR.
Cambelt - £65 from GGR.

Do it all yourself - no charge.

Insurance - can't help there really.

Done all the above on my STI3.

Depends if you want a service stamp for a few hundred quid each time.

Spend the rest on bits you really want..

Kevin.

[Edited by Kevin Groat - 1/16/2004 3:58:10 PM]
Old 16 January 2004, 04:11 PM
FiveO
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Don't go to a main dealer = save ££££££.
Scoobs are not difficult cars to work on and parts are only expensive if you don't bother shopping around.
Old 16 January 2004, 04:25 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
in gear you may be suprised what will keep very close with you from 40mph upwards.
Old 16 January 2004, 04:27 PM
Scrappydoo2003
Scooby Regular

Well sell it... sow your wild oats for a while, and then see if you want to come back...

At the end of the day, do you enjoy driving it? You didn't buy it for financial reasons, did you?
Old 16 January 2004, 04:49 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Doofus...

Did some sums recently mate and mine has cost (inc fuel but not depreciation )£22,800 to run for 26 months (inc a blown engine and gearbox)

Made me think about it a bit
Old 16 January 2004, 04:49 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

I very much doubt your as close to the scooby's limit as you think you are. IMHO it has a 2-stage limit: 1st you start to feel her riggle around a bit and sure enough this is with little speed or committment and not any more impressive than a normal saloon. The 2nd limit is where you suck you b@lls into your throat and accelerate a LOT harder and through that first barrier and make the 4wd earn its keep. The limit beyond this is where she leaves the road very hard and very fast and you die so its not to be pushed THAT far.

I had mines sliding about coming off a roundabout on part throttle at 20mph. I could have taken the same roundabout again 2secs later at 40mph if I picked my line and just mashed it.
Old 16 January 2004, 04:56 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

know what you mean doofus, i've had this same thing happen to me!
my scoob seems crap overtaking stuff up hills and alot of lesser powered cars ain't exactly been left for dead either! i think alot of my experiences are down to me not going beyond the point i feel safe pushing the car to and maybe the guy in front or chasing me is just driving like a loon to keep pace.
i'm just gonna cheat now to keep ahead of the competion, i'm getting it remapped monday now keep up rep man!!
Old 16 January 2004, 04:58 PM
DJ140
Scooby Regular

Doofus, this must be a wind up, or you are a really slow driver, or not prepared to drive fast on a public road.

2 of the cars you mention, the Mondeo TDCi and the 320D are owned by friends of mine and although have fairly decent pace are no match for a well driven Impreza. Even a sport would keep ahead of the Mondeo!
Old 16 January 2004, 05:10 PM
scoobypig
Scooby Regular

Doofus.
U'll get a range of replies here.
I'm currently scoobyless by choice even though I've had a large payrise.Decided no point having it for commuting (stuck in traffic etc,I was still at the pumps a lot, expensive insurance etc)
So I commuted in an old wreck and used scoob at w/e
Problem was seemed even less point paying all the money then so sold it,(WRX02ppp)
I still miss it but I'm now well on the way to paying of the mortgage and that really feels great.
My advice is sell it if you want to save money for something specific otherwise keep it or trade up.
Finally as above for gods sake dont let dealer do brakes etc.
change pads etc yourself it's SO easy. Buy parts from elsewhere eg Alyn in Durham (or similar place)
Get quotes for insurance with high XS and initially for 8K miles then, later tell em u need to extend it(oddly it often works out cheaper!)
If u do sell, like me u'll still read this site for nostalgia!

Good Luck
Old 16 January 2004, 06:02 PM
Dazza's-STi
Scooby Regular

Cool

It’s an odd thing to describe "performance" its not just about point to point speed... You have to realise several things that aren’t immediately obvious...
These are: When moving on any road above 40 and let’s say you have a very twisty bit of road for two miles. .i.e. country lane!
Physics act on fast cars and slower cars the same way, the differences between a fast road car and something like a Mundane-o! are marginal. This isn’t as daft as it sounds. In the short bits between the bends the fast car can take advantage of the difference in in-gear times, these times aren’t always as large as you would think...
For example say you had a good driver in an average motor; down a 200m straight bit & let’s say your car is very quick. In the 200m you gained 20mph on him… 70-to your 90mph… This in most cases is very optimistic…! Before breaking you would have gained only a two second advantage!
Considering you would have to break sooner the advantage is only around 1.5 seconds…
Then around the corners, physics, tyres and suspension setup account for the possible advantages on the road… given a good driver in both cars you could possible get around the corner maybe a full second quicker, again maybe optimistc!
In all the differences aren’t huge…
Even around the Top Gear track, the differences aren’t enormous, the Scoob Sti was around 3 seconds slower than the Mercialago… this is a 550bhp car with huge grip!
I was following a Renault Cleo 172 the other day @ 60mph and he floored it passed a car, I followed flat out but was not gaining super quickly!

I’ve done this next to a big bike @ 90mph and he didn’t leave me for dead…

You see you have to take in the whole experience of having a performance car in consideration, the way it feels and handles is what you pay for and most people pay good $$ for it because they enjoy it.

In all honesty I used to drive an Astra Van, but have been all over drivers of much quicker cars who where really trying down twisty country roads, this difference is never as great as you think…

Dazza

Old 16 January 2004, 07:55 PM
Peter Ross
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

Hello Doofus, I know the feeling. I mostly drive (when driving through choice or for fun) on single carriageway "A" Class roads. When driving sensibly, I find that there is not a lot of distance between me and the guy behind except on the straights where the HP, not the turbo, is quicker. The next time you have doubt about your car's abilities, do a nice twisty road when there's no-one about(eg.A85:A819)in the dark and wet, then re-visualise in a FWD, N/A. Now check your fuel level!

When it boils down to it, you will always pay a premium when owning an Impreza, but there are very few cars in this price range which share the same kudos. How many 3 series TDi's / A4 owners do you know who are stopped regularly to enquire about their cars by Joe Public?

Me? I love and hate my car. I love its looks and performance and I also hate it for both reasons. At the end of the day, I will scrimp and scrape, defend its name, denigrate and defend it to friends but I fully intend to keep going.

PS. If you're selling yours, I'll buy it!
Old 16 January 2004, 08:14 PM
deano555
Scooby Regular

Cool

Doofus,
Don't buy a BMW if maintenance costs worry you, I should know a little because I fix them for a living, If you were going to get a 318 get a push bike instead, you will have more fun and yes the 330d is a fine car but it will eat tyres and brakes and keep you has much out of pocket hasthe scoob would. Why not chop it in for a new one with longer service intervals ?
Old 16 January 2004, 08:28 PM
sugar04
Scooby Newbie

peter, i no the A819 and what a road that is except those damn lights, if they catch u that is, my x-RS used to batter up & down it everyday & soon my new sti will be doing the same, as for the guy with the problem scoobie keep it m8, as a guy from an irish dealership said on wednesday "its what dreams are made of" !!

[Edited by sugar04 - 1/16/2004 8:29:29 PM]
Old 16 January 2004, 08:52 PM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

Doofus

I agree - we all need a change from Subaru now and again.
(6 times owner)

I also owned a 2.5 TDi V6 Quattro A4 from new for 45k. Chipped it to 185bhp and couldn't sensibly fault it. On saying that, the 225bhp Octavia 4x4 I have now is a lot more fun to drive but as well built. This replaced a car similar to yours. Do I miss the Impreza ? NO - a change is good now and again.

[Edited by Flat 4x4 - 1/16/2004 8:54:20 PM]
Old 16 January 2004, 09:07 PM
Peter Ross
Scooby Newbie

At the risk of hi-jacking the thread 'cos Doofus has gone for a Scooby-Pint :

Sugar '04 :What lights? See you up there!

Maybee I speak from the sticks but Scoobs are still a bit of a head and an ear turner where I live.

Enough said.

Old 16 January 2004, 09:24 PM
sugar04
Scooby Newbie

peter, A819 Broxburn ???? or am i wrong ?? soz if i am
Old 17 January 2004, 03:47 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

I have an aversion to going backwards into trees and have no confidence in these Toyo boots in the damp/cold. I think I'm maybe heading into bends a bit quick, braking hard, throwing the balance out so tend to tiptoe round
That fair enough and no matter what people say you shouldn't drive any faster than you feel confident about. The scooby doesn't really respond like a hot-hatch so fast in isn't always the best way. She likes to be 'punched' out of corners but if you have a UK like me this can be difficult as I find the way the diffs distribute power is a little unpredictable. I'd like an STI Type-R one day
Old 17 January 2004, 04:30 PM
wadsy69
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

There really is no substitute for good training (imho!) I have previously owned an integrale. I thought I drove quite quick! ha
Until I was taken out in car driven by someone (John Whalley) who really can drive. It was an eye opener. I did one of his Integrale driving courses and it helped loads.

Find someone who rally (handy pun!) knows their stuff, not just a mate who thinks he does! and you could have a really pleasant surprise as well as great fun in the process.

Having done a few courses I'm still keen to do more, I think there is always more to learn, no matter what your ability. I'm sure it would give you more confidence, speed and make you safer as well!

Cheers

Wad