Sponsored by:

2nd Scoob? Quite long...

Search this Thread

Old 15 January 2004, 02:12 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

We may have to soon consider having a second car. Nic's mum is understandably getting weary of us pinching hers on a daily basis.
We're not doing anything about it yet, so offers of cars for sale is a little premature, but will appreciated for price research.

We've got an Impreza saloon and that's staying. The question is what to add with it for the best effect.

Nic would like a convertable sports car. She likes the MG TF and the S2000, but not the MX5, however the 2 candidates are rather a lot of cash outlay. The MG still has some depreciating to do IMHO and the S2k is a fair bit over budget. The second car has to not lose too much in a year or two in case it has to go in a hurry. (This obviously rules out new and very nearly new cars still on the fast bit of the depreciation curve)

The obvious advantage(disadvantage) is that a new(ish) car will be dealer serviced (at a cost) and should be very reliable and under warranty for the first couple of years.

She will only (and quite rightly ) consider cars with sensible performance i.e. quick(ish)

I suggested an Impreza wagon (or even another saloon) as a possible solution, although this wasn't well received until last night. The advantages with this is that I can easily do the servicing myself, we can run our own group buys, the wagon has good load carrying (& towing) ability and if we get a MY96 then the parts will be interchangable... The disadvantages are the silly insurance the petrol costs, and it's another of the same thing, so there's no more fun to be had from swapping vehicles.

She's got no NCB, but has been on my insurance for 5 years and on her parents for many more. The S2K was only going to cost approx £1k PA to insure.

Anyone got any suggestions for alternative vehicles? 80s hot hatches aren't allowed either (Or I'd be building a 205 Mi16 as a bit of fun)

Thanks for reading
Old 15 January 2004, 02:27 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

206 Coup Cab? Holding their values well by all accounts
Old 15 January 2004, 02:53 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

Thanks - interesting idea. Have to look for a test drive. the insurance should be reasonable too.

I should add that we'll be sharing both cars, and we both enjoy driving, so the cars could do with not being too "chalk and cheese" in the performance stakes.
Old 15 January 2004, 02:58 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Better test drive the 206 CC 2.0 rather than the 1.6 then. 2.0 is nothing like as fast as the Scoob about 8sec to 60 with a 140 top end, but they are great fun to drive, you can throw them about something rotten and they do handle well, chassis is great.

Insurance may not be that cheap though. I had a 206 GTi before the Scoob and it cost me more to insure (mind you that was for 20K per year business mileage, I have cut that to 15K for the Scoob)
Old 15 January 2004, 03:00 PM
bits'n'pieces
Scooby Regular

What about this seriously moded ford ?

http://www.ogmac.co.uk/sidcup/makover.htm
Old 15 January 2004, 03:27 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

OllyK - I had a 309 before the Scoob. I'm glad to see Pugs aren't going down hill on the handling stakes. Nic does say that my old Pug had it in for her though, after the throttle cable stuck open once on the M3

Yes, the 2.0 would be a better bet if the insurance is OK. Sill, the S2k quote was good considering the facts, but saying that, statistics are a funny old game

B&P - LOL. The ford's a SIAL, but I'll let you off this once
Old 15 January 2004, 03:39 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Ouch - stuck throttle not nice!!

The 307 CC is nice as well, but they are still new so not going to much of a second hand market yet.

Seat Leon Cupra or Cupra R is nice and the Saab 93 Aero is nice as well if you want that open top feel. Again with the Saab you may have to look at an older one, but they are certainly safe and strong and reasonably nippy too.

Trending Topics

Old 15 January 2004, 03:50 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

I quite like the Leon Cupra, but didn't think they'd been around long enough to be 2nd hand "bargains"?

Keep the ideas coming

More RWD car suggestions would be appreciated. Although MkII MR2s are out on their looks (Nic prefers the new ones), the RX7 looks very good, but it's far too thirsty and expensive to keep on the road (The RX8 is too much of a financial risk) and the Porsche 944 is out too, on the grounds that it's a Porsche. Shame.

[Edited by dnb - 1/15/2004 3:56:56 PM]
Old 15 January 2004, 03:56 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Discovery V8 - Brilliant car!

It is difficult to choose which I enjoy driving best - and they totally different but both with astonishing performance

Mick
Old 15 January 2004, 03:58 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

True - just had a quick look at the SEAT web site - lucky to get a Cupra for under £16K, could get a new 206 CC for that! Mind that suggests the depreciation isn't too bad on the Leon!

Hmm what else? Ford - euck!

What about the VX220 or and Elise? Suspect the insurance side may be a problem again and certainly not practical.

Could look and an old porker, some good deals about on some of them and things like the 966 (think that's the one) are nippy too.

If anything else springs to mind...my misses is after a Cooper S if that helps!

Old 15 January 2004, 04:02 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

Dad's got a P plate Disco TDi, and a friend has a V8 Rangerover. Have to say that it's great fun playing in the fields with them
and the'd certainly be at home on the dirt tracks (aka main roads) that we have round here. I have my doubts how long the fun would last though.
Old 15 January 2004, 04:03 PM
kend
Scooby Regular

My wife drives a 206CC and very pleased. Performance ok but not stunning, it's the 2l GTI engine, but there is some extra weight from the motors and the roof. The 2 back seats are entirely imaginary, they may look like seats, but have no practical purpose whatsoever.
She feels a lot more secure in some of the dodgier areas of Birmingham with hard roof rather than soft, also much quieter when driving fast on motorway, esp when p*ssing down with rain.
They have a bit of a dodgy reputation reliability wise, but we've had no problems so far, also 20K service intervals which is nice. Her insurance (34, 2y ncd) is about £700 with me as named driver.
Old 15 January 2004, 04:08 PM
fivepint
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

MG!!! NNOOOOoooo

can you say "how much for a headgasket?"
in more than one language...
Old 15 January 2004, 04:18 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

5pint - I've done one rover head gasket + exhaust valves, hence I'm reluctant to let money be spent on buying an MG. (Head gasket set was under £100, so it wasn't that expensive - 2 coilpacks on a Scoob cost more but can be fitted much quicker...)

Besides, I'm told the T series turbo engine can be shoehorned into the TF...