Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WR1 - new Ltd Edition - Official Spec-C??

Search this Thread

Old 12 January 2004, 08:58 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Press release...

Subaru unveils special edition STi to celebrate rally win Subaru has chosen the ‘AUTOSPORT’ show to unveil a special edition Impreza WRX STi to celebrate Petter Solberg winning the Driver’s Title in the 2003 World Rally Championship.
On sale in the Spring and limited to 500 units, the ‘WR1’ – as it will be called – will feature a power upgrade to around 320 PS plus a host of technical and visual upgrades.
For example, the Impreza ‘WR1’ will feature a driver’s control centre-differential (DCCD) via a switch mounted next to the handbrake.
It means the torque distribution between front and rear wheels can be manually selected. This allows the choice, for example, between a sharper concerning turn-in or more stable straight-line running. The system defaults to ‘automatic’ mode whenever the ignition is restarted.
Also new for the’WR1’ are special, Prodrive-developed uprated springs and bump-stops with a 25 mm lower ride-height.
Other handling-enhancing features include 18 ins diameter P-FF7 (Prodrive Flow Forming seven-spoke) alloy wheels with Pirelli PZero tyres.
Public Relations Department, Subaru (UK) Limited, Ryder Street, West Bromwich, West Midlands, B70 0EJ. 0121 522 2000. www.subaru.co.uk
Externally, the new ‘WR1’ will be instantly recognisable thanks to its new Ice Blue Metallic paint plus driving lamps and a stainless steel mesh grille.
Interior changes include anthracite instead of blue suede-effect seats, a special gear ****, imaged carpet mats and a numbered tax disc holder.
Shared features with all Impreza WRX STi’s range from a six-speed gearbox to Brembo brakes and front and rear ‘Suretrac’ differentials.
The new Subaru Impreza STi ‘WR1’ will enter dealer showrooms in April costing £29,995 on-the-road.

Pictures on SUK website - Could be the Spec-C by another name?? anyone know??? not sure about colour, but at £30k, looks tempting if it is the 'C'
Old 12 January 2004, 09:11 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Doesn't sound like a 'C' to me - no mention of the twin-scroll turbo, equal length headers, weight reduction or IC waterspray bottle in the boot. Sounds more like a Euro STI with DCCD-A and PPP. Not that that's a bad thing, of course, but in keeping with tradition, the price remains steep. I wonder if it'll hold its value like the RB5 did?
Old 12 January 2004, 09:24 AM
TVR Gary
Scooby Regular

If its the one which was at the show, which I think it is the colour is PANTS ...some kind of silver blue which didnt suit the car at all. Car has 320 BHP on the power engineering rollers, didnt look much different to the standard STi to me other than the colour and the diff adjuster.
Not my cup of tea I must say. Give me a Spec C or Jap STi any day of the week