Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

STI V import or UK Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 09 January 2004, 10:29 PM
Si_Smudge
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all. New to this site, been enjoying it for a few weeks now. You are all mad! Will be looking a motor in about 4 weeks time and was gonna get an M3 Evo until a) I drove one and b) had a ride in an Impreza turbo with a decat and filter. Now I know I have to have a Scooby! The M3 just felt like any other BM 80% of the time.
I know I need a 4 door and was set on a classic standard turbo or hopefully a PPP'd etc. standard turbo but after looking on here and the SIDC site I am now considering an STI IV or V 4 door. Can anyone advise on the differences on the road between these models? Looking at the graphs on this site a UK standard turbo with a PPP and decat seems to have more low down torque than an STI V but the STI has more all-out power? Also are running costs much different for an import over a UK car?
Old 09 January 2004, 10:32 PM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
You are always going to be better off performance wise with a WRX STi, they are head and shoulders above the UK cars but on the other hand UK cars can be a lot cheaper to insure than an import, may be worth checking.
Old 09 January 2004, 10:35 PM
JohnnyR6
Scooby Regular

My m8 had a uk car albeit standard with just a magnex and my sti2 feels alot stronger everywhere. The sti also has a better engine for modding i believe (blueprinted, forge pistons, bigger intercooler, turbo etc all as standard) My sti costs about the same as my m8's uk car to run, slightly higher insurance and fuel bills. Parts are easy to get aswell.
Old 09 January 2004, 11:07 PM
Si_Smudge
Scooby Newbie

I did a quick quote on L & V and the insurance was about 30% more for an import sti. One thing on my mind is - will I have a case of wow! with a standard car for a few months and then get used to it and want more torque etc?
Old 09 January 2004, 11:28 PM
currymonster
Scooby Regular

I owned a uk turbo, good car, but a standard one isnt much quicker than your GTIs etc until your over 90mph (allegedly!). The STIV i now own is an amazing car as is my cousins STIV Which showed me I had to have one, Insurance is ok throught Norwich union Direct, Well theres my vote!

Cal
Old 09 January 2004, 11:31 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

yep depends on budget age etc etc if u want best of classic 4 doors then gota be type RA
SI
Old 09 January 2004, 11:37 PM
Si_Smudge
Scooby Newbie

What's the difference between a type RA and a 'normal' STI? Also anyone recommend good importers? I hear there are some not so good ones.

Trending Topics

Old 09 January 2004, 11:51 PM
sti-spec-a
Scooby Regular

Get the best of both worlds and buy a STI RA with all the gucci bits as standard

Cheers Grunt

[Edited by sti-spec-a - 1/9/2004 11:52:48 PM]
Old 10 January 2004, 12:02 AM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

RA is pretty stripped & raw out & out performance scoob as in RA stands for RACE ALTERED in theory general bumf on http://www.iwoc.co.uk/contents.html & http://www.sidc.co.uk/faq.htm as i recall
Importer wise TBH i dont know as there's so much of a saving on scoobs as there are the rarer cars but a renowned importer is http://www.neweraimports.com/ but many other reputable importers of scoobs such as http://www.litchfieldimports.co.uk/subaru/ but as i say many options init which is good for you
Si
Old 10 January 2004, 01:51 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

you will get bored with the uk pretty quickly and want to tune it up, this i dont really understand as you can buy a faster model to start with?