Sponsored by:

Dented rear wing, where to fix ?

Search this Thread

Old 09 January 2004, 08:47 PM
TonyNesta
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Just to top off my week, came out of work tonight to find a dent in my MY98 nearside rear wing. A woman had reversed into my car in the works car park, and left a note on the windscreen with her contact details. I suppose I should be grateful for small mercies, but I've had the car from new and never had any accidents or damage - I was parked in marked bay, why can't people just look where they're bloody going FFS !!!!

I've been in touch and she has agreed to make good the cost of repairs, either in cash or insurance.

The dent starts immediately behind the door and extends about 12 inches, with only very light scratching which is hardly noticeable, so I suppose I was lucky. I think it will be OK if it can be 'pulled out', but I'm wondering about the best way to get it sorted. I was thinking of maybe getting someone like Dentmaster to have a look in the first instance, would they give me a quote ? How do I get in touch ? Do they fix accident damage ?

Can anyone suggest how I go about getting this sorted ? I could just take it to a bodyshop, but their quote will be high, which will mean an insurance job, which will in turn mean a long time to get fixed, my own insurance being affected, and then her insurance company sending me to some cowboy cheap bodyshop to perform substandard work on the cheap.

I would prefer it if someone like Dentmaster could come out and fix it, and she could pay them, but I don't know if this is feasible or likely ?

Can anyone offer any advice or experience ?

Many Thanks,

Tony
Old 09 January 2004, 11:10 PM
ThrustSSC
Scooby Regular

A bodyshop should be just fine. The claim is on her insurance which means yours will not be affected. Also if she's admitted liability her insurers will pay out straight away. And you have the right to go to any bodyshop you like - they can't force their 'approved' (i.e. labour prices beated down to the wire) bodyshop on you. They will also pay for an equivalent courtesy car while yours is in being fixed.

This is why insurers only offer you a courtesy car at their 'approved' bodyshop. It's to get you to take their el cheapo place - and the Ford Ka you get is leased by the bodyshop for about £100 a month anyway. When my previous car (a BMW328i I'm embarassed to admit) had to go in for work, I found my local BMW dealership's bodyshop would happily loan me another BMW free of charge while it was in. Norwich Union's 'approved' bodyshop had an atrocious quality reputation, a huge backlog (it was an icy spell), and Ford Kas (and even they were in short supply).

First step for her insurers is to take a look at your car - this should be within a day or two. You tell them where you're taking it, and the rest is between them and the bodyshop - you just have to sign at the end to say you're happy with the work.

So in short, find a good bodyshop tomorrow that will give you a decent courtesy car and the whole lot will be a) on her insurers, b) quick, c) painless for you.
Old 10 January 2004, 11:41 AM
TonyNesta
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks Thrust, sounds like good advice.

Can anyone recommend a good bodyshop in the North West then, or should I just go to my local Subaru dealer ?

T