ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

painted side skirts

Search this Thread

Old 05 June 2000, 09:31 PM
James W
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Ive just delivered my scoob to the body shop to have the skirts painted (MY 98 Mica green)my concern is that may suffer from bad stone chipping & sandblasting after a bit of use

has anyone had this problem and what can be done about it.

apart from not painting them & fitting mud flaps.

cheers

Jim
Old 05 June 2000, 10:34 PM
Chunky
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I considered doing the same on my last scooby, but after weighing up the pro's and con's I decided that after a good few miles there would be a lot of stone chip damage,especially as nowadays road contractors seem to go a bit OTT with the old loose chippings. My last scooby was red mica and I reckon that would have shown chips pretty badly,however I now have a green mica like yourself and would have thought that if you do get any chips,they won't show up as badly. Front mudflaps will help for sure, but I don't think they look right somehow.Each to their own I suppose.

Old 05 June 2000, 11:26 PM
Hos
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi there,
I had my side sills, mirrors, and back sills done silver around 2 months ago. When i had it done the guy was very concerned about the rubber mud-flaps which are part of the sills? , He told me because they were rubber if they got knocked the paint would just rub off. Well, to date, the car looks absolutely amazing, no problems at all and i'm very happy with the overall job. I guess it jus depends who you take it to as to how good a service you will get? It took them a week and a half to do my car though.
Ian
Old 06 June 2000, 09:29 AM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Cool

Go for it...

I turned up to get my new MY99 last year, and had to raise merry-hell coz the f%%%%ng idiots had forgotten to do the colour coding (Knowing they'd had the car for weeks!). A simple visual check against the invoice, I ask you !!

L*****S in Worcester...If you were interested.

Anyhow - DBM, mirrors, door-handles, skirting, etc...No problems whatsoever in 15K+ miles.

Definitely looks better...
Old 06 June 2000, 12:00 PM
Gerg2
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

My car is Silver (the older bright silver) and the skirts have been painted for about a year. They do chip a bit after a fair while right behind the wheels. It doesnt bother me one bit as I just do minor respray work on it myself and the car looks far sportier with them done.