Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the Scoobynet 'For Sale' Section to be trusted?

Search this Thread

Old 04 January 2004, 05:33 PM
sulli
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Been looking in the Autotrader, and the cheapest MY98 Turbo is £8k, the cheapest MY99 is £9k! These look like standard cars, and the prices go up to over £9k for 98s, and £11k for 99s.

However, looking at the For Sale section here I could pick up a mint MY99 or 00 for £8k, with a few respectable mods too! Yet no ****** is buying them???

I have always gone by the Trader for price guides, and if that is a good indicator, someone should be snapping the hands off some the people sellling cars here - I know I would if I was in a position of buying at the moment - some great bargains to be had.

So what's going on? Someone explain it to me.
Old 04 January 2004, 05:41 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
because ppl on here will only buy something if is 3k under list.
Old 04 January 2004, 05:41 PM
Dave_A
Scooby Regular

Personally think that alot of people on these boards either already own an impreza, so aren't interested in buying a complete car (check out how quickly parts sell in comparison), or the people here who want to buy a car would prefer to go to a garage and purchase a car with some form of warrenty, even if its only 12 months worth.

Reading some of the posts on here about engines destroying themselves and the cost of things when they go wrong, its not surprising that most don't want to go private. Added to which, I'm sure most people would want to buy a standard car, even if they intend to do some work on upgrading performance, rather than buy something that has already been upgraded - a car with all the mods on it implies the owner is a keen driver, whereas a standard car may have been owned by mr sensible.

Dave
www.scoobyphotos.com
dave@scoobyphotos.com
Old 04 January 2004, 05:58 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

and dave is a **** which puts people off.

Old 04 January 2004, 06:00 PM
carterjohn
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

i bought my01 thru the for sale forum,no problems at all.

Old 04 January 2004, 06:10 PM
JFB
Scooby Regular

Wink

Well I bought my STI8PPP off the "For Sale" section on Scoobynet and as the seller was well known to the community, I felt comfortable dealing with the chap. I made a few enquiries too but having visited him at home, he seemed genuine and it worked out perfectly. I also picked up a very good deal IMHO with a number of aftermarket extras included so dealing with a fellow enthusiast saved me the cost of subsequently having to buy mods at a later date myself.

On the other hand, I had my wagon turbo on the for sale section for something like 8 weeks or so without a nibble. It sold through Autotrader in the end. I am selling the mods on this BBS and they seem to be moving albeit slowly.

IMHO, if you are fortunate enough to deal with a genuine enthusiast who spares no expense and there are quite a few on Scoobynet, I think you will pick up a better car than dealing through Autotrader. You will probably make a genuine friend too!

Just my tuppence worth.....

Jerome
Old 04 January 2004, 06:36 PM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Personally think that alot of people on these boards already own an Impreza
Spot on I would say.

My car is for sale at the moment and although well modified has been well maintained. Yes I am a keen driver but a least I also know how to maintain it, more so than Mr sensible.

Nathan..

Trending Topics

Old 04 January 2004, 06:48 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Also, bear in mind, that the ScoobyNet community always want something for nothing....

This is well known as the best place to pick up a bargain, but hte worst place to sell anything......

Says an awful lot about the people who frequent here (sadly. IMHO)

Dan

[Edited by ScoobyDoo555 - 1/4/2004 6:49:00 PM]
Old 04 January 2004, 07:13 PM
Marky-San
Scooby Regular

I boght my car from the 'For sale' section - along with alot of mods.

Never had a problem with any of the folks I've dealt with.
Old 04 January 2004, 07:15 PM
ethanrob
Scooby Regular

I have mine up for sale at the mo!
And i know where ya coming from mate,Yes its cheap so instantly people assume there is something wrong with it,I have received about ten emails about the car but no-one has progressed any further.
I would just like to add for the record that my car is up for sale for totally honest reasons and i dare say that so are all the other scoobs on the forum,

My car has gone on the for sale forum basically because i beleive it is worth a lot more then the silly trade-in values being offered.And to get the car i am after i need a quick sale or will miss out,One trade value i received was £5500,Now is it me or is this taking the P**S.

Sorry to alter the thread topic there but this is my genuine reason for selling my99 turbo cheap!
Old 04 January 2004, 07:55 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
Talking

It's Simple: Autotrader is full of dealers (loads of home based as well as dealerships) with over-inflated prices...and private sellers base their prices on what the dealers charge.

Stuff in the "for Sale" section never sells for 2 reasons; 1) as mentioned, most people here already have one

and 2) Nothing stops on page 1 long enough for anyone to see it. and will drop to page 4 within the same day! So it doesn't get the viewing audiance.

I wonder when the "promised" revised For Sale section will appear? Probably never - it'll probably get leached by the touts that lurk on there already anyway.....do a VIP check on some of them and you'll find that all they have done on this forum is sell stuff (also a handy hint to determine if they are a bonafied Scoobynetter )
Old 04 January 2004, 08:07 PM
Danny B
Scooby Regular

I bought mine from the for sale section last year, no problems with the car or the owner.
I personally think that if the car is to modified eg: http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...hreadid=286068 it will put buyers off.
De-cat exhaust, alloys, and maybe a remap are ok but when it comes to styling and interior mods you have to be carefull as then you begin to personalise your car you limit potential buyers to people with the same tastes as you.
I agree with the general view though, cars do tend to sell for a lot less on here than on Autotrader etc. Unfortunately once a few cars have been flogged for £2k under "the norm" people remember this and are very keen to point this out on some poors sods for sale thread and ruin his chances of getting what he sees as a fair price.
You have nothing to loose by advertising your car here, just be prepared to answer 20+ emails and get no replies.
Tony Burns sold his MY00 +PPP for £11,995 the other day so there is hope yet

[Edited by Danny B - 1/4/2004 8:09:16 PM]
Old 04 January 2004, 08:17 PM
sulli
Scooby Regular

I got mine from here too, and it was a gem of a find.
It did go in the trader too, but that was the day I viewed it IIRC, and I put a deposit down so I got it
The seller was a Scoobynet user, and was 100% genuine - the ideal person to buy from. He wasn't into modding though, and the car was totally standard, which was good. However, if you know what you are looking for, modded cars can be worth that little bit extra if the owner has done it properly.

I wonder whether those cars on Autotrader sell at those prices anyway??
As for preferring to buy from a dealer - that is something I would never do - don't trust them. All the dealers have done is bought private, added a big mark-up and sell on - what's the point?? the protection afforded when buying from a dealer isn't worth it, if you get a decent car - get an AA check done and you're sorted.
Old 04 January 2004, 08:21 PM
Gus M
Scooby Regular

There could also be a logistical issue with cars not selling as the likes of Autotrader is regionalised.
Old 04 January 2004, 08:40 PM
JohnnyR6
Scooby Regular

I got my sti off here and have had no regrets, i bought mine from here because most people on here are scoob enthusiasts and prob look after the car more than joe bloggs off the street.
Old 04 January 2004, 09:25 PM
easyrider
Scooby Regular

Smile

I sold my M3 on here in 2 weeks,brought my MY01 scoob (with all the body mods i wanted)off a bloke that used this forum(but i found the ad in autotrader)he never had any joy from the for sale forum.
Ive brought my last 3 cars privately,with no probs-its definately advisable to get a car check done if you dont know what youre looking for.
Also,if youre getting a scoob that is still within its manf. warranty then you wont have any probs,youll save £ks buying privately over getting it through a stealer--and you will get exactly the same warranty.

easy
Old 04 January 2004, 09:41 PM
elgordano
Scooby Regular

a so called 'standard' car is just a highly modified one that has all parts removed to hide the evidence !!

Gordo
Old 04 January 2004, 10:12 PM
The_Gza
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Bought and sold an Impreza on here - again, you've just got to be patient and do a bit of research. I'd have no hesitation in buying another one from someone on here, in fact I'd much rather that than some unknown in the 'Trader.
Old 04 January 2004, 10:54 PM
-=Buzz=-
Scooby Regular

same here - sold my MY96 and bought an MY01 on the for sale forum.

Oh, and JJ is right.. Dave_A is a **** ....
Old 04 January 2004, 11:46 PM
WRX Wannabe
Scooby Regular

I had my Classic up for sale but no offers

So i sold it back to the dealer for 1.5K more than i was asking

Have brought & sold other things through the forum and never had any problems
Old 04 January 2004, 11:54 PM
Trick
Scooby Regular

Ive had my car for sale for a couple of months now, both on here and in the trader.

I get loads of calls ranging from:

"How much for cash..." annoys the hell out of me
"What is yr lowest price u will accept.." for gods sake make me an offer!
"Want to part ex for a pug 307?" NO lol

as for the section on here, like people have said, it doesnt stay on long enough and most have already got a scooby....but you get some nice comments from people, which although doesnt guarantee me a sale, makes me feel better lol.