Sponsored by:

STI8 out of the box

Search this Thread

Old 23 December 2003, 08:07 PM
Yorkie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

What is the STI8 like as standard? I have seen the in gear performance figures on the Prodrive site and the car looks pretty flexible to me (30-50 in 4th 5.6s compared to 7.8s for a std WRX ok, I know its a 6 speed). Is an STI8 "laggy" below 3000 rpm, the figures don't seem to suggest this. How would an STI8 compare to my MY02 PPP for in gear flexibility?
Old 23 December 2003, 10:40 PM
barneyrubble
Scooby Regular

I think they are laggy from other post's I've read - people say they need PPP to be the car you would expect it to be out of the box (i've only driven STi8 PPP). People also say that the WRX PPP is more resonsive and pulls from lower in the revs and is more "flexible" to drive quickly, I found this over the STiPPP which pulls really well but from a bit higher in the revs.

why not get some test drive's. I bought a WRX 03 PPP and love it because it's a great all rounder. The STi is technically a better car but more full on - if you can't afford STi and PPP probably WRX and PPP is a far better option for less money??
Old 23 December 2003, 10:44 PM
barneyrubble
Scooby Regular

Oh by the way others also say that the Prodrive Spring kit is also a must on the Sti8 as it's a very bumpy/choppy ride as standard (the main reason I opted for WRX PPP) so that's a total of nearly 29k with the RRP of an Sti8 pluss PPP and springs - but I guess you would get a deal at this time of year?

barney
Old 23 December 2003, 10:45 PM
ThrustSSC
Scooby Regular

Yes, it is laggy below 3500, but you get used to that and work the car accordingly. I put 11k on mine before PPPing it and had a lot of fun. That said, when I put the PPP on I realised just how much I had been working to make the car work.

Be warned, though, PPP on STi8 makes it much smoother in the power delivery. That wild kick in the back at 3500 or so rpm is gone, replaced by a much smoother build up from 3000.
Old 23 December 2003, 11:03 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

My MY03 STI 8 PPP is extremely laggy at low revs.

Don't get me wrong, if you want it to move quick then all you need to do is dial in the appropriate revs as mentioned above. Under these circumstances, not many cars will get off the line as quick with almost no lag.

However, if the revs are low and you floor it, then it can be a case of crossing your fingers and counting to 10 before it kicks in!

I've had one or two scary encounters with the "lag", like when I was pulling onto a roundabout at a quite sedate speed with very low revs, and a car appears on my right, coming round the roundabout fairly quickly... I put the foot down to get out of his way and allow him as much room as possible, but the car doesn't go anywhere!

Quite unsettling when a car is coming straight at you and your "performance" car can't get its a$$ out of the road!!

I think the only fail-safe way of avoiding serious lag, is to dump the clutch at 5,000 rpm each time you pull away!

Once the revs are high there is much less lag between gears etc.
Old 23 December 2003, 11:28 PM
Dazza's-STi
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Yep it is quite laggy but this is masked by the fact your so used to the power once its reving, that its seems silly slow lower down. When in fact its not that far removed from a normal car...
Its just that you almost expect the same blast of power all the time! Mine is fine around 2 to 2.5k and then thiers no problem in any gear, 6th on the mway is 2600-2700 rpm and if you queeze it it realy does go.
Old 24 December 2003, 07:29 PM
Ady 1
Scooby Regular

Hi Yorkie and a merry Xmas to you. I seem to have the only STi8 on God's earth that hasn't been Prod..... er sorry ppp'd so is as totally standard. Having owned an STi Type R for the last 4 years it does seem to be a bit laggy but having said that the 2 cars are completely different animals. I am well pleased with my standard STi8 in both performance and handling and have not yet experienced ALL the little quirks that people keep on moaning about ( I think these people must be budding Shumachers or something cos I can't fault it). Before anyone replys that I drive it like an old fart which I am (47) compared to many on here, actually I like to press on a bit and the scoob does everything for me so I am well pleased. Can't wait for the slaggings to start. See ya Later M8.

Totally standard Ady.