Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are MY00 Fogs really this sh*t?

Search this Thread

Old 10 December 2003, 09:59 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having had our second foggy session this week in the Midlands, I put the front fogs on and well bu**er me, couldn't really tell any difference. Seem to light up about 2 foot of the road in front and 3 foot to the sides. Are they really this cr*p or are they mis-aligned?

Used to have front fogs on the Pug and they were brilliant!
Old 10 December 2003, 10:02 AM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Location: I'm still around in deepest Essex, now with a Fiesta ST-2
Get them changed for driving lights , well worth the cost it's just like daylight !

Dave
Old 10 December 2003, 10:04 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
Talking

Probably miss-aligned, I don't think they ever get checked (even for MOT)

Which is why half the cvnts who drive with them on in clear weather blind you
Old 10 December 2003, 10:08 AM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Location: I'm still around in deepest Essex, now with a Fiesta ST-2
Which is why half the cvnts who drive with them on in clear weather blind you
Well said that man
Old 10 December 2003, 10:14 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

I concur - fogs in non foggy weather really pi55 me off.

Have been pondering on the driving light issue and posted on it a few days back. Still pondering but may well go for the Morettes with HID conversion. The full beam is pretty grotty but the dipped is abysmal!

Fogs are kinda useful (if they work) for my journeys, country roads with no cats eyes or white lines. Quite a few rivers around so fog is a regular occurence at this time of the year. Being able to pick up the verges with the fogs in grotty weather is useful.
Old 10 December 2003, 10:18 AM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Fogs are only designed to pick out the close and to the side areas, they arnt for straight ahead performance as you are suposed to slow down when its foggy!

Driving light conversions are well worthwhile, especially on the clasic.
Old 10 December 2003, 10:27 AM
nom
Scooby Senior

Have to say - I thought that fogs were meant to light up about 2 foot in front & 3 foot to the side... they're for fog!
Are you sure the Pug didn't have driving lights rather than fogs? My ancient 205 had the most fantastic driving lights (but no fogs).

?
Old 10 December 2003, 11:46 AM
pbee
Scooby Regular

yeah my 405 LM had driving lights as opposed to fogs they are like chalk and cheese.

could the fogs not be modified with different bulbs / relfectors to make them more like driving lights ??.

Also how easy would it be to turn on the fog / drivers when switching the headlights to full beam and off again when dipped ?.

Peter
Old 10 December 2003, 12:26 PM
matt.bowey
Scooby Regular

Replace the fogs with PIAA driving lamps........the best thing I ever did to my car!!! Should have done it on day 1.
Old 10 December 2003, 12:37 PM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I love my PIAAs (once they're set-up) - fabulous lighting performance. And yes, they do switch on/off with main beam, and can be disabled with the original front fogs switch.
Old 10 December 2003, 12:47 PM
pjmc
Scooby Regular

Got to agree with mungo i used my PIAA's this morning for the first time in ages and the difference is superb, really turns night to day... tho the prob with the original post is the fogs may be dirty .. i have to spray my front beams every 5 miles or so in this kinda sh1tty weather to get some of the dirt off them.
Paul
Old 10 December 2003, 12:50 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

nom

The Pug 206 GTi has twin main beams in a single head light unit and separate fogs to the side under the bumper.

I was not expecting driving light ability, but a bit more than 2 or 3 foot, can hardly see the illumination beyond the bonet, and I know you are supposed to slow down in the fog, but I would almost be better off going backwards.

The Pug used to light up the edges of the road and well on to the verges for 10-20 foot ahead, directed downwards to avoid glare, which is just what you need in fog.

Think I may have to have a play with the adjusters and see if I can improve things.
Old 10 December 2003, 12:52 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

And to the rest with the PIAA conversion suggestions, yes I agree the standard main lights are pants, but PIAA's ain't gonna help much in the fog unless I am planning on giving myself a suntan
Old 10 December 2003, 12:55 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

The adjusters might help
I once had to 'adjust' mine with a mallet to the area behind the fogs - but not because the fogs were wrong, they were just rubbing & squeeking. Lots. Sounded like a Ford going over speed-bumps...
Old 10 December 2003, 04:52 PM
Paul_M
Scooby Regular

Also how easy would it be to turn on the fog / drivers when switching the headlights to full beam and off again when dipped ?.
I have my fogs wired up to the main beam wire via a relay... this way whenever I switch on main beam the fogs come on as well. I can still switch on the fogs with sidelights/dipped as normal using the switch.

Reason I done this is because the standard H4 lights on the classic are pathetic on full beam, the dipped beam element goes off so you get a big void of no light just in front of the car (bit usually illuminated by dipped beam). So the fogs fill in the void close to the car while the main beam gives illumination in the distance. Still crap compared to having decent lights but noticably better than standard.

With driving lights they should be re-wired to come on with main beam automatically, and should not be able to be switched on without main beam like fogs can.

Olly if you go for morettes I'd be interested in your standard lights if you wanna sell . Mine has the frosted lights which are even worse than the clear ones.
Old 10 December 2003, 04:57 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Paul_M

I'll keep that in mind, but my plan at the moment is to keep the original stuff so that when I come to sell it I still have the bits to put it back to original condition.

Old 10 December 2003, 05:50 PM
Ian E
Scooby Regular

Don't tend to use the fogs on my MY00 much but find them ok in fog

Its well worth upgrading the headlight bulbs. I initially tried
100W bulbs but they kept blowing. I am now on Philips Vision Plus bought from here:- http://www.speeding.co.uk/acatalog/Products_Ice_Blue_Bulbs_111.html

£17.50 delivered - well worth the money - big improvement over standard and legal as well

Cheers,

Ian.
Old 10 December 2003, 08:33 PM
Paul_M
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

No worries mate, drop me a mail if you do decide to sell at some point in future.