Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Minor rear bumper damage

Search this Thread

Old 09 December 2003, 10:51 AM
dlharris
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On Wednesday last week, while stopping at a zebra crossing, the girl in the car behind went into the back of my car (MY02 WRX Sti). She was very apolgetic and admitted it was her fault. The following day I called my insurance to get it logged. I then had a call from the girls dad asking me to get a quote and if possible for it not to go through insurance as her excess is £250. I called my brother who works at a garage and he was able to get me a quote of £110+vat for a new bumper and £200+vat for it to be painted. My bumper has scratched paintwork but there's also a slight impression left from her bumper, which I think will be noticable if it's just resprayed. I've given the girls dad the quote of £364 all in, but now they want me to go out with them to get another quote this weekend. They seem to think a quick respray is all that's required. Am I being unreasonable in asking for a new bumper? If it's fixed and resprayed, how will they fix it? with some sort of filler ?

Any help/advice will be much appreciated

Dave
Old 09 December 2003, 10:55 AM
adpd
Scooby Regular

You are not being unreasonable...

You want the car to be in the same condition as it was 10 seconds before it was hit.

Get a new bumper and get it sprayed, so it is the same as it once was.

Do not allow them to get away with just a respray if you feel you will be able to notice where the car was hit. It will always bug you otherwise.

Being unreasonable would be claiming you suffered whiplash
Old 09 December 2003, 11:49 AM
wanted
Scooby Regular

The bumper would be plasti-welded, and if the body shop are any good then you wouldn't know the difference.
However, the quote you have got for the bumper seems very reasonable, and depending on labour charges might work out cheaper than a repair.
Old 09 December 2003, 11:49 AM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Tell them its new bumper or its insurance. Do NOT compromise it wasn't your fault!!!

Andy
Old 09 December 2003, 11:56 AM
smb1
Scooby Regular

Call me if u like, but from the stories i've heard, if it was you into the back of her....oo er! then she'd probably put it through insurance and get £1500 for whiplash and **** up your insurance.....that's the society we live in these days.
Old 09 December 2003, 12:34 PM
dlharris
Scooby Regular

thanks for the replies. As I said, my brother works in a garage so he's able to get me parts at cost price (usually). The only problem with going through insurance is that I'll have to pay an excess, then my insurance company will claim it from the girls insurance. Not the sort of thing you need at this time of the year.
Old 09 December 2003, 12:51 PM
Scoobydick
Scooby Regular

There is no right or wrong answer but if the shoe was on the other foot you might come on here and post.....

Really gutted, not paying attention this morning, nudged some guy in the back. Anyway I barely touched him, just a few scratches to the back bumper that Chipsaway would have absolutely perfect for about £90. This guy is looking for a whole new bumper and complete respray. Is he having a laugh?

anyway people have such different perspectives on these things...just go through the insurance, it is likely to be hassle otherwise.

[Edited by Scoobydick - 12/9/2003 12:53:31 PM]