Early Legacy Turbo information

Search this Thread

Old 08 December 2003, 12:44 PM
gtirpad
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi,

I was hoping someone here may be able to help with some general info about early Legacy's. I have a rwd Skyline at the moment and my wife is pregnant so I will be needing something more practical but want something with a bit of poke still... it seems that an early 90's Legacy may fit the bill.

So, I would be wanting a turbo model (of course), preferably a wagon. I have seen them advertised as RS, 4 cam, Turbo.. are there any differences or are they different names for the same car? What sort of power & weight are they as std and any idea on performance figures? Are the engines basically Impreza turbo engines and therefore quite tunable? Is there anything that I should be wary of?

Any information would be greatly appreciated, I cannot seem to find an independent web resource for Legacy's. BTW, I cannot afford an Impreza Sportwagon, so please do not suggest this!!

Cheers,
Pad
Old 08 December 2003, 12:57 PM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

they are all 4 cam turbos

there is a twin turbo as well but i think they are mostly/all autos
Old 08 December 2003, 01:08 PM
Gordon Askwith
Scooby Newbie

Hi - they're all basically the same car - minor changes on different model years. I ran a J reg estate for many years (80,000 miles or so) and the car was very relaible. The UK models are all single Turbo with a quoted hp of 197 - performance similar to something like a Sierra Cosworth but because they look very "normal" they don't get nicked ! Only problem I ever had was with sticking front calipers leading to warped discs - the brakes are not the cars best feature. I replaced mine earlier this year (old one available £950 and it's yours !) with a GT-B. Although this is undoubtably a better car, I miss the mid range torque of the old car.

Gordon
Old 08 December 2003, 01:18 PM
gtirpad
Scooby Newbie

Cheers for that...

Gordon, where are you? Realistically though, I was maybe looking at a lower mileage on for about £2K... saw a nice one in the autotrader this week.

Need to sell the 'line first though

Cheers,
Pad
Old 08 December 2003, 01:26 PM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

We tried out a friend's Legacy Turbo, and we liked it so much we bought one to complement our Impreza Turbo!

Not quite as quick off the mark as an Impreza, but bloody quick all the same and great on boost from 70-100mph, etc.

We've upgraded ours with MY00 Impreza 16" wheels and fitted MY01 Impreza front discs and four pot calipers to improve braking. Had a custom exhaust back-box fitted too.

(Would show a pic but can't find one in my on-line files)

Squizz,
Old 08 December 2003, 01:45 PM
magnet
Scooby Regular

Ive got the saloon 93 k.

Everyone thinks its a Rover!
Ive had sticking calipers - replaced them.
fule lines burst - metal corrosion on the fuel lines by the passenger back wheel.
Thermostat went.
header tank leaked - replaced
The previous owner has tappet problems - heads were replaced with Impreza heads.
electric ariels break easily - mines never worked.
sunroofs leak - but mine doesnt - apparently you clean the seals and AOK!
I have a rocker cover gasket leaking oil on the headers - stinks - a job im yet to do.
Syncros in the gearbox are starting to wear - redline it in 1st gear, then see if it crunches into second.

Appart form all that I wouldnt change it for another car, except a Black Impreza! but that wouldnt last 5 mins parked around here!

Old 08 December 2003, 05:17 PM
gtirpad
Scooby Newbie

Cheers all, very helpful. Better start having a look about then...

CHeers,
Pad