ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

The Knowledge

Search this Thread

Old 03 December 2003, 01:22 PM
Rasher
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

I recently e mailed Evo Magazine and asked the question why is the S202 not featured in this section when a lot of other imported Imprezas are past and present are, I received this reply

Hi, Nigel, we'll look into it. The problem is (as your e mail points out) that we list lots of Imprezas in the Knowledge. There is no denying that the S202 is one of the best we've driven but it's place has been filled by the Spec C (cheaper but just as brilliant and readily available).If you can persaude me that the S202 is significantly different/superior to the Spec C we'll put it in!
Best regards,
Jethro
If you think that I am barking up the wrong tree about trying to get the S202 included please say so.
There are alot of very knowledgable people out on Scoobynet, so if you have any valid points that might help my cause please let me have them.

This is just a bit of fun on my behalf so lets not turn this into a my cars better than your car thread please

many thanks

Nige
Old 04 December 2003, 06:38 AM
Rasher
Scooby Regular

anyone??
Old 04 December 2003, 07:06 AM
marklemac
Scooby Regular

Location: Southampton*** MY02 STi, Black/Blue Mica Prodrive Style, mildly modded :) :). ***
Well I'm glad you got a reply.

I mailed them before about the knowledge and the fact the the 'times' for the STi8 PPP they have in there are slower than the WRX PPP. I think this is becasue the times in bold are ones they have tested themselves.

I asked why they hadn't bothered to test the STi PPP even though they had one as a long term car.....

No repsonse...

Oh, and yes I agree, the S202 should be in the list, without any others being removed..
Old 04 December 2003, 09:49 AM
Rasher
Scooby Regular

thanks for that mate, it took a couple of persistant E mails to get a reply.
I think changing their minds might be difficult though
Old 04 December 2003, 11:36 AM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

You can't help but see their point. With the MY03 Spec C already there, what's the point of listing the S202 as a separate entry (which is, lest we forget, simply a limited version of the MY02 Spec C)?

If you're going to argue for them to include the 202, you'd also have to argue for them to include the most extreme version of every Impreza, Evo, Mondeo or whatever from each and every model year , which obviously isn't practical and would make the list both unwieldy and diluted. They've got to draw a line somewhere...

The point about persuading them that the S202 is significantly different/superior to the MY03 Spec C is the key. You can't do this, because it's neither significantly different nor superior. It's a slightly older version of the same concept, no more or less. A great car, sure, but worthy of inclusion in its own right? Probably not.
Old 04 December 2003, 01:42 PM
Devil Dog
Scooby Newbie

The point you make Grease is a very valid one. However, what doesn’t seem right here is that they happily feature a UK STi & WRX STi, which to all intents and purposes are the same car, RB5 & Standard Turbo, again bar a couple of bells and whistles are the same car, UK300 (fancy Dan none event version), P1 & 22B which are both limited build specials.

What should probably be used as a guide here is that readers use the knowledge to assess whether or not a particular car is the one they should or shouldn’t buy & the magazine are giving a ‘snap shot’ of the cars capabilities to the reader.
If a particular Model is available to buy in this country (import or not) it should be included to give all petrol heads information that is useful when comparing them.

The Evo listings for instance contradict their argument. A 6 RS Sprint was superseded by the 7 RS Sprint yet both are listed

Looking at it another way, cars that they themselves have Road Tested/Driven, SHOULD be summarised in the Knowledge - which qualifies this car for an entry

I say yes it should be included

[Edited by Devil Dog - 12/4/2003 1:46:08 PM]
Old 04 December 2003, 02:07 PM
Rasher
Scooby Regular

thanks for the comments lads.
Reding between the lines of previous e mails that I have received it might have just been an oversight on Evo part at the time not to include the S202.
They therefore now feel that you cannot put an outdated model into the magazine now the the latest incarnation has been produced.
But IMHO this car is the very essence of Evoness