Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Just while we're on the topic of Pugs

Search this Thread

Old 08 January 2001, 02:06 PM
IntegraR
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know this is the wrong place to ask, so sorry, and move it if you have to.
My girlfriend has a Pug 106 1.1, 1997 model, and in this cold weather, makes a loud screaching noise when pulling away.
Now, in my limited knowledge, I would say its the fan belt slipping, but is there anything else it could be?
It stops once moving properly, but is damn annoying. I know this isnt a Pug forum, but the peeps in here do seem to have a lot of knowledge about cars, so if you can help, thanks.
Also, once diagnosed, how can I fix it?
Gray
Old 08 January 2001, 02:14 PM
Silver Surfer
Scooby Regular

Sounds like a fan belt to me, open the bonnet and see if it is a bit too slack. I think there should be an inch or so of movement only.

Hope this helps

Old 08 January 2001, 02:45 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

It's probably your girlie screaming relief at getting away from the honda. Other than that it is most likely to be fanbelt, brakes (handbrake binding) or clutch. I'm assuming from your post you know how to check the fan belt. Power-hose under the arches and wheels to sort the brakes. Try a couple of best 0-60 times to sort the clutch. (The noise is caused by the stuff they use in clutches since asbestos was banned. Slipping the clutch a bit with a few revs will clean up the plates.) If none of these work, also check for cats sleeping in the engine compartment (cold weather - warm place - don't laugh... I killed my neighbours moggie a few weks ago by the very same practice)
Old 08 January 2001, 02:57 PM
McMiata Man
Scooby Regular

Sounds like a sqeaky fanny to me. Here's a couple of solutions if you're a student...

Tighten up the belt or...
Rub some talcom powder along the edges of the belt or...
rub the edges of the belt (while it's moving) with a rough stick or I find the grippy end of a 3/8 ratchet quite usefull.

These methods are only a temporary solution and the last one is positively dangerous but if the Giro is still in the post then it could be a worthwile solution.

P.S. if you lose your hands while attempting any of the above, don't write to me
Old 08 January 2001, 03:04 PM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

My wife's Punto does the same -- screeches between 2 & 3K rpm when cold. Once its warm it stops. I've had my local mechanic -- who I trust -- replace the alternator belt and check the cambelt, and it still does it. I reckon its just the choice of materials, etc
Old 08 January 2001, 03:08 PM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

FastBloke -- I nearly did the same to my neighbour's mog. Couple of mornings recently the car's had a smell of cat's **** when the heater's just warming up, and I figured the local cats had been getting the warmth when I park. The other day I got in, fired up and moved off to spot this grey blur out of the corner of my eye -- neighbour's cat sprinting from rapidly approaching wheel ,...
Old 08 January 2001, 03:34 PM
IntegraR
Scooby Regular

Thanks all, Ill give all sugestions a try.
McMiata, if I lose my hands, I wouldnt be able to write to you, so after pointing my layers to this post, Id get them to do it
fast bloke, screaming to get away from the Honda? ha, dont think so, now if you had said screaming in the back of the Honda, than yes, I would agree, 11 inches scares a lot of girls
(okay, okay, so 11 is a guess, its like fishing, you're supposed to exagerate )
Well, thanks again all, and please lets try not to kill any more cats, Vets in Practice would not be impressed.
Old 08 January 2001, 08:38 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Wink

No problem with cats...thanks to Mr Croney's luvverly decatted exhaust
Old 09 January 2001, 12:59 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hey IntegraR,
I know your girlfriend M8, and if what she describes is 11 inches then I'd be well impressed to see how your 40 foot long Integra goes round corners
Old 09 January 2001, 12:57 PM
Kevin Greeley
Scooby Regular

If your battery is on the way out and it's just been given a thrashing starting a cold engine, the Alternator can scream like a knackered old water pump whilst it tries to recharge the battery.

After 30 seconds or so, it'll go quiet again.

Only solution is a new battery if this is the case.

HTH

Kevin.
Old 09 January 2001, 01:23 PM
IntegraR
Scooby Regular

Dammit!!! I told her not to say anything!! After she stopped laughing, I made her promise not to mention it to anyone, especially not that dodgy "fast bloke" geezer, but now look!
Well fast bloke, I hope you're happy, my reputation is in tatters, she warned me you seemed rather jealous when she mentioned my size, but I never expected you to stoop this low.
If you would just be patient, one day it will grow, and you will be able to find it without the help of a telescope and a GPS Satellite, and then the jealousy will pass