Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

insurnace, subaru, tsl

Search this Thread

Old 02 December 2003, 02:33 PM
hybwrx2002
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Right, I've been hunting around for a replacement backbox for my wrx. All I really want is the flat 4 burble. Not after any performance gains as my insurance wants an extra £554.23 in a 10% hike bracket.

Phoned up subaru (tiley,bristol) asked them what backbox's they did and what would happen to my warranty which runs out in 2005. They said as long as it was Prodrive it'd be fine, anything else my car would be VOID of warranty. Sounded a bit harsh, as on my focus, a full replacement exhaust only voided the exhaust warranty.

So thinking ahead, I rang TSL to see what exhausts they did and what type of fitting. Told me they were all flange fitting, so in theory, come service time or warranty issue, i could whip the new backbox off, and stick on the standard one. Hoorah! Will this work? Or will the backbox end up being a pain to take on/off everytime i want to take my car to the garage.

TSL also told me that what Subaru told me is a load of tosh and illegal, something to do with the "block exemption" law? That if the replacement part is of equal or better quality there's no reason why it should void the warranty. Then went on to say that TSL's exhaust ss is 1.5thick, and prodrive is 1.2, so it's better.

Does this all sound right? I don't want to go and stick a backbox on only to find out that my warranty is void, but i really want that flat 4 burbrblrbrburblrbl

Old 02 December 2003, 03:06 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Talking

Stick it on Mate, if you look, I reckon 8 outta 10 scoobs has some sort of exhaust modification. The dealer was just trying to scare you into buying one of thier prodrive back boxes.

Quick note, I promise you that it won't stop at the exhaust

Mikey
Old 02 December 2003, 03:17 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

My dealer said i can change the exhaust as long as i don't expect them to cover the bits i put on...

Andy
Old 02 December 2003, 04:38 PM
DaveR
Scooby Regular

...TSL also do a great GrpN twin-pipe backbox which looks a little like the original (although both pipes are actually larger in diameter). I would bet from sight noone would notice unless they were specifically checking.......

I've got one and it produces a fabulous dugga-dugga burbling noise as well as being free flowing
check out their website, at the bottom of the exhaust section

DaveR
Old 02 December 2003, 04:59 PM
snowcrash
Scooby Regular

people have bought (and had fitted by em) "hayward & scott" backbox's from Tileys ..