Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Bye bye Scoobynet

Search this Thread

Old 21 November 2003, 02:13 PM
Ian236
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After owning my first scooby since new ( 02 STI type UK ) I am sadly saying goodbye to the world of scoobys after the car was written off - I have mixed feelings regarding ownership, i have never had so much fun in such a powerful car and like most people would drive just round the corner so that I could have a go in it.

It was treated like a baby since I got it with 6 miles on the clock but unfortunatelty due to jealousy by one of my neighbours had to have six panels painted when only two months old, the engine failed after 8,300 miles but the dealer was fantastic, I shall certainly miss the friendliness of them - they treated you like you were a real person and not some job sheet - excellent!

Sadly with only 11,000 miles on the clock it has been written off.

I will not miss the trips to the Shell garage to fill up with Optimax, I never ever got the MPG anywhere near 20, nor the constant complaining of my wife about the appalling suspension, I guess it is worse for the passenger due to the camber of the road and the fact that they are not involved in driving, nor will I miss watching over my shoulder when parking it in case someone was going to jump out and attempt a robbery - there have been a lot around these parts!

But overall I wish that I was in the same position that I was in 5 mins before I had the crash - with the car as it was.

I wont be getting another one but have thoroughly enjoyed being a member of an exclusive club whilst I had it - the admiring looks and comments make you feel very proud dont they?

So farewell - I am sure I will come back to look at the site from time to time as it has been a real help in the past - I have chatted to many over the past 18 months.

Ian
Old 21 November 2003, 02:17 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

A fond farewell my friend! hope you don't feel to bad mate'
dave
Old 21 November 2003, 02:17 PM
Gav
Scooby Regular

Talking

hope to see you soon on here again.

best of luck with your new car..

gav..
Old 21 November 2003, 02:19 PM
minty
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Fair play ian, you will have to let us know what you replace it with.

Chris.
Old 21 November 2003, 02:23 PM
Danny B
Scooby Regular

See you in Other Marques
Old 21 November 2003, 02:23 PM
brett555
Scooby Regular

Why do you have to leave scoobynet though ? Its more of a community with people owning all sorts of cars . plenty of people on here dont own a scooby ... i myself for one .

i just like the board ........

brett
Old 21 November 2003, 03:08 PM
n one
Scooby Regular

Wink

Thats a shame Ian, you dont have to leave SN though, like Brett said, so stick around. I too have those jelous neigbour types but what can you do, so I`ll have to put up with it.
Old 21 November 2003, 04:43 PM
AudiMan
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

From one Ian to another,
Understand all you say, the paranoia of ownership, the wallet emptying trips to the Shell garage, and the bent ear from passengers about ride quality. I experience all of these, and some days I just think is it all worth it ? but then I get in turn the key listen to that deep burble and then experience the shove in the back...and the negative thoughts are put away again.
A small part of me thinks you might be back, Scooby ownership is different to any (most) other cars,it's like an exclusive club.
And as mentioned by others, even if you have a break from them this board doesn't require you to own one to comment.
Best of luck with whatever you buy.

Ian..
Old 21 November 2003, 04:58 PM
6 pot
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Take it from me, you will have another, when my MY98 was trashed by some a55hole (13/02/00) I had it repaired but didn't want it back, since then I have had a succesion of other cars Zaffira Turbo, Astra Turbo ( This is now the wifes car)3.2 Vectra even tried a forester turbo, but nothing and I can't put that across as strongly as I would like, comes close to the ownership of an impreza yes they eat tyres like no tomorrow, yes they do 15mpg but nothing sounds quite like the turning of the key and that flat 4 rumble, in fact sitting here at my desk writing this has made me realise how much I love the impreza experiance, so I am now going to leave the office and have a good thrash along the country lanes, believe me you will miss it when its gone.

[Edited by 6 pot - 11/21/2003 5:01:22 PM]
Old 21 November 2003, 05:45 PM
trigot
Scooby Newbie

if the truth be told,,no one likes the visits to the petrol pump,,i only like going to wash my car,,lol,,the most annoying thing i feel with scoobs is the constant worry on when u wil be the next theft victim,,,but if u had a cossie,,or any other top car,,would u still fee para about thefe,,u bet,,some scumbags just live to take others things away from them
Old 24 November 2003, 04:51 PM
Ian236
Scooby Regular

Hi all

Thanks for the posts - I probably wrote the peice in haste as I had just found out that my pride and joy was no more - a horrible feeling!

I have been back on the site every day since, I think i,m addicted. I still cant believe I havent got the car - just all the hassle of sorting out the insurance ( Liverpool Victoria who have been fine ) and the outstanding finance.

I suppose if I got a really good deal on an STI8 i might, just might think of getting another one - although it may be quickly followed by a divorce setlement to sort out!

I have thought of altenatives but can not come up with anything that would cost so much in so little space of time, although maybe a small house and another three children might compare - but I wouldnt get the same satisfaction washing and thrashing them

Evo7, Cerbera, XK8, 993 or Espirit come and go in my thoughts but I am seeing where I stand money wise before committing to anything as I didnt tell my wife when I bought the STI7 and it did not go down too well when she saw it - I told her it looked a bit like a Mercedes only in blue - hey shes used to me fibbing a bit.

Thanks again for your posts.

Ian
Old 24 November 2003, 05:04 PM
kelvin
Scooby Regular

I told her it looked a bit like a Mercedes only in blue

Funniest thing I've read in ages!

K.
Old 24 November 2003, 08:47 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Wink

Cerbera
Mate, if you think Scoobies eat tyres and fuel then don't get a Cerb
Old 24 November 2003, 09:09 PM
pilkster
Scooby Regular

Why not buy a sport, there very popular!! Sorry to hear about the scoob m8y. Times the greatest healer, you'll own another soon enough..