Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

type R performance figures

Search this Thread

Old 17 November 2003, 08:59 PM
BUDSY
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can anyone tell me the standard performance figures for my 98 sti 4 type r i have asked many people and they all have a diferent set of figures to tell.what i am after is:-
0-60
1/4 mile
top out
bhp
Old 18 November 2003, 06:58 PM
Ady 1
Scooby Regular

Hi Budsy, I have just parted company with my STi 4 Type R and mine was a 98 model. Mine was modded quite a bit but I believe the standard figure for the 0-60 dash are around 4.3 secs, this is because you have a pukka group N gearbox in it and the ratios are more geared for acceleration than for top end however I had 150 showing on my clock (on an airfield of couse officer) and no doubt yours will do this as well. As for the 1/4 mile I'm not really sure. Just a word of caution though and not wanting to spoil your thunder but my engine decided to detonate itself a while ago and melt a few pistons in the process, I was told (by Autospotif)this was because the ECU couldn't cope with the fueling octane so be careful as mine let go at full chat and it was a bit scary. I now own an STi Type UK which I am currently running in (can't wait). Hope I have been of some help, enjoy your scooby.

Ady
Old 18 November 2003, 07:17 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

What was the problem with the fuelling octane then?
Old 18 November 2003, 07:28 PM
Ady 1
Scooby Regular

Not really sure, the boffins at Autosportif confused the hell out of me but said because the car was tuned to run on 100 Ron fuel and I was sat for a while at ful chat (trying to catch a fellow scoob owner)that the fuel rating I was using at the time (97 Ron super U) caused the engine to detonate, it also buggered up the crank as well. The rebuild was about 3,500 big ones all together as I had the blocks bored and cossie pistons as a replacement fitment to the Subaru ones. I must also say though that the car had been fitted with a super chip (piggyback) by the previous owner and they also said that this could have contributed as well as it was not the best way to hike the power up. Does any of this make sense to you?

ady
Old 18 November 2003, 08:28 PM
Dan_Pulsar
Scooby Newbie

hi Ady

im in that boat now....melted my piston 2 on my 98 type r....****ter..ive opted for a new short engine...gona be costing the 3k mark like...like wise it happened after the top speed challenge 143 mph (of the main road of course)
i read in the japanese mag that they do 0-60 in 4.3 and top speed of 140k....not bad...i loved mine till it went knock knock one morning....never mind it will be fixed soon with a new engine to run in..cant wait....im sick of my 1 litre pug 205

Sy Wannabe
Old 18 November 2003, 08:46 PM
Ady 1
Scooby Regular

Hello Dan, soory to hear that M8, I know exactly how you feel. Can I just try to advise you for a mo then you won't hopefully end up in the same boat again, it may be wise of you to ask about getting an ECU remap (if possible)or even a replacement one that will control the fueling/boost etc like a link or Gems because you obviously (like myself) are a press on driver under the right conditions and won't want this expense again. I know it is more of the hard earned but may well be worth it in the long run! Just a thought. Anyway hope you get it back soon and are lighting the road up again. All the best M8.

Ady
Old 18 November 2003, 08:56 PM
Dan_Pulsar
Scooby Newbie

cheers ady ill look in to that...

Sy - Wannabe
Old 18 November 2003, 09:13 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

You don't need to go as far as a GEMS to minimise the chance of an expensive failure. Simply remapping the stock ECU, or using the correct amount of a good octane booster will suffice.
Old 18 November 2003, 09:20 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

It would suffice if the MY98 STi ecu was mappable which it isnt to my knowledge.Knocklink would have detected this surely,maybe i should invest in one
Old 18 November 2003, 09:22 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

Double post

[Edited by scooby-tc - 11/18/2003 9:29:11 PM]
Old 18 November 2003, 10:25 PM
simb 2
Scooby Regular

Location: South Wales - Stuck on this rollercoaster, get me off!!
The re-map is the safest option, until I get round to getting my done I use Millers octane booster on every tankful.

simb
Old 18 November 2003, 10:52 PM
SCOOBNOV
Scooby Regular

Wink

Half a can of Pro-Boost from GGR in every tankfull, Knocklink fitted, and I'm still paronoid!!!

Will be going 4 an ECU re-map soon but can't afford the services of BRDevelopments at over £1000. anyone know of a more cost effective but still decent re-map??

cheers

(doh!! it's an STI Type R ver5)

[Edited by SCOOBNOV - 11/18/2003 10:54:38 PM]
Old 19 November 2003, 02:21 AM
MISS SCOOBY STI
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

re Budsy
1/4 mile bhp
I've got an STI Type R V4 too
Only had for < 4 months, but have done one 1/4 mile track day. Managed 13.5 secs - lost loads of times getting the power down off the line though - other cars off line better but then I would zoom past them!!! so think I could get that time down slightly - was f@#king well happy 4 1st attempt though! Getting new (upgraded) clutch in with his xmas pressies!!!
Had my car rolling roaded recently too - 307BHP & discovered I have a f@#ked MAF Sensor. Told to get a new MAF sensor and Octane Booster. Considering I havent done anything to it except wash it & drive it since I got it, was quite happy!
Old 19 November 2003, 09:37 AM
Triple X
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

On an airfield Ady?! Are you sure? Im that fellow scoob owner you were trying to catch
How do you like the new car compared to your old one, or is it not run in enough to tell?
I will keep my eyes peeled for you!

John, (who crashed the yellow Type R)
Old 19 November 2003, 09:02 PM
Ady 1
Scooby Regular

Hi John, well what a surprise, how are you M8? yes we both remember the incident well don't we (what was it.....about 150ish) all I remember was trying to wressle with the car and loads of feekin smoke billowing out of the back. As for the new car John I think it will be OK but probably not as quick as the Type R and certainly not as quick as yours and ANdy's or put another way, I won't be chasing after you again in a hurry. Seriously though I do like the car but have not got the miles on to leather it yet. Will come and see you sometime. Take care now and whatch out for the blue scoop in the rear view (cos that's probably where it will stay).

Regards Ady
Old 19 November 2003, 10:25 PM
Triple X
Scooby Regular

Smile

Im doing well Ady, good to hear from you. Ive been down site a few times to have a nosey but aint seen your motor yet, i will have to drive through brig as every time i do i see you going the opposite way!
Did you sell your motor locally as ive seen a black V4 Type R knocking about (shouldnt use the word knocking) minus the stickers.
Speak to you soon, John
Old 19 November 2003, 10:57 PM
geordie 555
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

also melted some pistons at airfield(elvington) on a sti v5 type r,speedo read 160mph at 8000rpm then it just lost power. got the chance of a version 4 engine....would the block and pistons fit a version 5.does anybody know this info!
Old 20 November 2003, 11:12 PM
BUDSY
Scooby Regular

Just wanna say a massive thanks to all of you for replying and after all the horror stories of melted pistons i am now driving like Miss Daisy although i have just bought a Knockling through a group buy on here for the bargain price of £78 delivered there should be a seperate forum just for the typeR there seems to be so many postings on here for them. anyway thanks again