Dump Valves and Air filters

Search this Thread

Old 16 November 2003, 11:38 PM
rolandlowery
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Ola !

good evening one and all, just a couple of questions if ya'll don't mind. as this site seems to be briming over with advice and good all round peeps.

i asked a local scooby retailer prior to going to another scooby dealer, if what i heard about using super unleaded petrol was true, even though i knew this to be true, i couldn't belive it when he said, " no no, just use normal unleaded ", he then went on to say, " its cheaper anyway", " and it makes no difference at all",

needless to say when i told the good chap who i'm now buying my scooby off, he nearly fell off his chair. and said something alond the lines of " i cannot belive that F)(*king PR*(k said that.

so now that's out of the way, i would like to ask a couple of question, if you please.

Dump Valves : my scooby seems to have a standard one on, by this i mean, whilst test driving it, i could hardley hear it going. although i fully understand the technical side of what they do, what to i stand to gain, by getting a louder one,* which i like * or indeed another make of dump valve.

Air Filters : whilst also discussing other things about scoobys, the dude selling me mine, said that if you put a good induction kit on your scooby, you could get a further 5-8% BHP.

i don't think for a moment this chap is lying, i would however like to know if anyone out there has a recommendation for a kit, and of course what sort of increase i would expect.

once again, you lot out there in scooby land are the best, thanks alot for your time and patience.

Regards Me
Old 16 November 2003, 11:42 PM
my00scooby
Scooby Regular

Induction kit will give you very little performance gains, a bit more sound thats all. And oil based ones are very bad news, the oil can get sucked into the MAF, which can be damaged, which ultimately can lead to a dead engine.
Old 16 November 2003, 11:47 PM
akshay67
Scooby Regular

Hello mate...

I have an atmospheric D/V and an induction kit. The biggest thing you notice about these things is the noise they make!

I also like the sound of an atmospheric dumpvalve and that's why I got it (as well as aiding nice pops, bangs and flames ).

At lower speeds, the induction kit is probably a negative as its drawing in warm, less dense air. At higher speeds things change and I think my mid and top ends are better with the induction. I have worked on some ducting and now thinking of making a heat shield for the induction - all have a proven benefit, albeit hardly noticable - but then thats why half of us are here!

PS - get yourself a knocklink and use octane booster with optimax.

Enjoy!