ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Not happy

Search this Thread

Old 09 November 2003, 01:31 AM
sti4
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Right, I have had my STI4 remapped with a link ecu by a mapper who was recommended by people on here.

I travelled down to have the car remapped(3hrs travel), at the end of the session i was still getting a lot of lights on the knocklink at aroud 6k so the 'MAPPER' said that he would use his det cans to see if the noise was actually really Det, when we got back to his he found out that he had not got all of his equipment, so he was unable to actually hear if the engine was detting or if it was a over active reading from the stock knock sensor.

I was also not overly impressed with the additional power that i had been told i would get.The car feels stronger at the top end ie 80 plus but acceleration feels on par or even slower than standard.

I paid the 'MAPPER' on the promise that he would come down and remap the car when he had all of his equipment for his det cans. I have rang this 'MAPPER' three times and he has promised to ring me to arrange a time to finish the work that I have already paid him to do, but has yet to contact me

Since the map the car is stalling nearly all the time, doesnt like to start in the morning or after it has stalled and is hitting fuel cut in 3rd 4th and 5th every time you go on WOT.

I really dont know what to do about this as he was recommended by people on this bbs. Should i ring again and get him to remap it again or should i just try and get my money back if possible.

Should I name this person ?? I would like to add that this IS NOT BRD - I really wish I had gone to them in the first place!
Old 09 November 2003, 12:53 PM
jmk
Scooby Regular

Suggest you give him the chance to fix it and if it's not fixed after 1 more attempt then ask him to restore it to teh condition it was in pre-map and for a full refund.

Unless that is you paid cash-in-hand knowing it's not a legitimate job on which he'll pay tax, in which case you don't have a valid contact and no real case.

Make it clear what you want, be polite and don't lose your rag.

Good luck.
Old 09 November 2003, 04:07 PM
pat
Scooby Regular

Lest this gets out of hand, I'll own up to being the mapper. At the time I took the job on I wasn't made aware that the car was suffering from a serious detonation issue, it was basically detting everywhere. As a general rule of thumb it's a "bad idea" to take on such a car, because no matter what you do, it'll never be as impressive as the customer expects, the only real way to get the det under control is to back it off... so immediately you're starting with less than you had to start with, then you have to try to get that back one way or another.

Ordinarily the best thing to do is walk away, but my customer had driven for three hours and I felt obliged to try to do something with it, especially in light of the det it was suffering, so the Link was installed and we went out mapping. Immediately a comment was made that the det in the midrange was gone, so a bit of a result there. Toward the top end of the rev range there was still knocklink activity, but despite the knock sensitivity on the PossumLink being set deliberately low, it wasn't picking it up... hence the suspicion of mechanical noise rather than actual det.

With regard to the additional power, perhaps sti4 would have preferred it that I left the engine detting so that it made a little additional torque? But I'm not in the business of blowing engines up, I'de rather it went a little less rapidly, and kept going a little less rapidly, than going really well for a few thousand miles and needing a rebuild.

With regard to revisiting the map, sti4 lives on the way to where I left part of my cans... I need to go there to collect them and to have a look at some other cars anyway. I offered to pop in on my way back down to have another look at it. So far I haven't arranged a date to go where my cans are, so naturally I don't have a date for sti4 either. My mapping fee DOES NOT include time and petrol for me to make a 6 hour round trip to see someone! But I'll more than happily do that if someone asks and is willing to pay for time and petrol. As it stands I'll do it for free because I'll be going that way anyway.

I explained to sti4 when we mapped the car that it's difficult to get the cold start right when the engine's hot, and that it may not be perfect... I'de need to see the car when it was cold to get it spot on.

With regard to the overboost, it didn't do it on the day. After adjustment it pulled boost in quickly and accurately, and held it without overboost. I explained that although it is right at the time, it may alter a little with differing atmospheric conditions and that it may need a little tweak.

On the day I offered to tweak it via telephone / email if it needed it, in advance of popping in on the way past... so far I haven't been asked. All that's needed is to connect the laptop, and either drop an ammended map on or to give me a quick call and say "what parameter do I adjust?".

I'm sorry that it hasn't turned out quite the way sti4 has expected, and I'm happy to offer a full refund for the work carried out. I don't like having unhappy customers, and I've always tried as best I can to sort things out when there have been issues.

If sti4 would like a refund, I'll drop that in on my way past. In order to offer the refund I will require the map to be erased from the Link and the JECS to be restored. I'm more than happy to supply a copy of the existing map to another mapper, if sti4 would like to change mappers.

Hopefully this has addressed the points raised.

Cheers,

Pat.
Old 09 November 2003, 04:20 PM
Danny B
Scooby Regular

Awkward situation to be in, but handled well with the offer of a full refund.
My map is still going strong Pat especially now as when you mapped it the weather was 30c.

Old 10 November 2003, 01:32 AM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My map is going very very well

Ill give you a call soon pat and catch up

I still owe you a curry for my map

Would be nice if next time your up this way we dont work - sleep - work - sleep -work -sleep - work -eat - work...

you get the picture

David
Old 10 November 2003, 02:18 AM
Kane
Scooby Regular

Its always hard for me to allow someone to modify my car without knowing them - which is why everyone comes here for advice on good mappers. Which STI took advice on and he got yourself Pat.

I must say Pat you have handled it very well in what you have posted as a lot would not have bothered.

Sometimes as customers we dont always listen to the "CONSULTATION" as much as we should and sometimes the installer does not make sure that his customer understands fully what he has said.

I hope by you guys posting this people will learn from this with regard to both sides of the coin - customer/installer.
Old 10 November 2003, 02:31 AM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Sounds like Pat needs the car again and preferably overnight to sort the cold start out. Judging by others responses, Pat sounds like a guy who knows what he's talking about and seems like a fair chap.

As it sounds like its running like a pile of poo, sooner rather than later