ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!! NEW SCOOBY OWNER

Search this Thread

Old 11 March 2003, 09:11 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You have the answer already, you need 4 decent tyres all round- Goodyear F1's or Toyos.

edited to add: you could try Pilots all round- I had them and wasn't impressed though.

[Edited by NACRO - 11/3/2003 9:12:27 AM]
Old 11 March 2003, 01:07 PM
iDLe*
Scooby Regular

I spun out on a roundabout in the dry only 20 miles into my Scooby owning career

Basically was going good giving it near redline in 2nd but as I got to the apex some dozzy bint (ok I was going a little fast too) pulled out and then just stopped and looked at me ARRGRGHH, I didn't panic, just let my right foot up and braked a little, seemed cool enough and looked like I'd stop in time, no problemo then I felt the back coming round and I ended up pointing where I came from facing into the roundabout with inches to spare to the curb, I freakin sh*t it and would have been so gutted if I trashed the car so soon!!! Basic moral is AWD does not mean your invinsible, its all good with the power down but let off and your gonna have trouble.

SLOW IN FAST OUT !!!

[Edited by iDLe* - 11/3/2003 1:09:22 PM]
Old 03 November 2003, 09:06 AM
newscoobyvirgin
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Just bought a scooby last week and looking for a little advice!!
Have currently spun the car on two wet roundabouts and tryin to find out why!! Have probably tried to go round em only as quick as i did in my previously owned Alfa, so i expected the scooby to at least perform better. Could it be down to the tyres on the car or something more serious?? The car came from the garage with new Michelin pilots on the front and some Semperit's on the back which i am not convinced about in the first place.
Please help as i'm tryin to enjoy me new scooby!!
Old 03 November 2003, 09:14 AM
newscoobyvirgin
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that, just to keep u fully informed, the Michelin Pilots are the primacy one's, is it worth fitting two to the back as well or startin from scratch with four goodyears or TOYO'S, i thought the toyo's didn't perform that well in the wet?
Old 03 November 2003, 09:23 AM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know
get toyos all round
Old 03 November 2003, 09:26 AM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Smile

Yes both tyres mentioned are good.
Goodyear F1s are excellent and make a massive differnce. I used to run even pressure in all tyres. Big debates as to what pressures to run. Down to personal choice at the end of the day. Just play about with it. Never put different makes of tyre on a performance car. I always put the new tyres on the back and the old half worn backs on the front. This make for more predictable handling on the road. As far a driving as a rule - SLOW IN FAST OUT of a bend. You can feed the power down in the bend untill the car understears.
Lift off suddently and big overstear. This however is good fun a lowish speeds on empty roundabouts.

Hope this helps and change the tyres
Steve

Before changing tyres it may be worth upgrading to 17' rims as they seem to be the best size when it comes to improving performance.

You can get handling packages to negate the tendancy to understear if you so want.
Old 03 November 2003, 09:27 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
I've got the Goodyear F1 GSD3's and they seem great wet or dry, I'm told the Toyos are pretty good in the wet too.

Perhaps you could save cash and get the Pilots all round- they are still a quality tyre, although I don't know anything about them first hand.

Trending Topics

Old 03 November 2003, 09:50 AM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

Biggest problem is the mix of tyres, rather than what they are.

Steve's dead right about the 'Slow in, Fast out' principle, and it applies to all cars. Also the 'classic' Impreza could easily be provoked into lift off oversteer. So having little grip at the rear will just make it worse.

We all have different preferences in tyres, and in my case I simply can't get on with one tyre people regularly suggest, In fact I think they suck, but the truth is probably that they just don't suit my driving style. The important thing, in my opinion, is that you at least have even grip all round.

I don't wish to be rude, but if you've spun the car twice already, you're working on the assumption that it will handle in exactly the same way as your previous car, only with more grip, and I'm afraid it's not like that. 4WD/AWD is a completely different beast to your Alpha, and requires a change in your driving style.

There are some hateful people out there who can jump into any car and go fast straight away. Sadly, us mortals need to take time to aclimatise to the differences.

Change 2 tyres (although if they're too heavily worn it's best to change all 4) and then start again from scratch. Take time to learn the car, and you'll enjoy it a whole lot more.

Welcome to Scoobynet by the way

Josh
Old 03 November 2003, 09:56 AM
newscoobyvirgin
Scooby Regular

Thanks to all who've replied so far, bottom line is, will i get away with fittin two michelin pilot primacy's on the back to match the new ones already on the front, or should i bite the bullet and change all four?
Am looking for good handling in the wet as well as the dry.
Old 03 November 2003, 10:04 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I personally do not like the Toyo Proxies TS-1's, but I think the Goodyear Eagle F1 is a fantastic tyre.

The Goodyears in my opinion offer more grip in the wet and in the dry. Although they are less predictable on the limit (but I never pushed that hard!) The Toyos are more progressive on the limit and makes them more predictable (but I find the limit to easy to reach!)

I suspect that the reason you spun your car, was due to lift off oversteer. You probably lifted off the accelerator mid corner, and the weight was thrown backwards giving a pendulum effect, causing the backend to try and overtake you! I know it's not instinctive, but try to keep the power on and try to control it, rather than liftoff (or brake)!

If there isn't enough room to keep the power down, you are probably going too quickly into the roundabout!!!
Old 03 November 2003, 11:07 AM
newscoobyvirgin
Scooby Regular

yet another question!! is it worth putting the cars original equipment of bridgestones on?
Old 03 November 2003, 11:10 AM
RB170
Scooby Regular

get Toyo Proxes from http://www.mytyres.net
Old 03 November 2003, 11:13 AM
Sith
Scooby Regular

If they are RE.... Then NOOOOOOOOOO. If they are SO2 / SO3 then yes.

Otherwise go straight to Goodyear GSD3 and 17" Rims. Superb combo. Have yet to find their adhesion limits in the dry. Not sure if I want to.
Old 03 November 2003, 12:33 PM
v5 man
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the difference tyres make is quite alot. I had bridgestones on my standard WRX my01 rims, which I felt were adequate. one day i punctured a tyre, but SUBARU didnt have stock of the tyres, so got a cheap WANLI. This was on the rear passenger side. since that day i could slip that rear end out no problem, but not after replacing with a bridgestone again.
Old 03 November 2003, 01:37 PM
Mad Hammer
Scooby Regular

Smile

I had a set of Primicy's before GSD 3's and they were very good, the Goodyears are excellent but unless I had £200 to burn I'd get 2 Primicy's for the rear.

Clive
Old 03 November 2003, 01:48 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Also remember that if you have new tyres on they will not be scrubbed in yet and may still have solid resin material on the outer surface. This can cause massive loss of grip. On new tyres I would recommend taking it (relatively) easy for the first 500-1000 miles.
Old 03 November 2003, 01:51 PM
Scooby Snacks 23
Scooby Regular

Or you could just slow down
Old 03 November 2003, 01:55 PM
Jerry*
Scooby Regular

Tail out on roundabouts ?!?

You're driving like a **** - slow down...

Attend a trackday and get some of the driver tuition.. it'll be well worth it.
Old 03 November 2003, 01:57 PM
pp1
Scooby Regular

Wink

I VE GOT TOYOS ALL ROUND. GOOD IN THE WET OR DRY...
Old 03 November 2003, 01:59 PM
iDLe*
Scooby Regular

Who's a ****?
Old 03 November 2003, 04:18 PM
Sith
Scooby Regular

Jerry* When I got my Scoob it came with cr@p Michelin tyres. Wet roundabouts were a lottery. I had to creep round. 1.1 Metro's were going faster than I. Just 'cos the tail came out does not mean he is a ****

Driver training is very handy tho.
Old 03 November 2003, 04:32 PM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

Location: Ibiza TDI - Causing a smokescreen on a back road near you
You should try driving a bloated MK IV Golf - it would be quicker to push the car around wet roundabouts...
Old 03 November 2003, 08:29 PM
kev 1
Scooby Regular

HI GUYS ,MY 17S HAVE 205 40 17S ARE THES THE CORRET SIZE OR SHOULD IT BE 215 45 17 CARS A 93 WRX
Old 03 November 2003, 09:38 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Virgin,

If you are going to invest in a set of new tyres all round, which is the right way to go (use Goodyear F1's, I'm not sold on Toyo's through naff personal experiences)I would strongly advise you to get your geometry done immediately after the tyres go on.

Yes, I meant geometry, not just tracking. As you are based in Preston, I'm not sure who is geared up to do it for you oop North. Try a search on here to see if a thread alreay exists or simply ask.

I do agree with the comments that driving a Scoob could be different to an Alpha due to drivetrain differences. You need to feel your way with each new car to learn its strengths and weaknessess, assets & vices. The Scoob will bite if you don't handle it correctly, in spite of 4 wheel drive and (usually)tenacious handling.

Hope this helps.
Old 03 November 2003, 09:50 PM
STi Paul
Scooby Regular

Question

Have you tried changing the tyres front to back, and see if the back slides away the same???
If it still does, it might not be the tyres, if the front starts to go, its deffo the tyres.
Dont forget to adjust pressures before trying it out.

Paul
Old 04 November 2003, 09:18 AM
newscoobyvirgin
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Message fer Jerry!!!

A ****, blimey!! only asked for some advice as a new scooby owner and i'm being insulted already, not the best advert for a discussion board.

Thanks to everyone else by the way for their constructive comments.

Just to clarify, when the back end went in the wet i was NOT going that fast at all which is why i've raised my concerns.
Am getting the tyres today, will wear them in for a bit, and will try to find somewhere that can do the geometry settings.
How does the Impreza feel when cornering in terms of steering feel?

Old 04 November 2003, 09:32 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Don't worry about jerry too much, he turned up on a thread I contributed to and spoke similar garbage. I don't think he even owns a Subaru so probably best just to treat him with the respect he deserves ie none.
Old 04 November 2003, 09:40 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

bearing in mind you have spun twice in one week you may want to look at how you drive a little more generally.....you can talk tyres/ grip/ slip angle and fuel surge all you want, anyone spinning out of control on the road has other issues as well.

i'd like to see a post from a scoob owner saying "some old lady crashed into me" and moaned it was because of the compound on her dunlops!

T
Old 04 November 2003, 09:46 AM
newscoobyvirgin
Scooby Regular

Know what u mean tiggs, maybe testing the Imprezas limits in the wet on my first week of ownership was not the best idea!!
will happily report on my future progress on this board as there have been some helpful comments.
The tyres which are being fitted today are the TOYO PROXES, seen various comments on this board varying between Goodyear F1's and TOYO'S, here's hoping!