Sponsored by:

DUMP/INDUCTION OR NOT ?

Search this Thread

Old 31 October 2003, 04:11 PM
smithers
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Dump/induction or not.As I drive a 70bhp van by day and work away most of the time 215-20bhp at the weekend is great. I have a Magnex backbox fitted and shortly a turbo/downpipe will be fitted. I would like a bit more out of my 99 classic and have considered a dump valve and induction kit but was advised by my exhaust supplier that a d.valve was a waste of money and an induction kit was annoyingly noisy, having never driven with either your opinions would be much appreciated.
Old 31 October 2003, 04:20 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

Wink

Welcome to the forum m8! dump valves, I think you'll soon get fed up of the noise! induction kits can and have caused damage to the MAF sensor due to poor filtration and bad vibrations. if you do a thread search on here you will find loads about it. Personally i have an ITG panel filter in a standard air box.
dave

[Edited by misty - 10/31/2003 5:07:26 PM]

[Edited by misty - 10/31/2003 5:09:04 PM]
Old 31 October 2003, 04:23 PM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

Ummmm I've run a number of induction kits and found they were great for top end at the expense of low-down torque. The noise....well I liked it with a standard recirc DV. I then had an HKS SSQ DV and thought it sounded a little stupid. Now I am old I run standard airbox and panel filter with a recirc dv..boring and quiet again.
C
Old 31 October 2003, 04:42 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Get a green panel filter m8, will perform alot better than an induction kit. An induction kit will suck in hot air from the turbo, you want cold dense air. A panel filter will be best for this.
Old 31 October 2003, 04:46 PM
spally
Scooby Regular

welcome smithers, as has been said before i have hear induction kits causing problems therefore i haven't had one fitted. Whereas the dump valve i think this is a matter of opinion, i have a MY99 and wouldn't be without my HKS dump valve
Old 31 October 2003, 05:01 PM
TEXAS PETE
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hello mate I personally have an ITG panel filter which is what Scooby sport use, most people on here rate them highly and its never caused me any trouble. As for the noise just a bit of a sucking noise which am sure you’ll love as the others have said would steer away from the induction kits.
Old 31 October 2003, 06:36 PM
RY01
Scooby Newbie

Hi mate
From what ive been told MY99 and MY00 are more prone to damage using induction kits as the MAF sensors are more sensitive. I have a MY00 and had a HKS super power flow induction kit fitted to it, 3 months later the MAF sensor died and i was really gutted because i loved the induction roar. I also have a dump valve which i also love the sound of although it sounded a lot better with an induction kit but i would prefer to have no induction noise than a car that could'nt idle properly especially when you get to a give way sign and the car stalls (very embarrassing especially in an impreza)
Old 31 October 2003, 06:45 PM
mista weava
Scooby Regular

if you like dv's then stick one on - millions to choose from depending on your preference. i have a forge.

Weava
Old 31 October 2003, 07:16 PM
smithers
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the welcome and the advice.I think Ill stick to the downpipe n panel filter.Strangely addictive this website. The wife thinks Ive lost it, now the cars taken over inside the house as well as out.Bring on Sat mornin and empty roads.Cheers
Old 31 October 2003, 08:07 PM
sti-spec-a
Scooby Regular

I removed the std DV blanked off the hoses fitted a K&N filter it now sounds the muts nuts .................yes i know there is a risk of blowin the turbo so dont follow my bad example and let me have the nicest sounding scooby this side of the missisippi ..........................cheers
Old 31 October 2003, 08:42 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

The nicest sounding Scooby this side of a WRC, surely?

I would like a bit more out of my 99 classic and have considered a dump valve and induction kit
The only thing these two will give you more of is noise. If you want more performance, use a K&N or Green panel filter and spend the money you were going to waste on the DV on something else - primarily a decat downpipe.
Old 01 November 2003, 12:12 AM
NelsonUK
Scooby Regular

I have a MY00 - and tend to agree with whats already been said. I run an ITG panel filter with the standard airbox (resonator still in place too) and the standard recirc dumpvalve. With the ITG you get a slight more induction noise but not much in it really. For me stealth is important