Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Group N discs

Search this Thread

Old 20 May 2000, 07:14 PM
Graham Stocker
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting some front discs Group N and Pagid pads fitted next week, on my 95 WRX. Anyone else got these , and how do you rate them. Thanks Graham.
Old 20 May 2000, 07:22 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

If they are half as good as the Bremsport 'Group N' grooved discs I have just fitted - prepare to be stunned (and hold on to loose objects in the car!).

Which 'Group N' discs? and how much? FYI Bremsports were £106/pair.
Old 20 May 2000, 07:40 PM
Les
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

GrahamGary

Having done the Snetterton track day last w/e my standard brakes are screeching and grumbling badly. I can't stretch to £1500 for ProdriveAPBrembo etc (had a ride in a Brembo equiped car, awsome!) so was wondering the best upgrade path. Tony who had the Brembo's said he tried Group N discs 1st and was un-impressed. I've heard other people rave about the Bremsports so you might want to go for them.

Just out of interest Gary, where did you buy your discs from and what pads are you running?

Les (at work and v.bored!)

[This message has been edited by Les (edited 20-05-2000).]
Old 20 May 2000, 08:00 PM
Graham Stocker
Scooby Regular

They are Brembo Group N Discs Having them fitted at Scoobysport.Graham.
Old 21 May 2000, 08:56 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

Les - got discs from TAS in Leyland (mail order), and am running 1155 pads. For £170 for pads and discs, it is worth giving it a stab! The difference on the road is awesome - when warmed up, the stopping power creates so much neg 'g' as to give you a split second headache

Fade has been non-existant so far, but the most hammering they have had was 20-minutes of hard moorland driving (standard discs started to fade after 5 mins on same 'route'. First Track event on 22nd July, will see how the fair then!

The only minor downside is a 'humming' under braking caused by the grooves.

I'm in Preston if you want a sample!
Old 21 May 2000, 01:00 PM
bob
Scooby Regular

I have group N disks on my motor. I cannot tell the differance between the Group N disks and Standard disks. The group N disks are harder and harder pads do not groove the disks like they do on standard disks. The only benifit I have found with group N disks is they last longer.
Old 21 May 2000, 02:25 PM
DanTheMan
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I fitted the scoobysport group N disks and pads a few weeks ago to my WRX and I noticed a big difference from the standard set up. The old discs were worn so perhaps the difference was more noticable but I would reccomend it anyday as a great (cheaper) alternative to the full 4 pot conversions, its just a pity the dust blackens the alloys so fast !!!
Old 21 May 2000, 11:49 PM
Stuart Page
Scooby Regular

Hi, I'm running Group N discs and Pagid FR Pads from Scoobysport. The increase in stopping power is not that great, but noticeable. I'm having braided hoses fitted soon to see if that improves things. I think they're worth it if you're ready to replace a worn standard set-up, otherwise save the bucks for a big-brake conversion!
Old 22 May 2000, 06:59 PM
Graham Stocker
Scooby Regular

Stuart if you dont mind me asking how much have you been quoted for the Braided hoses as i might take the same route Graham.

Old 22 May 2000, 08:50 PM
Les
Scooby Regular

There seems to be much confusion on this upgraded braking subject .In this thread we have, upgraded pads are great, Group N discs make a difference and then that they don't!!! Then we have Gary with his Bremsport discs that are brilliant.

To cap it all today I spoke to Graham Goode and they recommended Tarox 40 groove discs and Mintex pads.

Not really the worst decision in the World is it? How to spend more money on my Subaru upgrading the brakes for track days! (Still not sure what to go for though!!!)
Old 22 May 2000, 09:12 PM
Graham Stocker
Scooby Regular

I agree its all a bit confusing , Personally i am wary of the Grooved and slotted variety. Had a set of G force Grooved and drilled on a RS 2000 mk 6 a couple of years back. On the second set of pads the discs were knackered!!. Having said that they did work well up until then.
Old 23 May 2000, 12:20 PM
Stuart Page
Scooby Regular

Hi Graham,
Got them off scoobysport, abiout £60+VAT i think, Goodrich ones of course! Having them fitted as part of my 15,000mile interval service. (Actually 105K miles!! and still purrs like a kitten!) Think the extra for full system flush and fitment is about 80 quid, but obviously cheaper when done as part of a service!
If you email me direct, i'll let you know how i got on with them when i get the car back! ( saturday afternoon hopefully!)
Old 23 May 2000, 06:48 PM
scoobymike
Scooby Regular

I've fitted Tarox grooved/drilled disc in combination with Ferodo DS2000 and steel braided hoses. Made a big improvement over the standard discs (MY 99). The problem is that the pads don't last long on my car (only 3000 miles). Another problem I recently experienced was the pads melting on the disc after a hard drive and breaking from about 140 mph to 30 mph. Now I had to rebuild the discs and add new pads. Wasn't really a pleasant experience.
In my opinion only a brembo or AP-Kit is enough for a tuned and hard driven scooby.
PS: Haven't been on a track with these brakes and they still had to suffer too much!