Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Highly Moded cars

Search this Thread

Old 30 October 2003, 10:38 PM
triple6
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just wondering how hard it is too sell a highly modified Scoob these days? When i say highly moded im talking over 400 bhp for a Scoob. Anyone whos owned one how hard was it to sell? Is it much easer to sell a standard version? And how many of you would consider buying a highly modded example?
Old 30 October 2003, 10:49 PM
Franko
Scooby Regular

i'd buy a highly moded example... thinking of moding mine... gauges n knock link going on soon and then looking at induction kit.. then turbo as its on its way out and go step by step from there.. my scooby was moded but put to standard before i got my hands on it...

I'd say if someone wants to mod there car it'd probably work out cheaper buying a ready moded one... but i guess the'rs the issue of knowing what kinda works been done and how the car actually performs over a certain period of time rather than the length of the test drive...
Old 31 October 2003, 12:26 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

ive never had a problem selling any one of my previous highly modded cars, it depends on how well the cars looked after imo
if its plain to see that u love your car to bits you should have no problems shifting it, running a car with the boost whacked right up, minging interior and loads of dents doesnt fare very well

i keep reciepts for everything, i keep pictures of it being shown @ shows and events, i keep everything possible to show that im a enthusiast and not sum knacker, who trashes it all over the place and couldnt give a flying..
Old 31 October 2003, 06:00 AM
Franko
Scooby Regular

i'd be looking for all the things described by stickyMicky whent to see n x reg sti for £10k with loads of mods about a year ago... the owner drove the car for the test drive and he drove like a loonatic.. it put me off purchasing. At every give way/junction he'd break using gears instead of the break pedal!
Old 31 October 2003, 07:11 AM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Red face

Franko - I use engine braking most of the time. If the downshifts are smooth enough then why not. Surely the car is more controllable when pulling up this way?

Buying a highly-modded example? Yep, I would do that if I wanted a highly-modded car in the end - provided the mods were safe rather than uncontrolled e.g. internals + motec rather than just a Dawes device and full-decat combo. Not that you'd get to 400bhp+ with that combo.
Much better to let someone else pay the depreciation on the mods. If you bought an 'un-modded scoob' to tune yourself, how could you actually be sure that it hadn't been modded unsafely (pumped up Dawes for example) and then returned to standard just for the purpose of the sale anyway?

Suresh

[edited because I can't spell early in the morning]

[Edited by Suresh - 10/31/2003 7:17:05 AM]
Old 01 November 2003, 01:56 AM
v5 man
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dont think i`d be interested in a highly modded car. not sure why, just doesn`t appeal. i`d rather go lightly modded and work up myself. at least that way i could be sure of what bits are uprated and wouldnt be relying on seller info. probably alone here, but there would be too many doubts in my mind.
Old 01 November 2003, 11:17 AM
Mr555
Scooby Regular

Would buying someone else's highly "personalised" ('cos that's what it is at the end of the day) car not be a bit like wearing 2nd hand clothes?
Old 01 November 2003, 01:28 PM
mista weava
Scooby Regular

agree mr555 - its nice to say you built the car.

also, half the fun is in buying mods!

i would be a lost soul if i was not looking at which mod to buy next!

Weava