Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

That's one for the good guys!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 30 October 2003, 11:53 AM
Chris29
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After all the depressing stuff recently about scooby's going missing thought i'd tell you all a little story, true, but for operational reasons, names places etc have been changed.

Monday night and i'm out and about in my little patrol car, nothing much is hapening and i'm looking towards the end of the shift. Then a call 'Any patrol please, job on a high, disturbance outside no * ********** St.' Even though it's the far side of the sub-division everyone calls in to say they're responding, at this time we don't know whats happening and don't want just one officer turning up to a street fight! Then, 'Another call from ********** St, saying a car is being taken now, 3 males attacking a male in the street.' Well now the s*** hits the fan, from doing 50mph to get to a disturbance we're all up to 60-70, not great speeds but we're going through Manchester here, rush hour! 3 minutes after the first call a unit goes 'state 6' (at scene). 1 minute after that the officer calls up with a reg of the car which has gone (MY02 in black). 1 minute later India 99 (force helicopter) is spinning up from Barton to get to us, ETA 3 mins. Traffic are now hurtling towards us with their Tracker systems running. Meanwhile we have a vague idea of which way its gone and as a group we're planning routes in and out, rv points and likely areas to check (all while moving at speed, passengers checking maps etc). So within 6 minutes we have 6 units in area, 5 Traffic with tracker within a mile and the copter within a 3 mile radius of the area. 'TRACKER ACTIVATION!', now it gets interesting. We already have an idea of where this cars going (every area has hotspots where cars are found) and 3 units are heading that way. Bear in mind only traffic has Tracker and the boys and girls are doing their best to rely signals via comms to patrol cars. 7 minutes after vehicle has been taken one of our patrol vehicles turns into ******* Rd, a dead end on a notorious estate, just as a traffic car turn in. 'Vehicle located!' 3 have bailed and are on foot away from the car which is thankfully undanaged. 99 is now over us and all units are looking for the three. I spot 3 candidates and after turning to stop they leg it, with me in pursuit. One gives it up straight away, interesting as obviously i grip him giving the other two chance to get away on their toes. Details are taken and verified (as i don't work that area i ask for verification by PNC, local systems and local lads who know him). Unfortunately at the time and in the excitement i have no firm reason to nick him, he stopped when shouted at and running from police is an olympic sport in Manchester! I make sure we have all his details as well as clothing and send him on his way.

Next day with all statements taken etc we're locking him and 2 up for Robbery!!! RESULT!!

This is a true account of what happened and i hope it shows we don't sit on our ***** all day drinking coffee!! I even maintain we beat TRACKER on this occassion, though we were lucky with that one!
Old 30 October 2003, 11:57 AM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

Well done mate.

And now for the other 99.9999999999999999999999999999% of crims.

The problem is perception, less coppers being visible, increase in crime etc etc
Old 30 October 2003, 11:58 AM
madras
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Makes a change from hearing about all the doom and gloom.

Keep up the good work!

madras
Old 30 October 2003, 12:02 PM
T4molie
Scooby Regular

Nice one Chris

Hope the owner isn't too badly hurt

Andy
Old 30 October 2003, 12:05 PM
Chris29
Scooby Regular

2 points :

1. Owner shook up and a couple of bruises but nothing serious.

2. You don't get more visible than 9 vehicles at high speed with sirens blaring and lights on full, force helicopter overhead (they aint quite!) and police dogs going for it!

Sometimes i wonder why i bother!
Old 30 October 2003, 12:10 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

Talking

Well thats Chris and his mates bit, we need to make sure we do all we can so that this type of result happens more often. Get a Tracker of some sort has to be worth it.

Thanks Chris....
Old 30 October 2003, 12:13 PM
Arthur Fowler
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Nice one Chris. Thanks for bothering!

The majority of us know what a tough job you've got and really appreciate the work that you do.

Exciting tale, well told. Glad it turned out with a result.

Arthur.

Trending Topics

Old 30 October 2003, 12:15 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Wink

The majority of us know what a tough job you've got and really appreciate the work that you do.
Firstly I agree 100% with Arthur above so Well done

but (and I mean this as no disprespect to you or to the police...and my flame suit is zipped firmly up )

I like to think I do my job as per my job description every day as well and nobody ever pats me on the back for doing what I'm paid to do

[Edited by SiPie - 10/30/2003 12:17:35 PM]
Old 30 October 2003, 12:22 PM
Chris29
Scooby Regular

I'll have it mate, sure you do an admirable job all the time. Thats the point, so do we, forget the cr*p you saw on the t.v. (that was a bunch of recruits who never were set out by themselves boasting how hard and tough they were. £200 fixed penalty, impossible, 6 points, impossible, we can't do it. As for that North Wales p**** he needed putting down!) this is what we do day in day out. I wasn't putting that tale up as a one off, we recover a very high percentage of stolens (i'll admit to us losing a scoob yesterday but at 140mph down the motorway the transit van behind was never gonna keep up!!) that never gets reported. its the old story, one satisfied person tells one person, a dissatisfied one tells ten!
But the one thing to take out of this is simple, GET A TRACKER!!! Don't matter which, just get one!
Old 30 October 2003, 12:28 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Good job!!!

BUT...Then they will toddle off to court and get sent on their way. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Andy
Old 30 October 2003, 12:31 PM
Chris29
Scooby Regular

Not these boys (nod nod, wink wink!!!)

I love it when a plan comes together!!!
Old 30 October 2003, 12:40 PM
LC Geezer
Scooby Regular

Nice work. Good to hear that policing is being done as it should be. I expect you'll spend the next 6 weeks doing all the relevant paperwork.

Here's how it would happen in Sussex :
Man in Scoob robbed of Scoob. Owner calls Police.
"There is no-one available to take your call at the moment. All our operators are busy with other calls. You have been placed in a queue and your call will be answered as soon as possible. Please be assured that your call is important to us and we are making every effort to answer your call as soon as possible."

Music.

"There is no-one available to take your call at the moment. All our operators are busy with other calls. You have been placed in a queue and your call will be answered as soon as possible. Please be assured that your call is important to us and we are making every effort to answer your call as soon as possible."

More music.

Operator : "Hello sir. Your crime number is..."

Scoob owner : "Aren't you going to attend first?"

Operator : "Oh.Errr, well we don't usually but if you insist. What's the address please?".

3 days pass.

Ring on doorbell.

Scoob owner : "Ahhh - the police. You've finally arrived".

Police : "Oh, did you call us then?".

Scoob owner : "Yes, three days ago when my car was hi-jacked."

Police : "Not heard about that. We've come to arrest you for looking at a speed camera in disapproving manner."

All tongue in cheek. No offence meant to anyone (i.e. Police, Scoob owners, Pike...erm Travellers).
Old 30 October 2003, 12:41 PM
Judge
Scooby Regular

Sorry Sipie mate but I cant agree with that.The police do an excellent job under intolerable conditions,and deal with the scum of society who do not adhere to the rules the police are expected to.
On the subject of "pats on the back" and you not getting any can I ask this,are you on the same salary that you started your job on now or have you had raises(outwith inflation) because you were doing a good job?........Thought so! The police do not get raises in line with performance but set incremental raises regardless of performance.Kind of takes the incentive out of high speed pursuits and risking your life eh?So they obviously do it out of a genuine care about the public and their property wouldn't you say?

I dont like to see the police bad mouthed at all (Although I know you personally were not) But it happens all to often on this forum by people who are,I have no doubt, law abiding but are willing to jump on the "We hate the police" pathetic bandwagon.

We would be in a pretty sorry state without them and would be robbed of our pride and joy double quick by some shell suited, knife weilding, missing link!

This story was only posted because there was a scoob in it and this is after all scoobynet.

If you want a pat on the back go to PENPUSHERPAPERSHUFFLER.COM Im sure you will find them very appreciative.

Rant over.
Old 30 October 2003, 12:46 PM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

Chris, think you misunderstood what I said.

Well done.

The rest of my original post was intended to comment on the perception of the police which I'm sure you understand otherwise you wouldnt have felt the need to post using the title you used, "one for the good guys"
Old 30 October 2003, 12:47 PM
Wuss
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Great story and a great result!

Two tw*ts tried to carjack me about four months ago and the Police arrived within minutes of me reporting it. The incident took place at 11.45pm on a Friday evening, which I can imagine is one of the busiest times, but they still managed to get to me quickly. The two officers were very supportive and patient and stayed with us until 1.00am, taking all the details and making sure we were okay.

Unfortunately, the kn*bs who tried it on were not caught for that incident, but that was mainly down to my inability to give a good description of the assailants.

At the end of the day, the Police do a great job dealing with the scum of the earth - I for one would not want to do it, so I applaude you for standing up and being counted.

Mark.

PS. I do have a tracker and next time I'm going to let them take the car if they threaten me.
Old 30 October 2003, 12:47 PM
Franko
Scooby Regular

Nice job chris29
Old 30 October 2003, 12:55 PM
TurboKitty
Scooby Regular

Talking

PML @ LC Geezer's post.

Old 30 October 2003, 12:59 PM
hawkeye
Scooby Regular

is the 29 after your name the number of scumbags youve nicked if so it should now be chris32!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL!!!

well done I too love to see a plan come together

excellant

hawk
Old 30 October 2003, 01:04 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Wink

If you want a pat on the back go to PENPUSHERPAPERSHUFFLER.COM Im sure you will find them very appreciative.
Judge

Just making a point as I felt that Chris wants the world to thank him for basically doing his job. He knows the risks for the meagre salary and still he choses to do it. That's all.

I respect the police and wouldn't personally do their job for all the tea in China.

However, The police that I don't respect are the ones that removed 8 ounces of hash when my mate got busted with a 9bar and when it came to court there was only an ounce still, he got off lightly, so maybe he owed the policeman in a funny kind of way

Then years ago when all my mates were into the hash scene... who did they buy their blow from ? Correct, member of the local drug squad... fact

Then shall I go on about the group of police sitting in a Rose street Pizza restaurant a few Christmases ago sitting guttered and bollock naked because effectively they could get away with it

It's like any profession, some good and some bad.....

Need I say again well done Chris and keep up the good work

And yes I'm havin a bad feckin day as a so called penpusher judge Profile may say desk top publisher but that only tells a tiny bit of the story mate

Cheers

Old 30 October 2003, 01:06 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Chris,

Thanks for posting this up. I think we all appreciate that yours is a tough job and that the vast majority of good results just don't get a public airing. Keep up the good work.

You guys do need to find a way of dealing with the bad press that you get, not the least because the perception is that certain areas of crime are , perhaps, over zealously policed (eg speeding) while others appear not to be (eg robberies at home).

The problem is that, for the public at large, perception IS reality. Fight that one and you are on to a winner!

Thanks again.

WB
Old 30 October 2003, 01:09 PM
turbo bob
Scooby Regular

oooh! how cool makes a change from the jealous lying bas+ards up here...

turbo"3 points for f**k all"bob
Old 30 October 2003, 01:12 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Chris,

Brilliant Job m8

Jza
Old 30 October 2003, 01:19 PM
rb5 286
Scooby Regular

its great that the police do such a hard job but really whats the point.

these theiving, murdering scum go up in front of a judge and they get let off with warnings (wow, they've had how many before), fines (that they cant pay), community work (they never turn up or use it to nick more stuff) or SUSPENDED jail time.

then they're straight back on the street causing more damage, hurt, stealing our cars etc.

its a great judicial system we have.

Old 30 October 2003, 01:51 PM
Chris29
Scooby Regular

I knew the salary when i joined and still did it!!!

Not after a pat on the back, the look on the guys face when told his car was ok was enough for us all. We do not want praise, after all you're right, i'm doing my job. Just thought it was an insight to what we do and how, this goes on day in day out without note. As for speeding, i agree, some officers (traffic enforcement) go out every day to catch speeders, its their job, what i think personally won't change that but i do think sometimes pressure from above causes, ahem, interesting moments.

We're just glad to get results from time to time, as for sentencing thats out of my hands and myself and a lot of other officers do not even look to see what people got thats just demotivating!
Old 30 October 2003, 03:38 PM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Location: I'm still around in deepest Essex, now with a Fiesta ST-2
Top job Chris
Old 30 October 2003, 03:48 PM
hawkeye
Scooby Regular

Just like to add that I have nothing but admiration for anyone who serves in any of our forces whether they be Police, Army, Navy, Fire etc etc your all doing a job i couldnt do and putting your lives (potentially) on the line for people like ourselves....

All I can say is well done and a great result...........

I think rather than people slagging the system off (which chris cannot control) there should be more people giving praise

Hawk
Old 30 October 2003, 03:51 PM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

Well done Chris m8, nice to hear a story with a result at the end of it.
Bet the owner was pleased with you and ur m8's ?
Old 30 October 2003, 07:12 PM
mr smash
Scooby Regular

Talking

well done m8 keep up the good work
Old 30 October 2003, 08:29 PM
Gary C
Scooby Regular

Nice one, keep it up. The public do appreciate you, really.
Old 30 October 2003, 09:50 PM
Mercury
Scooby Regular

I wonder Chris, if those people who continually moan that the police are only in interested in catching speeding motorists, might change their views after reading your story. If their car was stolen and that amount of police activity was deployed catching the thieves, would they appreciate the cost involved mounting that sort of operation?

Without the extra revenue gained from motorists who are breaking the law, I doubt very much that many forces would be able to afford the funding needed to maintain a force chopper on the budget the government give them.

Quick Reply: That's one for the good guys!!!!