Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FTO to import STI V7 Prodrive Style

Search this Thread

Old 29 October 2003, 05:11 PM
Flookster
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just registered with Scoobynet. I have decided to move up the ladder and depart from my 98' FTO Type R, (which has given me 3 years good service).

I have pretty much decided on importing an STI v7 Prodrive Style and using Newera Imports. I have three questions which I am sure the group can help with,

1) What's the best insurance company right now, A-Plan quoted me £975, Cat 1 Alarm, No Tracker, Protected NCD, Business use.

2) Does anyone know the exact model number for the STI v7 Prodrive Style? (Will help with 1) above as they did not know it).

3) Has anyone got any feedback on Newera, specifically with STIs?

I hope someone out there can help, the sooner I know the quicker the order goes in!

Steve.
Old 29 October 2003, 05:35 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Flookster,

Hopefully I can help with some of your questions:

I assume you DO mean an STi7 as opposed to the current car (Sti8)? If yes then the Prodrive version with the big wing on the back was something that Prodrive UK did. They also added side skirts, and, I think, changed the front bumper. As far as I am aware you cannot import this car in that bodystyle spec. However you could import a standard Sti7 and then make the bodywork alterations as appropriate. Sti7 Prodrive and non-prodrive cars are absolutely identical in performance, without the PPP upgrade (see later).

You can "upgrade" the engine's performance via the installation of a PPP (Prodrive Performance Pack) which consists of revised ECU, fuel pump and exhaust system. This takes the car up to circa 300bhp and 299 torque (go to Prodrive's website for the exact details).

With regards to insurance I suggest you try Liverpool Victoria. There are a lot of us insured with them as they are quite reasonable. I dont have any experience of the insurance company you quote.

Again I can't help you with Newera, maybe other board members will offer their opinions on this.

Hope this helps; feel free to come back or email me offline if you wish.

Incidentally I have an Sti7, brought in as a parallel import from new, as I wasn't prepared to pay silly UK money for it. Subsequent movements in the car market have proved that to be an astute financial choice!

I used the money saved on external mods, which have created a fairly individual and tough looking car. I judge the success of this conversion via the numerous positive comments I get from people in the streets, at petrol stations, etc. You might want to consider that route also, rather than imitate Prodrive's styling?

Good luck.

WB
Old 29 October 2003, 05:49 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

If you are importing an STi7 from Japan, won't it be pushing 300 bhp out of the box, negating the need for the PPP??

As said above, you cannot import an STi7 Prodrive, cos they are already here as an offical UK car!
Old 29 October 2003, 08:44 PM
grabber
Scooby Regular

no need for the ppp
Old 29 October 2003, 08:55 PM
Listy
Scooby Regular

I have a 98 PPP Terzo and the wife has a 97 FTO GR....

Both are insured with A-Plan and i find them first class an highly competitive.

If it helps
Old 29 October 2003, 09:16 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Flookster,

If its a Jap import you won't need the PPP, but WILL need to watch what fuel you use. If its an European import, even one from Cyprus, then you probably will want to look at PPP at some stage. Hope that clears up any confusion.

Cheers

WB
Old 29 October 2003, 09:24 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Wink

I do believe that 1000 STi7 Prodrive versions were made (Front bumper(barge board style), Side skirts, Large spioler and blue rev/speedo dail ) so bar from some cosmetic's changes and £1500 no different to STi7UK

IIRC 800 were for UK consumpsion (STi7typeUK's) and the other 200 went to EU I suppose this is classed as a STi7EU Prodrive version and therefore no different to a STi7EU(except cosmetically) Probably no tracker, possibly no underseal or Cat1 alarm as std.

Most insurance companies aren't very good when it comes to Scoobies but try Scofields or Liverpool Victoria

IMHO, AFASIR etc etc.

Tony

Trending Topics

Old 30 October 2003, 10:24 AM
Flookster
Scooby Newbie

Thanks to all of you that replied to my original email. I'll try Liverpool Victoria for an insurance quote.

Interesting comments regarding the STi V7 Prodrive Style not being a Jap import model.

Here is a link to FuturAuto's website, certainly looks like a car located in Japan? This was the car that gave me the inspiration to change.

http://www.futurautos.co.uk/car_information.asp?car_id=44

Its got Prodrive headlights and the additional styling.

I guess the best thing to do would be to actually locate a model number, I'll start searching.

Did someone in the group buy this car? Just a thought.

Steve.