Sponsored by:

beautiful bugeye?

Search this Thread

Old 25 October 2003, 04:36 PM
jimmymc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

am i the only one who actually likes the bugeye? am i a bit perverse or do i just have bad taste.......mind you i did always like tina from s club better than hannah....and prefer the one with the big nose from mysteeq.? is it just me? proud uk300 owner!
Old 25 October 2003, 04:39 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

There is nothing wrong with the New age Impreza's! It's a simple matter of choice. Though with the benefit of having owned a new age, I do prefer my classic.
dave
Old 25 October 2003, 04:43 PM
MadGrip
Scooby Regular

try here for your answer Bugeyes

Phil
Old 25 October 2003, 04:48 PM
jimmymc
Scooby Regular

top motor phil!
Old 25 October 2003, 05:19 PM
Ru$$Rip
Scooby Regular

The Bugeye is far superior than the classic. The handling, setup, brakes (4-pot) are far superior than their predecessor. The interior is more luxurious, modern and houses all the toys such as air-con, full exlectrics, heated jet/wing mirrors and cd as standard. The exteriors lines are also sleek and modern and dont forget are exactly the same as the MY03 which so many people have been qouted as saying is Beatiful! The standard BUGEYES which were an obvious easy target can be replaced for less than 300 quid - Dont lose sight of that. The engine is more refined than the classic - The turbo is introduced more progressivly so may not 'seem' as quick as the classic. The wonder that is ECUTEK3 can transform the standard WRX engine into a 300 bhp STI beater for as little as 500 pounds (Subject of course to a full-decat).

Well there you have it - have you guessed what car I drive yet?

Old 25 October 2003, 05:48 PM
WELBY
Scooby Regular

Talking

Another proud UK300 owner.
Old 25 October 2003, 05:51 PM
lucky_strike
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I'm a fan of the bugeye (but I own one so I am biased).

I think Subaru have a problem though. They updated the 'classic' and lots of people didn't/don't like it but what should they do? They are in the market of making money, to do that they have to make and sell more cars and to do that they have to make vehicles with mass market appeal and to do that they need to follow certain trends set by other manufacturers in the market. Quality is always being improved, and many times that means heavier components and a heavier car so...Uprating the engine is an option but then that often can mean more emissions and the regulations are always getting tighter and tighter so again not helping mass market appeal and upsetting the classic owner.

I think they tried to find a happy medium of some improvement in quality, looks (well they tried and did need to move the design forward), rigidity (if only for the rally car) and probably some more things but at the end of the day they dodn't have the R&D budgets of some of the major manufacturers (comes back to not selling as many) so we get the bugeye (and now the facelift of it).

So the bugeye looks a bit quirky compared with many cars but if they make the next models like every other Jap or European car out there then will it still feel special driving and owning one?

It still gets the most looks when I'm driving it of any car I own, the Tesco delivery guy's love it when they are delivering the shopping and the window cleaner can't stop commenting on it when he comes for his cash.

I'm more than happy with my first venture into Scooby ownership, bugeye it is for me currently (although the new Legacy looks quite nice).
Old 25 October 2003, 06:26 PM
wrxbugeye
Scooby Newbie

Beautiful?

Well no.

All Subarus are basically ugly cars - just look at early "classics" (why do they call them that?). I went through real deliberations and sleepless nights about trading a BMW (which was undoubtably beautiful) for my first Subaru (a new 98 turbo) which I considered ugly and agricultural by comparison, further compounded by a truly awful interior.

However, after a few (very quick) miles, I realised Imprezas are not about beauty or interiors or fuel consumption or refinement or any of the usual car things.

What Imprezas are about is getting from A to B in the fastest possible time with minimal perspiration and they do that with consumate ease. Basically it is an £18,000 mechanical package in a £19,000 car.

The bugeye dosn`t feel as quick (an isn`t) as the earlier turbos however, I suspect on a normal A road you would be hard pushed in a "classic" to get a long way ahead of a bugeye (which has better brakes anyway).

I wonder if the people who slam the ugly bug have owned imprezas as long as me or other bug owners on average. Or perhaps they may new to impreza ownership?

Also, the new blob is just as ugly - do not be decieved into thinking it is anything else. When Subaru starts making beautiful cars and stops concentrating on the important things - thats when I will look for an alternative.
Old 25 October 2003, 07:14 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

The most important thing is they look evil in other people rear view mirrors!!!
Old 25 October 2003, 08:31 PM
v5 man
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bugeye owner here. yes the bugeye is not the most beautiful car in the world, and the classic looks better IMHO. but, the bugeye makes the classic look very dated and the interior is 100% better.its personnal taste at the end of the day. lets just hope the classics Vs bugeye wars dont commence now
for me it was a simple case of seat adjustment. my wife is 5ft nowt, and the classic seats dont adjust as much as the pump action bugeye ones for her to see over the steering wheel.
Old 25 October 2003, 08:49 PM
Glenn_R
Scooby Regular

Smile

Remember, beauty is in the eye of the beholder! or something like that
Old 25 October 2003, 09:04 PM
bluto22b
Scooby Regular

No, the phrase goes "beauty is in the eye of the bugeye-holder"
Old 25 October 2003, 09:09 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

I wonder if the people who slam the ugly bug have owned imprezas as long as me or other bug owners on average. Or perhaps they may new to impreza ownership?
Over 5 years first was a new UK 1998 turbo which I swapped for a new MY00 RA which I still have. Yes I didnt like the styling or performance when I came to swap the MY98. Each to his/her own though.
Old 25 October 2003, 09:41 PM
Gary C
Scooby Regular

What gets me is how much I hated the bugeye when it came out. I have a blob now and think the bug looks good while the classics are starting to look a little (though not too much, and not that it matters) dated (flame suit on).

Things do move on (except in EVO land, bring back the V!)