Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a new MY03 or bugeye on price?

Search this Thread

Old 17 October 2003, 08:20 AM
Peter Horlock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello its very close to the time of buying an impreza, but i've got the money for a second hand bugeye wagon, or motorpoint have a MY03 wagon for £17K, problem is its a cyprus import so no UK warrenty. Has anybody purchased one this way or would you stick with the uk one so that it could serviced by UK dealers.

Cheers
Old 17 October 2003, 08:46 AM
Lanes
Scooby Regular

Personally, I stuck with UK car from UK Dealer. Mainly because I wanted a good warranty, but reading other threads on here, that might not be the case!
Old 17 October 2003, 09:07 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I certainly wouldn't recommend Motorpoint. Their cars are sourced in Cyprus and so are from outside the EU, therefore there is no 3yr warranty. In fact, as regards Subaru UK and IM there is no warranty at all. All you get is Motorpoints own which would be about as good as the warranty I could give you (I'm a printer )

Save a little longer if you want an MY03, you should be able to haggle a new one for £18.6ish, and they're starting to trickle onto the S/H market for £17ish (or £15ish for EU imports). I'm hanging on myself to see how many appear on the market come the 04 reg.
Old 17 October 2003, 09:08 AM
kentscooby2
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

not sure this will help - but when decided to change my classic, after much testing, soul searching etc, decided that the difference between WRX03 and bugeye significant enough to hold out for newer car. Of course budget HAS to be the deciding factor - but perhaps if wait another 6 months might be able to save tad more and find 1yr old WRX03?

Agree re warranty/UK car issue
Old 17 October 2003, 09:23 AM
dr_ming
Scooby Regular

You should be able to knock ~£1,200 off the price at an authourised dealer, so buying from Motorpoint makes no sense by the time you've added on all the extras and factor in the lower resale value.

Get a quote from Tins (www.tins.co.uk), stick it under the nose of your local dealer and ask them to match the price (you could even buy it from Tins of course, they are proper UK sourced cars). Make sure you get them to agree that the OTR price includes 12 months tax, mats and a full tank of fuel before you do it though. I forgot this, and the dealer I bought it from wouldn't give me any petrol!

[Edited by dr_ming - 10/17/2003 10:11:14 AM]
Old 17 October 2003, 09:57 AM
stanmo
Scooby Regular

Aren't UK cars sprayed with underbody sealant to deal with our
wet, salty, winter roads ?

I didn't think imports were treated like this, since it never seems to rain in Cyprus.
Old 17 October 2003, 10:29 AM
iDLe*
Scooby Regular

Just traded my Import Golf 1.8T for a Scoobs sourced through a main dealer. My Golf was an ideal import, personally bought over from Belgium in 2000 before I bought it a year later. Was top spec and never did anything wrong in the 40K miles plus VW recognised the warranty (1 year not 3) and would extend it to the full 3 years for £500 - I figured I'd never spend £500 during that time so I opted to risk it and it paid off.

The Scoobs.

Could get a Spanko Black or Silver WRX for £17K from a local importer (largest imported in the UK) but I heard bad things about the 'grey' Cyrus imports. Firstly no Stereo or Alarm fitted, also no warranty what so ever, and this dealer does not offer any come backs after purchase, only Subaru would be able to help but they told me they would not touch these cars. I decided to go for a 11 month old 1 owner UK supplied WRX with 8K miles with tracker option already on the car, still cost 16K but I know my car has been looked after and serviced correclty and has a full warranty, Tracker and breakdown cover, all very important!!

Booked the car in for a check over already as it has noisy heater fan, Stereo cuts out and Screen washer does not work, all little niggles I know but I bet its costly to repair without warranty!

Sorry for going on but my basic advice is some imports are fine and make sense, newish scoobs I feel you need to get from an authorised UK dealer!

[Edited by iDLe* - 10/17/2003 10:30:35 AM]
Old 17 October 2003, 10:42 PM
AR
Scooby Regular

When I looked at an 03 WRX wagon at Motorpoint it had no side airbags and many of the warning signs were in arabic as well as English. The lack of side airbags must make these cars worth a lot less on re-sale as it clearly shows them not to be UK spec. Did'nt bother looking into vehicle security, extended warranty or underseal after I found that out!
Old 17 October 2003, 11:17 PM
stiler83
Scooby Regular

Have a word with Well Lane Turbos.
http://www.well-lane.co.uk/a.htm

Old 18 October 2003, 10:01 AM
nuzzer
Scooby Newbie

I got a brand new 03 wrx wagon from a main dealer for 18995 including mica paint. Thants about £500 cheaper than tins.

Good luck!