Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to drive a STi Type R?

Search this Thread

Old 13 October 2003, 04:58 PM
peccy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i often go for 'spirited' drives in my scoob usually with the south yorkshire scooby posse around the twistie B roads of darbyshire, am soon to get my type r and wondering what peoples driving methods are with this model? espcially with the adjustable diff etc.?

cheers, peccy
Old 13 October 2003, 05:13 PM
ragnarock2
Scooby Regular

FAST!

Although, in the wet, make sure to put the diff lock forward a notch or two (unless you like tail slidey style action - which sadly, my wife doesnt - in fact, the trade off for fishtailing with 'er in the car is a black eye )

Don't generally touch the diff lock unless it is wet or icy (as above)

Set waterspray to auto (and fill up waterspray bottle 2-3 times a week)!

Most importantly SMILE!!!
Old 13 October 2003, 05:50 PM
StiShrek
Scooby Regular

Went for a blast in mine at the weekend and realised for a point-to-point cross country machine nothing really comes close to a Type R.

Cannot think of anything that could stay with it on a twisty B-road like snake-pass bar the big boy toys like a GT3.

All to do with the ferocious pick-up/grunt in each close-ratio gear.

Work that gearbox and trust it around the bends!!!!!!!!!!

PS - I got some rally harnesses fitted to hold me and the terrified missus on thrashing sessions.

[Edited by StiShrek - 10/13/2003 6:02:26 PM]
Old 13 October 2003, 06:42 PM
sg72
Scooby Regular

Eibach springs, solid drop links and GSD3s.

No understeer and enough feel to know when to adjust steering input

DCCD on loose chippy backroads and wet.

Enjoy.

Old 13 October 2003, 06:54 PM
DrunkenDuck
Scooby Regular

Hi
Pick up my Type RA this week.
Forgive my ignorance whats DCCD ???
Also on the dif lock what is the normal position for it and can anyone give a more detailed description of what it does please.
Thanks in advance for any info
Old 13 October 2003, 06:58 PM
S.B.
Scooby Regular

Set waterspray to auto (and fill up waterspray bottle 2-3 times a week)!
On a hot day i have to make it 2-3 times a day

Old 13 October 2003, 07:00 PM
Leviathan
Scooby Regular

We like these alot, what a car!

Anyone have Mr Felsteads thread for Drunken Duck??

[Edited by Leviathan - 10/13/2003 7:03:25 PM]

Trending Topics

Old 13 October 2003, 07:22 PM
dead_neurons
Scooby Regular

DCCD = Driver Control Centre Diff.

Allows you to redistribute the drive from the 65-35% to 50-50% at full lock. It progressively locks the drive between the front and rear wheels.

Never turned mine up at all yet, its not been wet enough/icy yet. And if it ever slips up by accident (careless wife stroking handbrake etc) the noises it makes soon make you turn it back off!

where abouts in sheff are you peccy? and who are the sheffield posse? I've seen a couple of scoobs round Woodhouse/Handsworth area but no ones waved back yet

/2ob
--
White WRX STi Type RA
Old 13 October 2003, 09:23 PM
j_p_h
Scooby Regular

Would have normally been peccy in handsworth till he sold it. Is it a sonic blue classic you see m8 as a lad has got one round that way with peccys old spoiler on i think.
Old 13 October 2003, 11:28 PM
SCOOBNOV
Scooby Regular

He all,, just got my STI.TR.VER5,,,, THE MUTTS ****S !!!

Would welcome any advice on driving tips??

Compared to my last ride which was an M3EVO, this definatly has the grin factor!!

does any1 know about fuelcut??

cheers guys
Old 14 October 2003, 12:10 AM
DrunkenDuck
Scooby Regular

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...=143750&Page=1

Found that thread....makes excellent reading
Thanks to the author johnfelstead

[Edited by DrunkenDuck - 10/14/2003 12:11:25 AM]
Old 14 October 2003, 10:44 AM
peccy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

dead_neurons, could have been, quite a few of us round this end of town, 3 of mates got same colour and also know of a few more abouts, once saw a white RA heading out of town on parkway a couple week back, looked nice, quite a few mods?
Old 14 October 2003, 11:38 AM
Thunderlips
Scooby Regular

Yo! I think the RA you saw was me!! I was heading north to Scotland and in trying to avoid an accident on the M1 got lost!!
I ended up travelling along really mad B roads to the M6!! Heartbeat roads and all that. As for driving tips, Drive it like you just F****n stole it, young man!!
Old 14 October 2003, 11:42 AM
Gedi
Scooby Regular

My advise is to drive it carefully until you have gotten used to it. When I first got mine it was summer and always dry. I wondered what all the fuss was about with the grip issue as you could come on boost round corners and it would just squat and stick no problem.

Then my first bout of wet / coldish weather came, I was approaching some traffic lights (straight road) which I expected to turn red so I slowed down.....got to second gear and they were still on green so I booted it. The car picked up speed and came on boost. The back wheels lit up and the car started snaking. I went through the lights (4 lane ends) with the back going from left to right. It nearly spun, caught me completly off guard.

A few weeks later I was taking a bird out I met the week before. It was raining again. I was going through 2 roundabouts (the notorious ones in Worsley near The Bridgewater if any one knows them) only doing about 25mph. Came off the second roundabout, chatting away, not really paying too much attention to the car, third gear...must have came on boost accidentally...whatever, I don't really know, I was too busy making conversation. When I looked back through the windscreen, it was too late, I had already done 180 degrees and had another 360 degrees to follow.

Needless to say, she never rung me again....lol....

I went straight out that weekend with the car, onto a large tarmac carpark and taught myself how to control the car, and more importantly, how to judge the behaviour of the car.

I can now get the tail out, 4 wheeled drift etc....nothing spectacular, but enough to get me out of sticky situations. I always underestimated this car, but I realised I was only puching it to 20% of its capability. I probably push it to about 60% now. I would be far to scared to go any higher.

This car has earned my respect, its a frikin dangerous toy!!!!
Old 14 October 2003, 01:46 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Agree with Gedi-

The Type Rs and RAs are massively capable- probably more so than the majority of us- but when they bite you it ain't nice.

Best advice is to learn what the car is telling you. Take note of the first twitches and either be ready for them or learn when you're approaching the limit.

Its all very well driving it like your **** is on fire if you know the car well and you are 110% focussed on what you're doing.

If you're not 110% committed they swap ends fecking quickly, and you need to be ready for it.

Don't let yourself get in a position where enthusiasm overcomes skill.

Sorry to be a wet blanket, but I have had quite a few Rs and RAs now, so am fairly used to them. If you use the power wisely you won't find much that is quicker. Just be ready before you provoke it.

In the wet, if you are really pressing on, or there is standing water, click the diff forwards either one click, or two on to the first orange.

You won't come across many circumstances when you need to lock it fully forwards, and bear in mind the more clicks forward the more it will understeer.

One or two clicks will make quite a difference to the handling and will improve the braking efficiency.

John Felstead (and quite a few other scoobynetters) has a massive amount of knowledge of the diff settings so look out for his posts. His RA gets used very heavily on track and I would imagine he'll contribute to this thread.

Hope this helps and is considered constructive.

Enjoy,
Simon;D

ps. another point worth mentioning- you don't see that many damaged repairables. they are usually biggies when the probably let go
Old 14 October 2003, 01:52 PM
peccy
Scooby Regular

suppose to find the cars limits you need to reach them and go beyond them, preferably on a runway/car park!
Old 14 October 2003, 01:54 PM
Scooby_Dan.
Scooby Regular

Drive it like you drove your turbo 2000....... Pedal to the metal & dont let off....
Old 14 October 2003, 02:06 PM
peccy
Scooby Regular

Old 14 October 2003, 02:53 PM
dead_neurons
Scooby Regular

Smile

might have been me on the park way too... sometimes go into sheff , but every day i get on at handsworth/catcliffe and down towards the M1 for the daily drag to Ossett

Im in a White WRX STI Type RA too.

Didn't realise there was so many of us round woodhouse/handsworth - i never see any of you shady buggers, you're all hiding.

/2ob
Old 14 October 2003, 08:37 PM
Kane
Scooby Regular

1.Expect the un-expected from other road users.

2.Never come off the throttle on corners(Kick out)

3.If your not sure/in doubt on the road surface click up that Diff control, The further up the diff the more control you will have and the happier you will feel with the conditions.If you get any diff vibration switch to diff free then back on...Never drive slowly with diff control on - a DCCD warning from manual - you Get all sorts or bad sounds and vibration at low speed.

4.(STI RA=NO ABS)Thus if heavy breaking try and break in a straight line(used ever since last track day myself). Was also told on same track day to try and over-ride the instinct to panic break and try to drive yourself out of the situation..

5.Always look further up the road/track to assess position/speed.

6.Trackday Quote "Never drive beyond your ability" this applies to the track and road.

I must admit that since the trackday i have learned loads about the car and its handling...Maybe thats the best way to find the limits of your driving and the car, it certainly helped me 200% for normal day to day driving.
Old 14 October 2003, 08:45 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Kane reminds me of a couple of points worth mentioning;

If manoevering with the diff locked, you'll sh*t yourself at the noises it makes. Pull the handbreak slightly to temporarily release the diff, or don't try to manoevre with the diff locked.

When braking hard with the diff locked forward it will knock and bang like crazy. this is normal.
Old 15 October 2003, 10:19 AM
peccy
Scooby Regular

cheers for the advice, think ill be giving the car more respect then my uk turbo!
Old 15 October 2003, 05:53 PM
Higgs
Scooby Regular

it would probably b easyer 2 learn how 2 drive one if u have never owned a impreza before as u will b wary of it as soon as u get in the car if u have owned a impreza without diff control and u try 2 drive it like one u could get yourself into big trouble as i nearley did even in the dry. But once u learn how to drive it and how to control the 4 wheel drifts it is much more fun 2 drive