Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

SVA question?

Search this Thread

Old 12 October 2003, 07:57 PM
mr smash
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need 2 fit a foglight 2 my wrx .ive got 1 thst fits flush into the bumper[u cut a hole 4 it].can some1 tell me what the SVA requirements 4 this are I.E.how high off the floor must it be and does it need 2 be parallel [directly under]the brake light or something like that........dont want 2 get this wrong.
Old 12 October 2003, 08:44 PM
OdD KiDS OtHeR MatE
Scooby Regular

I'll check the rules for ya as am in teh same boat but as long as it's on the R/H side, it should be o.k to use as you describe or under the bumper or even a 'UK' lamp which already has a fog lamp facility in it. That's what I'm gunna do, then refit my STi lamps afterwards and possibly adapt a reverse lamp to foglamp spec as others have done? -not gooed enouigh for SVA but o.k for M-O-T I hear unless you get a real smart tester..

one important thing to remember... make sure the wiring (infact any wiring) is taped the the main loom every 6 inches. They are strict on this! good luck. What car are you testing?
Old 12 October 2003, 09:27 PM
Jap Imports
Scooby Regular

Yea Middle or to the right of the middle then its ok, dosen't matter on height, underneath the bumper or in ur reverse light is ok.
Old 12 October 2003, 09:37 PM
ian/555
Scooby Regular

All this is off the top of my head, so please forgive me if it is not correct. Foglight should not be within 10 cm of any other light unit and a minimum of at least 25 CMs off the ground. Oh and if you fit a pair of fog lights they have to be exactly the same distance from the centreline of the car and in the same position. Individual Fog lights should be fitted to the Off side of the Car, so anywhere on the right of the centreline is ok as long as it meets the other distance rules. Make sure that the switch has a tell tale, i.e it lights up when the foglight is switched on. Also make sure that all new wiring is inserted inside conduit/sleaving and is fixed to the car every 30 CMs or so, where the wires pass through the body of the car, make sure you use a suitable grommet so as to avoid chaffing. Make sure any after market turbo timers etc are either removed or hidden behind panels. Generally the SVA testers are a OK bunch of Guys if you are a private individual having a test done. They will if not pushed for time be helpful.
hth ian
Old 12 October 2003, 10:31 PM
PALATINE
Scooby Regular

Location: back from, and now plotting to return to, Nordschleife
just don't go to the one in Speke in Liverpool and get Bob!!!
Talk about "Jobsworth"!!
Old 13 October 2003, 12:39 AM
mr smash
Scooby Regular

thanks ladds testing my 96 wrx v-limited.
Old 13 October 2003, 10:26 AM
OdD KiDS OtHeR MatE
Scooby Regular

Let us know how you get on...

Still can't decide whether to get someone to test mine -for a fixed fee or to do it myself... Just in case I miss something stoopid like?