ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bugeye a damp squib?

Search this Thread

Old 10 October 2003, 01:45 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Before I get flamed let me explain......I bought an old MY96 wagon cheaply some months ago. I bought this in preference to a good deal I was offered on one of the cosmetically challenged later models as I decided 10K in my pocket was probably a good idea. I've scoobyECU'd the car and it seems fairly nippy now. I have no idea what BHP it is now but 240 BHP on 98 RON fuel seems a reasonable guess.

Last week I had a little run with a saloon bugeye (the owner later told me this was a UK300 although it had no badging to indicate this) and I was shocked at how slow it was. I know the bugeye is heavier but my old car DESTROYED the UK300 from a standing start from traffic lights onto a dual carriageway. I was a large number of metres ahead right upto the point I had to brake, bear in mind my start was very clutch friendly. I expected to be soundly thrashed by the bugeye but the opposite turned out to be the case.

We stopped later at a nearby garage and I had the opportunity to talk to the driver (Mark, I hope you read this now I've told you about scoobynet)who said he runs his car on 95 Ron UL and confirmed it was a UK300. He seemed to think his car had 300BHP-unmodified-AFAIK the UK 300 had more like 250BHP.

Is the difference is performance due to power/weight ratio's alone? Is the bugeye really so slow? Would the enhanced brakes and I presume handling even things out in the twisties?

I was considering buying a newer scoob in preference to my other choice a JABBA'd Skoda 4X4 but this has really put me off.
Old 10 October 2003, 01:54 PM
nellie
Scooby Regular

A UK300 is just a standard WRX with body mods and 18s,if you add PPP its about 245bhp,now my STI7 with about 80hp(325) more would be a different matter,the UK300 was a limited edition before the STI was launched,like the name only 300 made not 300BHP!!.

[Edited by nellie - 10/10/2003 1:55:49 PM]
Old 10 October 2003, 01:56 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

I thought the UK300 was a standard car with cosmetic 'improvements'. i.e. 215bhp. The car was badged up as new and owners wouldn't normally remove these, also a distinctive spoiler. 240bhp in a slightly lighter car would defeat, but not destroy IMHO.
Old 10 October 2003, 02:02 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
It had the odd looking bent spoiler on it as well as odd(er) looking headlights than a normal bugeye. No badging at all though, not even WRX or anything.

When I say destroyed I really mean it as he must have been 50-60Metres down over a good long run (we both went for it). Would the 95 RON fuel make such a difference? He didn't mention PPP so perhaps he had just the 215BHP. He seemed to think it had 300bhp though. Whatever the case it seemed very slow.
Old 10 October 2003, 02:11 PM
rickybouy
Scooby Regular

SO????
Old 10 October 2003, 02:15 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

A modded old shape car will be quicker than a standard UK WRX car.. the WRX is a lot heavier... ?????

Not sure i'd describe it as a damp squib though...

Its a lot quicker with a PPP...

Jza
Old 10 October 2003, 02:24 PM
NACRO
BANNED

what do you mean So, Ricky?

I've been thinking of buying a newer Impreza as I've enjoyed mine so much and I don't want anything slower although I'm sure the new car is better in terms of handling and braking if not outright speed.

Let me assure you in comparison the bugeye was a lot slower, although I'm sure a modded one would put in a good performance. It's a question of bangs per buck, my current car cost me less than 6.5K including ECU/wheel upgrade. The bugeyes I've been looking at stand to cost me about 10K cash when I trade the old car in. Alternatively I can spend about 6K and get a Jabba'd MY01/02 Octavia 4x4 which will match the UK300 in terms of acceleration. The Skoda is looking like an attractive option at the moment.

Trending Topics

Old 10 October 2003, 02:41 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hijack, but.....

£6k for a Octavia 4X4 sounds good. What sort of mileage would you be looking at for that price?
Old 10 October 2003, 02:42 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Unhappy

I'm afraid that the 6K was including a leggy MY96 Impreza wagon in the deal (for an almost brand new 'tavia with 6K miles on it).

edited to add: from a main dealer and including some very tasty extras)

[Edited by NACRO - 10/10/2003 2:43:15 PM]
Old 10 October 2003, 02:46 PM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

Again it comes down to the driver, how fast he changes gear, how far he revs it in each gear and so on.
I've been up against an STI 7 (standard)in my non standard WRX Fugly and detroyed it upto 90mph, his bigger Turbo then allows a certain amount of catch up.
I have had a classic with a large blitz rear pipe, and other mods as he put it(have a go)only to look totaly embaressed when i p#ss all over him,funny enough his words were 'I thought they were slow and heavy'.
Damp squib standard maybe, but not with some gentle improvements.

Zippy (Long live the Bugeye)
Old 10 October 2003, 02:56 PM
Duck_Pond
Scooby Regular

Wink

I thought the Bugeye was RIP already, Zippy? It's the Blob-eye now isn't it? Looks better for it too. Though the bugeyes look almost okay with that headlamp conversion kit on them...
Old 10 October 2003, 02:58 PM
yoza
BANNED

I got blown away by a Saxo.

In my standard'ish Bugeye.

It was at the lights, and it was wet, in a straight line, zero to about 80-90, and I was with my mates, and I was pi55ed off.

The only words of support from my passengers were, "you cant drive", "are you sure this is a turbo?", and "if that happens again Ill kill you!".

Later Yoza(top jockey)
Old 10 October 2003, 03:03 PM
nellie
Scooby Regular

If this car had had 300bhp he would of known about it believe me!!!! look at the mods Edcase has done to be just short of the 300bhp mark,hes done LOTS!!!!!!headers,re-map fuel pump etd etc,i think he must of thought that the UK300 meant 300bhp not 300 made!!My STI7 goes like stink at about 325bhp so what these scoobys and evos with 350+ go like bloody hell!!!!!

[Edited by nellie - 10/10/2003 3:06:14 PM]
Old 10 October 2003, 03:05 PM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

Yoza, come and have a go of mine, you will be converted but your car may well feel worse after it and your oversized wallet will take a bashing (Upgrading)
I got shouted at by my beloved for overtaking a Saxo VTS at above 70mph in Runcorn, just to prove my point.His face was a picture what with all that muscle he thought he had under his bonnet.

Zippy
Old 10 October 2003, 03:20 PM
yoza
BANNED

I would love to drive your car, but I couldnt put up with all them blokes blowing me kisses!

On a serious note, Im looking forward to seeing your Well Lane results.

To be honest I need to learn how to drive before I get anymore power, whenever I get into a tussle, Im to slow to react. By the time Ive realised that I have to change down when in 5th doing 40mph, the opposition has disappeared.
Old 10 October 2003, 03:58 PM
Boss Hogg
Scooby Regular

using 95 u/l does make a difference, and in standard 215 trim the WRX is as flat as a fart - it's dead below 4k. I also reckon that the 245 ppp'd Wrx's/UK300 don't ahve as much 'ooomph' as the standard car with a full scoobysport system, mine even felt faster than a blobeye with the 265 ppp - mind you it had about 1500 mile son the clock so was a bit tight...

So you prob did wipe the floor with him. And I'm a bugeye owner.
Old 10 October 2003, 04:00 PM
rickybouy
Scooby Regular

Wink

Narco, sorry looking back at what i wrote it may have appeared a bit arsey , but i wasn't being i can assure you, it was more a comment on the fact that any modded car over standard car will normally win i am in agreement with Nellie that the guy who had the supposed UK300 would have "known his car" if he had owned one of these limited run machines, but anyway good to see the old ones still doing well mate but had you been up against a sti bugeye with ppp i think the tables could have been turned so if i was you i'd trade her and go bugeye i am gonna!!!!!

Rick
Old 10 October 2003, 05:43 PM
banshi
Scooby Regular

I, reluctantly, concur with Zippy.

Well at least as far as driver ability and mechanical sympathy are concerned, it can make a big difference.

The WRX and it's cosmetically improved successor felt slow to me and I easliy outdragged a friends car.

An Sti was not competitive until PPPd, then the gearstick needed to be stirred so hard I'd need a course in merangue making to get the best from it.

Maybe not a damp squib, certainly not a rocket, possibly a Catherine Wheel? Well perhaps not after all you can actully look at those

Old 13 October 2003, 06:39 PM
wrxbugeye
Scooby Newbie

I would agree. When I fisrt tried the bugeye after owning 98 turbo2000 for four years, I was deeply unimpressed with the performance. However, the car is much quieter and I am sometimes shocked when I look at the speedo therefore perhaps it only feels slower (although bound to be a bit due to extra weight). With 20k on the clock I think it is now improving.
One point though. I grant you the bugeye is plug ugly (although surprisingly didn`t get into the AOL list of the ugliest cars ever)I think the new blobeye is just as bad (if not worse). Anyway, nobody ever bought a subaru because it looked nice!
Old 13 October 2003, 07:13 PM
AndyBrew
Scooby Regular

Am I the only person that likes the look of the Bug eye????

New age cars are considerably slower than classics period. My mates RB5 keeps up with my STi8 PPP without any problems

Just look at the santa pod times your looking at 14.5 seconds in a new STi8 PPP for the 1/4 mile, a lot of classics seem capable of running low 13's with considerably less HP!
Old 13 October 2003, 07:25 PM
Tez_H
Scooby Regular

Talking

ive got a bug-eye!
i like it though when i first got it i was pricing up the morrette conversion...
but now its grown on me ... am gonna leave em ...
and more because no one-else seems to like them!

as they only ran the shape for two years they will look less common than the classic and the blob-eye (which will be around till '07! when the next version is supposed to come out...)

and with regards to performance... well i went on the tour of derbyshire the other week and well... ok i only have a standard uk WRX but i wasnt exactly being left behind too much... was following classic wrx imports with full and partial decats so on the cornering it was ok, off the line and out of bends i fell back a little but not much (i think they were waiting for me maybe )
dont think i am going to mod it either... plus it was so quiet i couldnt even tell it was running when sitting next to any of the decats in the car park!

will just trade it in, in a couple of years for a STI blob!
Old 13 October 2003, 07:29 PM
wakeboardar
Scooby Regular

uk 300 is a fine car you not a scooby fan if you dis it in fact your a ********
Old 13 October 2003, 07:40 PM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

Talking

You would'nt of beat my UK300
Old 13 October 2003, 08:06 PM
MadGrip
Scooby Regular

A modded old shape car will be quicker than a standard UK WRX car.. the WRX is a lot heavier

And A modded Bugeye would beat a standard classic

Dosnt make any sense ????
Old 13 October 2003, 08:16 PM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Cool

You would'nt of beat my UK300
Now that I'd like to see.

Old 13 October 2003, 10:21 PM
Vanish
Scooby Regular

This could go on forever. I have not had the oppurtunity to meet any classics on the road that like a good run.
My new age is quick it certainly feels quick with a few mods and doesn't seem to struggle to tackle most things.
Depends on the circumstances,driver ability and all sorts of different issues at the time.
I have seen 500 bhp 2wd cars beaten when they cant get traction by 360 bhp 4x4 cars point to point that are well balanced.
I am very pleased with the shape the style and the performance so bring it on I say they will only get better as more come out of warranty and people start to push the boundaries.
Old 13 October 2003, 11:00 PM
NXG
Scooby Regular

Vanish

Not getting into the whole 'my car is faster than your car' thing, but did notice you are from Northampton. Me too. What do you drive?

Old 14 October 2003, 08:49 AM
Vanish
Scooby Regular

I have an MY01 new age in Metallic green really nice car great to drive except my tyre choice not as much grip as I would have liked.
Old 14 October 2003, 09:03 AM
v5 man
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you have driven 150 bhp cars for years and then stepped into a bugeye like me, you wouldnt be worrying about performance matching with the classic shape. you`d be like me, seeing if your smile is bigger than the next driver
Old 14 October 2003, 09:32 AM
NACRO
BANNED

quote: "uk 300 is a fine car you not a scooby fan if you dis it in fact your a ********"

Reading the thread I can't see anyone who has dissed the UK300. Personally I just wanted to know the BHP of the car as it was so convincingly beaten by my old wagon. The owner seemed to think it had 300BHP which according to those in the know here, it did not. The more I think about it the more I start to think he was talking BS. Must have been a standard 215BHP job.

One thing we all seem to agree on is that the bugeye and blobeye are better all round cars than the old classics. If somewhat slower.

Quick Reply: Bugeye a damp squib?